Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you feed your Boxer specially Acana food??? I have two Boxers both on Chicken and Potato and am feeding them 4 cups a day. I know every dog is different and depends on metabolism and activity level. We were feeding 4 cups a day to try and put some weight on them but would like to cut it back to firm up their poops. I am just concerned on cutting it back too much.

The bag says for active dogs:
44 pounds : 2 1/4
66 pounds: 3 cups
88 pounds: 3 3/4

Porsha is around 56-58 pounds and Roxy is 65-68 pounds. They are both on the skinny side. You can slight see their ribs.

How much does your dog weight and what much do you feed total a day???

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke is 73-75 lbs. and we feed 3 cups per day and rotate between the Regionals Grasslands, Ranchlands and Wild Prairie.

You should be able to see their ribs a bit. Can you see vertebrae or hip bones?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duke is 73-75 lbs. and we feed 3 cups per day and rotate between the Regionals Grasslands, Ranchlands and Wild Prairie.

You should be able to see their ribs a bit. Can you see vertebrae or hip bones?
No they aren't that skinny - just a little ribby. So Duke isnt starving on 3 cups?? I will have to slowly start to cut back.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
He acts like he's starving anytime we have food in our hands, but his body condition says otherwise! I think he's actually gained a couple extra pounds over the winter! lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He acts like he's starving anytime we have food in our hands, but his body condition says otherwise! I think he's actually gained a couple extra pounds over the winter! lol
LOL! I'm sure they will do they same when they notice their food has been cut back. Porsha wont care but Roxy will through a temper tantrum for sure.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
This sounds counter intuitive, but cutting back so the poop firms up may actually allow them to gain weight, because more of it will stay with them to be digested properly. Worth a try. Do you add a probiotic or digestive enzymes? I give Jackson digestive enzymes, which helped him a lot.

FWIW, Jackson also eats more than I'd like him to to keep weight on, so I'm thinking about changing foods. Right now, he eats 4 c. of TOTW Pacific Stream to stay at a decent weight. I'm not sure if him being a senior is why or not.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds counter intuitive, but cutting back so the poop firms up may actually allow them to gain weight, because more of it will stay with them to be digested properly. Worth a try. Do you add a probiotic or digestive enzymes? I give Jackson digestive enzymes, which helped him a lot.

FWIW, Jackson also eats more than I'd like him to to keep weight on, so I'm thinking about changing foods. Right now, he eats 4 c. of TOTW Pacific Stream to stay at a decent weight. I'm not sure if him being a senior is why or not.
Yes I can see how that would work. I have noticed them gaining any weight with 4 cups so its worth a try. I have given Roxy a probiotic but not Porsha - starting them back on it. Have you thought of trying Acana??

·
Registered
238 Posts
We feed two cups a day of Acana Chicken and Potato to our boy who is almost 60lbs, but he is close to 6 and pretty mellow.

Our little girl gets not quite 2 cups a day of Orijen Adult Formula - (240g) and she is super skinny, ribs and bit of hip and she is 18 months old and 43 lbs currently - she is really sensitive - we give her any more food and she gets diarrhea. It is the same for Acana, Horizon Legacy, Now, and Orijen - so until her metabolism slows down she will remain skinny...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our guy gets 4 cups of the Acana single ingredient, but he's still a puppy. We will start feeding him a bit less once he turns 18 months. He's about 57 pounds now at 1 year.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I feed about 3 cups a day but she is a pup as well still, Acana singles Lamb/Apple. She is about 27 lbs now at almost 4 months but does not seem to want to eat any more, hardly finishes her food now :p.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We feed two cups a day of Acana Chicken and Potato to our boy who is almost 60lbs, but he is close to 6 and pretty mellow.

Our little girl gets not quite 2 cups a day of Orijen Adult Formula - (240g) and she is super skinny, ribs and bit of hip and she is 18 months old and 43 lbs currently - she is really sensitive - we give her any more food and she gets diarrhea. It is the same for Acana, Horizon Legacy, Now, and Orijen - so until her metabolism slows down she will remain skinny...
Interesting! Im going to trying bringing it down to 3 cups.

·
Registered
51 Posts
His poops have been pretty good so far, but once he stops growing, I will reduce his portion size. The people at Acana have been wonderful when I call with questions regarding amount to feed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His poops have been pretty good so far, but once he stops growing, I will reduce his portion size. The people at Acana have been wonderful when I call with questions regarding amount to feed.
ohh that a great idea! I never thought to call them! I will do that in the future :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yes I can see how that would work. I have noticed them gaining any weight with 4 cups so its worth a try. I have given Roxy a probiotic but not Porsha - starting them back on it. Have you thought of trying Acana??
I bought a bag of Chicken and Burbank Potato yesterday! I'm nervous about the grain in it, but I'm hoping it'll work. The oats may help him hold his weight. I'm also hoping I can feed him less of it than the TOTW. The other Acana formulas are a bit pricey for my budget and contain more peas than I'd like. Jackson's a chow hound, so he loved it. I've only mixed in 1/4 cup so far - don't want to cause tummy upset. Of course, he'd probably eat shredded cardboard with a bit of broth on it, too...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a bag of Chicken and Burbank Potato yesterday! I'm nervous about the grain in it, but I'm hoping it'll work. The oats may help him hold his weight. I'm also hoping I can feed him less of it than the TOTW. The other Acana formulas are a bit pricey for my budget and contain more peas than I'd like. Jackson's a chow hound, so he loved it. I've only mixed in 1/4 cup so far - don't want to cause tummy upset. Of course, he'd probably eat shredded cardboard with a bit of broth on it, too...
Acana can be more pricey but if you have to feed less it will probably work out to be around the same as TOTW? We are on the Chicken and Potato to try and hold some weight as well. Good luck with the transition!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Acana can be more pricey but if you have to feed less it will probably work out to be around the same as TOTW? We are on the Chicken and Potato to try and hold some weight as well. Good luck with the transition!
I have been researching different foods lately and this is very true. I made a spreadsheet with a lot of info included and compare the food cost by $ per 1000Kcal.

Attached is a snippit of the spreadsheet (with most columns hidden, top 4 ingredients, ratings, costs at different stores) that has the direct cost comparisons of a bunch of different foods. The TOTW and Acana are virtually the same.

Burt :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts