Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have switched to a raw diet, how long did the detox stage last. I have had Hank on an all raw diet for about 3 weeks now. The itching is terrible and he has had hives, (mainly on his back) they are small hives but large enough to see through the hair. Other than that, his appetite is great and so is his energy level. No loose stool or throwing up. I feel so bad for him, I want to take him to the vet just to get some relief, but my wife wants to wait it out saying it is just detox. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It may take awhile before you notice anything months even..
Ok so regarding your last post, I think you were feeding way too many proteins way too fast, it may help as well to go slow in order to catch what foods your dog may react with regardless of it being raw..

What parts of a chicken are you giving Hank? Forget about the venison and anything else, focus on one protein at a time, first one is normally chicken, give your dog time to adjust to each one.How much are you giving him per meal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I am giving him a whole leg quarter as a meal.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I first started Duke with raw, all I bought was chicken quarters, they were pretty cheap, and readily available at most grocery stores. I stocked up when they were on sale, and didn't buy anything else; just chicken. I knew this would be his protein for a few weeks,although if you see a great deal on meat scoop it up. I weighed everything out on a scale, bagged the meat and froze it. First week you should remove the skin and fat, and than after that add it back in every other meal.. I think you should read the beginners guide, start off fresh. I also joined other raw forums as well, but found way too much information and it was overwheling, I always came back to consult the beginners guide here, It helped big time.
The amount you should be feeding is 2%-3% of Hanks body weight, I split that into two meals..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So starting tomorrow, we are are going to do absolutely nothing but chicken (leg quarters) and see if he can get some relief. I almost broke down and took him to the vet today but I didnt. Gave him a bath in baking soda and rubbed him down with aloe Vera gel. He is just so miserable, I just feel terrible for him

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Give him some benedryl....how much does he weigh? Dose him at 2mg per lb every 8 hrs for the first 24hrs and then decrease him to 1mg per lb every 8 hrs after the fact. Do this regime for a full 24 hrs AFTER his hives have disappeared.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hank weighs 65 lbs. I have been giving him 50mg of Benadryl in the morning and 50mg at night. I have been doin this for about 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

After only eight days of not a single thing but chicken, the results are amazing. Skin has all cleared up, not much scratching and no more FARTS. Thanks to all who posted for your help. :clap2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

The holiday didn't last long. Back to scratching like crazy. Have an appointment with a dermatologist vet Tuesday. Anybody have any experience with them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The holiday didn't last long. Back to scratching like crazy. Have an appointment with a dermatologist vet Tuesday. Anybody have any experience with them?
Oh dear.... Maybe allergic to the chicken? I feel your anguish here.
My guy has environmental allergies. After lots of vet visits and allergy testing Charlie is now on a maintenance program of Vanectyl-P tablets. I also bathe him 2x a week in a Epsom salts/apple cider vinegar mixture.
He still scratches occasionally but nothing like he used too. And, he finally gets a good nights rest.
Good luck with the dermatologist!

Edited to add, he is also eating a raw diet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, raw diet for a dog it is the worst thing that I can imagine. Why do you torment him. Imagine that you all life eat meat, have varied diet and every day took a normal doze of nutrition and after it, everything changes and you eat only vegetables all time. Will you be fine and happy? Think that know. Even people who wants to do detox, take special pills, but don't stop to eat their favorite food at all. Think that you should research this thread more. Here is a lot of info : Right To HEAL - Grow Big With SARMs , if you are interested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts