Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get Tito neutered. He's almost a year, and I'm wondering is it too late now? The previous owner never got him neutered becuase he wanted to mate him to a friends boxer bitch and get a puppy or two. He's about 55-60lbs. I called a couple vets and everyone is in the 280-300 price range. I'm a university student and I paid for him all by myself (600 bucks) his stool blood test and physical cost me about 150. His food (Evo) was 75 bucks for a 28lbs bag. And this isn't including money spent on toys and treats and I'm sure you know the costs can really add up. I mainly want to get him neutered so he's not aggressive later on, doesn't get any diseases or cancers related to not being neutered and most importantly I don't want him to run away. All the vets and Humane societies make a big deal about neutering your pets, maybe if it was a little more reasonably priced and accessible to lower income people we all would. Most people who don't neuter their pets are people who simply cannot afford it or are too ignorant to care. Neutering is going to cost me half of what he did, now if I had the mindset of his old owner I'd never pay that much instead have him bred and make alot more money off his puppies, BUT I'm not, thats why I'm here. I am working this summer but right now my other main expense is my summer school courses which will be 500 each. I am hoping to get him neutered ASAP but the cost is the problem, and if I wait he'll get bigger and heavier and will cost me even more. What a dilemma. I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Ontario Canada anyone have their dog neutered for a reasonable price anywhere around here? And is it just really costly here? How much did you guys pay. Thanks for reading this it kinda got longer than expected.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
well you can get him neutered whenever but in the states there are spay and neuter clinics.  That makes it pretty cheap.  You should see if Canada has any of those

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome Jay. You may not want to hear this but where I live the cost is $100-$130, depending on the weight of the dog. 21lb-60lb is $110 and 61lb and greater is $130. The spay surgery is $10 more in each category. There are usually clinics held, generally around this time of year, that offer lower cost pricing for the surgery in order to get more people to bring their pets in. I live in Western Kentucky where the general cost of living is probably lower than in your area so it follows that these services would be less. However, I'm surprised at how much difference there is. Have you tried a vet in a more rural area? Is that possible? Good luck and enjoy your new family member!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im moving to the GTA and right now im in windsor...i will tell you that YES it is expensive to care for an neuter your pet in Canada but it is worth it. It isnt too late to neuter him you can neuter at any age from my understanding. What i would do is call the humane society and explain you are in a low income situation and what can they recommend? they may know of a clinic that does it cheaper for students etc...im also a university student and im going to be starting York U in september. Another option that you have is to call some of the smaller cities on the outskirts of the GTA...my paretns live in Cambridge and there vet is usually cheaper than bigger cities so i am going to check the prices out there for my boy. Vets in the smaller couties are cheaper. If you really need it cheaper you need to look into these options and be willing to travel. From what ive been learning we dont have anything nearly as cheap as the clinics in the states. You could purchase pet insurance and pay monthly but i dont have so much info on that. Another way to save money may be to switch foods. Evo is a good food but there are other decent foods that are cheaper. Canidae for example is about 50$ a bag for 33-35lbs. Not too much better but a little better.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
just got my baby nuetered - he wgd in at 60lbs i pd 2oo for the nueter itself that included everything pain meds etc- and 30.00 to chip him walked out the door pAYING 230 EXACTLY

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
$75 at the Humane Society

It would have cost between 400 and 500 if I wen to my own vet.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It cost me $250 plus an additional $69 for some test to have Templeton neutered.  Then we added on his last set of shots and his micro chip and it added up to $430!  He was 5 1/2 months when I had him done.

It adds up pretty quick!!!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
it would have cost 450.00 at my vet but i took her to the humane society..it was 25.00 and i donated 200.00 more to them.still cheaper than my vet.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I took Rocky to the ABC Clinic (Animal Birth Control Clinic) here and it cost 45.  I called a couple of vet places and they were well over 100 dollars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
$250 but that was because Steel had bilateral cryptorchism and it was almost like a spaying where they actually had to go get his testes from his abdomen. It would have been around $150 had it been a normal neutering. Mind you, Steel was 60lbs at the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it looks like for a similar weight you guys paid about 100-200 bucks. Still alot less then what they ask here, and unfortunately our Humane Society doesn't neuter, just microchip which only cost me $26. I guess the pet overpopulation problem is much bigger in the States than it is here, thats why its more available and cheaper.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It ranges in price here from 140 to 300.  But I go to the Humane Society where it is about $70.  They do it even cheaper than that for low income people.  Maybe you should check your local humane society.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just found a clinic not too far from home, which does it for $122 regardless of size and weight. ALOT cheaper than vets in the area

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's great!!! Glad you were able to find something :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts