Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a general question about diet.  But after reading this board, I've realized a lot of people must give quite a lot of extra food in the way of treats, whether its a daily kong filled w/ peanut butter, or just treats for rewarding good behavior.  As I try to train my own dog, it just makes me nervous that I am going to overfeed him without even realizing.  When you guys give a daily kong, do you cut back on the kibble?  Seems to me all these kongs and treats and extras have to add up and I want my pup to be trim and healthy.  Just curious what you all think about it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Very good question.  Sorry I don't have the answer for that one.  I was thinking the same thing.  I thought I was depriving my babies of all these good treats everyone else was getting.  I started giving more treats but I don't give kong filled treats daily.  Would love to know the answer to this also.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If I give mine a lot of treats, which isn't normal, I cut back on the next meal...Also if they have had a lot of exercise, I'll give them a bit of an extra in their Kong...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really bugs me that a lot of these treat packages don't have the serving size or calories on it.  They just give the protein percentages and such.  I'm not exactly buying junk either, I read all the ingredients and stick to speciality stores that sell healthy/organic stuff.  Seems like there needs to be some changes in the dog treat industry!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie gets treats every day. She doesn't get a kong everyday, usually once or twice a week with the kong. Daily she will either get a bully stick or just some natural treats like the Canidae snap biscuits or things like that. She is good in that if she is full she will just stop eating, whereas other dogs I think will continue to eat unless you take the food away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont think it is all that nessasary to overload the dog on treats.  A treat is supposed to be exactly that a treat, just like you treat yourself every once in a while so you should your dog.  Too much treats lead to too fat dogs.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I cut back on Kiahs food a bit if I am treating heavy that day.  She is supposed to get 1.25 cups in the morning and evening so i will give her 1 cup for each feeding plus her treats.  Kiah goes to the dog park 3 to 4 times a week plus our walks, playdates with her cousins (my sisters dogs) so I am not concerned that she is getting too many treats or will be overweight.  Her treats consist of PB, sweet potatoe chews, natural lamb pieces and her kibble.  She works for her treats so we keep up with her obedience commands.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I give mine a kong with peanutbutter and some very small pb and jelly biscuits or pb and banana mixed in and yogurt which they lick off a spoon once a day.  Once in a while they get a couple of chicken liver treats but I'm not afraid of putting weight on them as they are very active and I don't give them enough to add that many calories.  No longer feeding any table scraps or other stuff and the Bully, Jr. chews I was giving them are now out because they cause terrible diarreah in Sophie.  I guess too many treats could be a problem, but after the last bought with diarreah, I'm sticking to their meals and not many extras.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i give reese treats every time she goes to the bathroom outside. we just started doing this again though because at

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Like everyone else, I cut back on food if I treat a lot in a day. Also, the kong I give Sadie almost daily is tiny and we put less than a tsp in at once. Also, we use tiny treats for her with little calories as we are training her at the moment. There are treats that you can get with nutrition listed, we use Zukes mini naturals and usually if it's not listed on the package its usually listed on a website or something. Then you can calculate how many treats you can give to stay under their recommended daily intake of cals.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
honestly i dont change anything when maverick gets treats because he is training for one and also he is so skinny and energetic.  He is so active that i cant imagine the 3 cups he eats daily is enough. Not to mention he doesnt get many treats even when we are training.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sharon, great info thanks!

I just had a reminder to be careful with feeding treats to puppies.  I gave Oggie one of these treats Dogswell Chicken Breathies and he tried to swallow it whole and was choking on it.  I had to reach in and take it out of his throat.  Scary.  I'm going to stick to the small stuff until he gets a lot bigger.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
uhm ok lmaooooooooooooooooo my cat is pure siamese and 21 pounds !! lmao but hes tall and long...uhmm ya fat too hahaha

and my lab is 80 so thats good little heavy but not obese and well Isis is 83..also not obese but ya fat haha...

hmmm i guess we have to curb their stuff...lol...we have been so jammed up the past few weeks that the dogs arent running enough..i d better get on that ..just want to feel a little better first..
thank you Sharon that was great !!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thanks Sharon, great information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts