Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

How Long Do Boxers Live?

7K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  StormandTatesMom 
#1 ·
What is the average lifespan for boxers? I really wanna know.

Btw get more information on your pets from Pet blogish.

#2 ·
Ugh ... it depends on who you ask and where they got there dog?? 6 months to 3 years, in a case scenario, is not uncommon here. :(

Usually that would be Cancer or Heart Issues. And then after your well past that milestone, there is Degenerative myelopathy and that usually strikes in year 8 with early sighs before then ...clicking sounds fro a dragging right rear foot on hard surfaces.

The best protection against these issues is a health tested puppy form a quality breeder. More dollars up front but less "heartbreak" in the long run. Aside from those "issues" 10 years can be expected. But we do have dogs at 12 years or more on here! And I think the longest lived Boxer was at least 18 years or more!!

But that ..i s most differently not the norm!! A long lived life ...is saddly, not one of there things. My Struddell barely made it to the 10 year mark and it was DM that took her down. :(

#9 ·
Ugh ... it depends on who you ask and where they got there dog?? 6 months to 3 years, in a case scenario, is not uncommon here. :(

Usually that would be Cancer or Heart Issues. And then after your well past that milestone, there is Degenerative myelopathy and that usually strikes in year 8 with early sighs before then ...clicking sounds fro a dragging right rear foot on hard surfaces.

The best protection against these issues is a health tested puppy form a quality breeder. More dollars up front but less "heartbreak" in the long run. Aside from those "issues" 10 years can be expected. But we do have dogs at 12 years or more on here! And I think the longest lived Boxer was at least 18 years or more!!

But that ..i s most differently not the norm!! A long lived life ...is saddly, not one of there things. My Struddell barely made it to the 10 year mark and it was DM that took her down. :(

#3 ·
Yes what Chip said. I would be hopeful for 10 years, more is a plus. I would look for a breeder who health tests, not just the puppies but the sire and dam and their grandparents too. The sire & dam should be cleared of any genetic issues before being bred and it should be done after 2 years of age. That is your best bet for a healthy puppy. Otherwise you take a bigger chance at losing our pup at a younger age. Still there are no guarantee but you chances are significantly higher. I wanted a 2nd dog a year and half ago, wanted a 2nd boxer ended up with a st. poodle because I couldn't get a health tested boxer.

#6 ·
How long do Boxers live?

We've had Boxers for over 25 years and our first lived to 16 and we've only had one pass before the age of 10. Maybe we've been lucky, but one thing I always tell someone new to the Boxer breed is to have every lump or bump on them needle biopsied by your vet. That's how we've caught cancer early enough on 2 of ours early enough to have them live a long life. That's just been our experience.

#17 ·
16? I love it. My first boxer lived until 11, then my second, who was the runt, lived to 12 with cancer and my third will be 7 in April. He ate a pacifer when he was a baby and had surgery. I watch what I feed him. He is on a raw meat diet with veggies and fish. I sometimes put mint leaves in his food for his breath. So far, all is good. He also takes a long walk every day. Vinny and Roxy

Attachments

#12 ·
Every boxer I have had before the 2 I have now didn't make it past 6.5 years old. Praying for many more years but the 2 I have now are 7 and 12.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Layla is presently 11 (June 30th, HappyB gurl!) and has a few scary bumps on her but vet says they wont do anything to her since she is old and dont seem to be in any type of discomfort; in fact, apparently her heart will probably give up well before any type of cancer can sweep her away (normal old age dog cause of death, the preferable one_) I indeed notice that she cant do the long circuit we used to do every day anymore, maybe 3/4 and not every day. :(

#16 ·
Well con!graduations, and Happy B-Day, to your girl You deserve extra credit for taking on senior dog's! It takes a pretty special person to be willing do that!

I could not it do as a "choice," myself but of course if I, stumble across a "Stray In Need," ... that's a bit different. :)

But as they say ... everything is relative?? Irish Wolfhound's, life expectancy is 6 to 8 year's on Average! Now that suck's! Typically the larger the dog the shorter the life expectancy?? Boxer's are not "Large Breed Dog's!" Although, yeah male Male Boxer's compared to the girl's are "Freaking Huge! :)

Still "I" don't consider 85 lbs' a "Large Breed Dog??" "Technically Boxer's are "medium breed" dog's?? So you know they should live longer?? But sigh "apparently," cuz of "other issue's," if your Boxer can make it to the 10 year mark ... and still "Walk!" Your doing great! It just seem's to be the way it is???

"Real Dog's," don't tend to live long, it seem's?? You spend a lot of time and effort "working/training" them and one day "always," sooner then you expect they are ... Gone!? Sometime's, life suck's! :(

#21 ·
I would say about 8-10 yrs would be a nice expected life if your pup is in overall great condition, unfortunately is not always the case and this breed tends to be vulnerable to issues in the heart or cancer. In any case, boxers can be taken with a life expectancy similar to most other dogs, but you need to keep an eye on their health, any bump needs to go get checked, not left as if it's nothing (but in any case, I would recommend that to any dog parent).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.