Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

How much did you pay for neutering?

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  oceaneyes2 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how much everyone paid for their boys to be neutered. I really like our vet but was wondering how he compared when it comes to price. I don't have an exact figure but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost us around $425 or so for everything.

#3 ·
There are some places that run ads in the newspaper saying $69 but that is just for the actual procedure. I have called them and by the time they add anesthesia, meds, and all of the other BS things they want to add the price seems to be around $300-$350 and to be honest I don't want to take my little fellow to a place that I don't know and by the looks of the buildings they aren't very clean looking. Our vet has an awesome building that is exceptionally clean but I'm having a hard time with the amount of $$$.

#4 ·
Ummm...that price is for everything...I live in a small town...only 2 vets here...my dog's ear crop was $125..and that was for everything....Groovy's surgery to get a couple lumps removed tomarrow is $125...for everything...maybe your vet does the lazer proceedure??? I heard that's much better for the dog...faster healing time..but expensive...

#7 ·
I got a copy of the prices and it depends on weight. If he is 15-30 lbs it's $75 and for 30-60 lbs it's $82. The price goes up a little with the most being 100 lbs and up is $98.

For post-operative pain medicine it's $16. They also recommend, but it's not required, a basic panel blood test before surgery which is $50.

When we have Sarge neutered it will be less then $150. $425 does sound like a lot but if you trust the vet and they keep it clean it would be worth it in my opinion.

#10 ·
Do you have any spay / neteur clincs in your area? Here they were charging anywhere from $300-$400. Someone suggested a spay/neuter clinic and it was $130 and they didn't argue with me over the use of ACE. Actually told me that i causes problems in Boxers. Another clinic just opened here and they charge $60 I believe. It would be worthwhile to check around.

#11 ·
We just paid $375 to have Wrigley neutered but he was cryptorchid so we had to pay extra for anesthesia ($40/15 minutes) and the surgery took 1 1/2 hours because his lost testicle was difficult to locate.

My daughter had her dog done at a spay/neuter clinic an hour from here for $55 and it went great but since Wrigley was crytorchid, that wasn't an option.

#14 ·
Well I called around to a few different clinics and the prices really varied. I also checked with my vet to get an exact amount and it was a little lower than I had originally thought. The price for everything is $386 and that includes blood work that must be done a week before the surgery. Other vets I called said the blood work was optional but after thinking about it I like the idea to know that everything has been done to make sure there are minimal risks involved during surgery and recovery. He also does not use ACE which I found one other place that does. He is about $100 higher than the only other place I think I would take my little buddy. I just can't see taking him into a place that looks run down and dirty just to save a little money. The other thing I keep thinking about is Dr. Raspbury is our vet and I feel he will take that extra step to make sure he is taken care of properly. If you get a chance check him out on Facebook at Village Animal Health Care in Trenton, MI. He took a Victorian home in a downtown district and renovated it to accommodate his needs as a vet.

#15 ·
I learned that the cost of a neuter is about $30. The rest is profit. I wasn't comfortable about a spay/neuter clinic at first either, but a vet on here reassured me that they are not at all what I was thinking. They are vets that volunteer their time at these places and they are cheaper because that's what they do and all they do. They want to help control the pet population, so the place I called was AMAZING. No regrets here.

#18 ·
Yes he is now located in Trenton. I've heard quite a few people tell me that they used to go to Gibraltar when he was there. I did call Southgate and they were about $100 cheaper and they use a lazer that cauterizes as they cut. The only thing I didn't like is they require them to spend the night and call me overprotective but I just don't want to leave him all night.

#21 ·
It cost me 260 to get Gracie spay here...and I thought that was high! If we cross the border and get her fixed in sault ste marie MI it's about 80 less but I again would love to keep her with the vet that knows her best! I wish our humane society did things like that! man! It's a fortune to adopt a pet from there never mind them helping you spay or neuter your pet!

#22 ·
they were only going to charge me 75.00 for lynard to get neutered, still havent decided if I am going to do it or not. The humane society does it here even if you didnt get your pet there, they hold spay and neuter clinics, and charge you only 50.00 there is a wait list though but its about a 3 month list from what I hear.

#26 ·
Well, we made the appointment (Jan 22nd) to have Ty neutered with our normal vet. The total cost is going to be $382 and that includes more than most of the vets that I called. Our vet requires blood work before he will put any animal under anesthesia and that is done a week before the surgery. He also uses fluids during the surgery and for 30 minutes after the surgery which most other vets I called do not include that in their price, some offered it as an option with an additional cost. It also includes the post surgery medications. It is still a little more expensive than others but I feel more comfortable with his normal vet doing the procedure and I feel he will get the best care. Thanks for all the input!

#28 ·
When I moved I had to find a new vet. The new place cost me over $340 for Jax's neuter but he also had to have some impacted teeth removed during the surgery and I assumed this was what elevated the cost. Turns out I should have read the pricing more carefully as just about everything there cost me bundle. After that I decided that an hour drive was worth it and changed back to my old vet. Could just be that your vet charges more than than most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.