Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank is 14 weeks now, I am still feeding him around 8-10 oz twice a day of Bule buffalo. Around when should I move from feeding him twice a day to once a day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I understand,  it is better for their health and digestive system to continue several small feedings a day rather than one large meal only fed once a day.  Just like us :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers, like all large chested dogs are subject to bloat. One of the causes is feeding to much at one time ie: one a day feedings....I would definitely continue feeding twice a day. Actually puppies are generally fed three times a day, if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well from the book I had they said twice a day while he is a puppy then once a day as an adult. But I think ill keep him on twice a day if you guys think its better. My next question would be, do I keep the same portions or follow the bag and just do what the bag says twice a day?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hector is fed three times a day, as was Tink at his age.  When he's a little older I'll reduce it to twice, but they'll both remain on twice a day as long as they live!  

If you're feeding twice a day, then obviously just halve the total daily amount - feeding twice a day doesn't mean you should feed them twice as much!

Follow the bags guidelines for how much you should be feeding based on Tank's age and weight, as the amounts will vary quite a bit until he reaches about 1 year of age.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Remember the instructions on the bag are guidelines. If your pup is devouring the food within a few minutes and still seems hungry, he may need a little more food. If he has food left in the bowl after about 15 minutes, then  you know he doesn't need as much. Since he is still a pup, he will go through growth spurts where he will need a little more food at times.
Like samsonsmom said,  boxers are prone to bloat so feeding twice a day will minimize that risk.   :wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have been keeping dry food in her bowl in the kitchen all day. Then 3 x a day I add water to her food to make it soft.  She doesn't actually eat much of the dry food, she prefers it soft.  I was just so worried about her health when we got her because she was such a tiny little runt.

She is catching up now so I will wean her off having the dry food out all day now.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have to feed Jessie twice a day... if im late getting home to feed her, as soon as i put the food in the bowl shes like a maniac...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still feed my dogs twice a day too, even though Doc is 6.  They know when it gets close to feeding time and just wont leave me alone until then.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Right now because we are having a little bit of a hard time getting Savvy to eat we free feed. I know it isnt reccommended, but i want to make sure that she has food when she is hungry. She is needing to pack on 10-15 pounds to be at the right weight. She gets yogurt added in the morning, and rice added in the evening. We have gone through three different foods so far and havent really found anything she is wanting to chow down on. Every time we try to introduce a new food, she picks around the new and will only eat the old. Then when we try to give her the food she is eating she turns her nose up!! ARGHH!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feed Cali 2 x a day, and sometimes she will even sneak a lunch in with me at work, because Mom will feed her pups, and Cali gets in on the action, but that is rare. She is doing great. I would also not reccomend feeding only 1 time daily, definately 2x a must. I am still not sure on a food yet, she is 9 1/2 weeks, and I started her on Canidae all life stages 2-3 weeks ago. She has been having digestive problems, stool problems, etc, and I am not sure if it is the food or what, so I started a blan diet, rice and cottage cheese, then ditched the cottage cheese and added chicken, and now slowly adding "By Nature" puppy chow with chicken breast boiled and rice. She is doing good with that. Be carefull about what your dog eat!! Pay close attention to what suits her best is all I can say.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
honestly, ive never even heard of cutting it down to one feeding a day

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feed my older mixed female 2x's a day: just like clock work ( almost ) and she is 10 this year.
Gus my boxer puppy is now going on 13 wks and i put 2 cups of puppy chow in his bowl and he eats when he is hungry. but i do fill the bowl in the mornings and then at the evening when i feed my other dog. And he just eats when he is hungry... probably 4-5 times he munches.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie eats around 6:30 in the morning and around 5:45-6 at night.  If it's after 6 he'll pace frantically.  Yesterday he wouldn't eat his breakfast so after it sitting for 1/2 hour I put it away until dinner.  He ate like there was no tomorrow.  I know some might not agree with starving him a bit but he has to learn that he is fed at these times since both me and wife work.  When we're at work, he is in his crate.  I do come home at lunch and take him out and let him play inside for a bit.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We feed our adults twice a day, as well; always have, always will.  Puppies are fed three times a day (depending on age) until about six months or so.  

Jeep, what you're doing is exactly what is recommended - if he doesn't eat in a certain amount of time when you feed him, pick it up until the next meal.  :)  So long as he's healthy, missing a meal here and there won't do him any harm.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Voltaire was such a difficult eater when he was small - now i make sure he always has a full bowl of food. According to a 'dog book' i had when he was a pup you were supposed to put food down 3 times a day and take it away 15mins later whether he'd eaten or not  :? - to get into a rhythm. Voltaire just wasn't into eating this way. :(  I know it's not the ideal but now he eats the quantity he wants when he wants. He eats small amounts 6/7 times a day and i've even heard him get up in the night to eat. Some days he eats a little and the next day a lot more. I'm not promoting this method in the least - just letting you know what works for him. And if he starts to get chubby (no risk at the moment) i'll regulate the quantity. I know with two dogs this wouldn't work - especially if you've got a greedy one! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts