Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always swore by diamond but after the recall and lawsuit, I and starting to second guess myself. Diamond has always treated me good and my old breeders 30+ dogs good. "I come from the pitbull weightpulling /show world where 20 plus dogs were so common."
But now I have this " there is something better out there that I am not feeding". Am I the only one on this boat or is there many out there like me?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Re: How many people think that there is a better food out th

i totally agree! i have an appointment with sumyas vet tomorrow to talk about anew flood.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

I dont know how much good a vet will do in a quality food discussion. Vets are normally paid by the brand they carry in their offices, and will try to force that one brand on you. I'm sure there's a vet somewhere that does know about real quality food..but it's not common.

My dogs are on canidae. and while that's a great quality food, I keep thinking that they'd probably like the taste of merrick better. But I cant find any in my area. I always find the wet food, but no dry food bags.

I use www.dogfoodanalysis.com to check on the quality of different brands.

·
Registered
780 Posts

If you do a search on line you can find out alot of information about different foods.  Our vet actually recommended foods that they don't carry so not all vets will just try to sell you foods they have (of course some will)!  The perfect food for your dog depends on how your dog does on it.  That is why there are so many foods out there and many times you have to go through several kinds to find the right one.  We found one that our dogs are doing terrific on and they LOVE it.  We tried over 10 different brands both high and low quality before we finally found the food we use now.   After all the recall problems finding a food made in the USA only was something that we wanted and there are several foods out that that are only made in the USA.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

After recalls we are glad we feed raw.  However we do use grainless kibble as a convience here and there.  We used either Timberwolf or Taste of the Wild.   A kibble is only as good as the dog who can eat it.   You can feed the best kibble to a dog, but how can it be the best if their stomach's cannot handle it?   Best to find a human grade kibble, no cheap fillers, biproducts and one that is avilable as well as affordable.   Most people think holistic is too expensive, but its a lot cheaper than what they think!  

So best to find the ingredients your dog can handle, and then shop for a food based on that and protein level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts