Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
iam just wondering how long potty training should take, my last dog, she was potty trained buy like 4 months or so...
my steel is only 14 weeks old(3 months)... she is doing good at it i think,but sometimes she does sometimes she doesn't.. its getting winter where i live and we have snow now, and she doesn't like the snow/cold... so how long do u think it will take? or how long shoud it take??
thanks much
tori and Steel

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My lab mix was potty trained right away, didn't have to do any work, she came and got me when she needed to go potty (we got her at 7 weeks old) Duke is 9 months old and does a good job and has for a couple months but if I leave the spare room door open he will go in there and pee sometimes so I think it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo was pretty much potty trained the day we brought him home. But I think we were extremely lucky, especially since he came from a pet store. I think since we've had him , almost 3 months, we've only had about 3-4 accidents in the house.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It depends on your dog and you ...If your consistent and gentle with her...but it still just depends on her...some dogs take longer some don't...just be patient....you cant compare her to other dogs as she is her own dog and completely different (just like with ppl)...

G

·
0 Posts
Bruce has only pooped in the house 3 times since we got him.   He's 15 weeks old now and we got him at 8 weeks.  He pees in the house once in awhile, but always by the door, so he's trying to do whats right.  Like everyone says on here, give them treats and praise when they go outside.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sumya was very difficult to potty train. what helped me alot was that if she had an accident in the house i would take her outside immediately. she had a couple of accidents recently after being quite good. the vet told me it was regression and almost every dog  goes through it at about 7 or 8 months, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 22 month old was potty trained by 4 months and my 6 month old wasn't potty trained until she was 5 months.  I know it's a very frusturating time!  I learned that the best thing was to take her out on a leash to go to the bathroom instead of allowing her to run through the yard.  When I let her out w/out a leash, she would just play and then come in and pee.  So using a leash and letting her know that she had to go out and do her "buisness" was the best thing for us.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My vet asked me if Sophie is potty trained yet - l took that to mean at 4 months old she should be.  She is very good if I take her out, but she still has accidents, sometimes right after she comes back in.  So we are still a work in progress.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really does vary. I remember this subject came up at my meetup a few months back and the general consensus seems to be about 6 mos...Just keep in mind that accidents will happen and as they get older, don't relax, they still can happen...As far as the cold, you might want to get a sweater and some boots for her..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think that Fiona was doing really good from about 13-14 weeks if I took her out all the time and watched her pretty close.  It was not until about 6 to 7 months when she had no accidents in the house and started staying out of her crate at night without accidents.  At 8 months she would come to me and poke her nose on me to wake me up to tell me she had to go outside if I was still asleep and go and sit by the door if we were home and awake as her "sign".......As many have said all of them are different but I think at 13 weeks they are still trying to get it.

Side note: Fiona hates the rain and if it is raining she will run out there and pee but wont poop so we may have an accident during a rain.....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie was doing really well with the potty training, but then I realized his separation anxiety was a little too extreme so I had to make sure he wasn't with me 100% of the time like before.  So now he's better about being alone but regressed with the potty training!   It's frustrating but eventually I think he'll be fine in both departments.  At least he knows enough not to go in front of me, he tries to sneak into another room.  He's not big on barking so I might try the bell at the door method.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well Reese in 10 months old now and still not completly trained, she must be slow :D she does wonderfully if i am in the same room as her, but i cant trust her to roam freely for she WILL go find a place a pee/poo.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My Roxy was house- and crate-trained at 4 months old, however Jersey will be 4 months old this Monday and she still has accidents in her crate...and it seems like this last week since she figured out how to jump up on my bed, she's been peeing on it. :x  On the other hand, my Astro is a different story.  He's just over a year old and still not completely house- or crate-trained, but he has colitis, so he has a good excuse.  Pretty much if he has an upset stomach or eats something other than his special diet he can't hold his bowels.

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta is just over 14 weeks and has been housetrained if we are home for 2.5 weeks...she is crate trained fully and sleeps on the bed with us with no accidents 3-4 days a week...we haven't left her alone out of the crate yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts