Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
k lol... so how would i switch his food when right now i'm swiching him on to iams, he is on 1/2 his puppy food from breeder and half iams

·
Registered
663 Posts
hmmmm.... that is a tough one.  Maybe a 3rd of each then remove the first one, then the second one and leave the last one... I'm not really sure..

My mothers vet told her to use Purina, but I can't bring myself to do it........

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i was reading and some people say to put egg in the puppies food... i wanna try that but idk if it should be raw or cooked... and also i saw something on cottage cheese (blah)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check the food tips forum, some feed raw eggs, some cooked. It will also give you the correct proportions to introduce new foods.Don't worry, Dungy will probably surprise you with a growth spurt and you'll wonder where you're little baby has gone!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i hope so lol... when i got him from the breeder he looked thin and ppl joke and say feed that guy and he eats but his is just so little lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow my dog must be a big boy like Ringer, Ulrich weighs 13.5 pounds at 8 weeks. His dad was not too big (70) and his mom is (60), but he looks like he might be big for his age. Oh and we feed him puppy Nutro (large bread), we have had really healthy dogs with Nutro, but I am sure there are other brands that are just as good.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Unless you can really see his spine, don't worry so much about weight..He's a baby, he'll add it on and it's better that he stays a bit on the thin side anyways..Believe me, it's a lot harder to get it off than put it on!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
soccergk1987 - I just went and looked at the pics you posted in the show off forum, your little boy does not look too skinny to me.  He looks fine, like a puppy should.  I don't think you need to try to fatten him up at all.  His size is almost strictly a matter of genetics - switching dog foods or trying to get him to eat more isn't going to have a big impact on how fast he grows.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"45073 said:
Unless you can really see his spine, don't worry so much about weight..He's a baby, he'll add it on and it's better that he stays a bit on the thin side anyways..Believe me, it's a lot harder to get it off than put it on!!!
I agree.  You really can't compare puppy weights, because they all grow so differently.  You want to look at condition - he should be on the thin side, it is far better for his long-term health.  At ideal weight you would just see the last 2-3 ribs, and his side should feel like the back of your hand; however puppies go through odd growth phases, and some days you will be able to see all of his ribs from across the room, while others it will look like his skin is falling off of him.  So long as his ribs are easily palpable, and his spine and hips aren't especially prominent, he's likely at a good weight.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Our vet does checkups at 9 and 12 weeks.  Charlie was 11.5 @ 9, 22lbs. @ 12 weeks.  Sadie was 11 @ 9 and 20 I think @ 12 weeks.  Sadie is now around 7 1/2 months old and she weighed 62lbs. a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila weighed 11 lbs at 9 weeks, and 13 at 11 weeks. She is a skinny little girl with tall legs. She looks like a baby kangaroo. My Ekim weighed 19 lbs at 11 weeks and at age 5 he is 95lbs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i had harley to the vet today for his first check up.. he is 9 1/2 weeks old and weighed 16.9 lbs.. im worried about weight as well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We took Patch in today for a check up and he is 5m and wieghs 27.4lbs. The vet thinks he will be big. He got 2 shots today :( but he did wonderful.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke is almost 10 months and he is 65lbs.  When he was smaller I used to grab his front paws and dance with him, I didn't quite think this through because now he jumps on me when ever he wants me to dance with him and he can about knock me over if i'm not paying attention.  I can't imagine what its going to be like when he is full grown.  Hes not my little baby anymore :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
lulu\";p=\"45919 said:
Delila weighed 11 lbs at 9 weeks, and 13 at 11 weeks. She is a skinny little girl with tall legs. She looks like a baby kangaroo. My Ekim weighed 19 lbs at 11 weeks and at age 5 he is 95lbs.
OMG :bs?!?!:   your kinding right.. :eh:   how much food do you go through in a month?  :crazyeye:   just wondering :?:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm definitely no expert, as I'm learning on the job with my own puppy, but personally I think people worry about this stuff way too much (including myself).  So here's to a collective calm down everyone!  From this thread and others, puppy weights just don't seem to have much correlation to adult weights because they go through growth spurts at different times.  If there was a disease or sickness in early stages then that's a different story.  But if they look healthy and seem healthy, they are probably fine.  Some ribcage is good, but not too much ribs or spine.  Everyone says its better to be on the thin side, a heavy pup can put stress on the joints and bones that could cause problems later in life.  The same goes for rapid growth.  Any rapid change in weight loss can be problematic unless it's just a natural growth spurt.  They have months and years to fill out.  I think the best way to judge what their adult size would be is to look at the parents, if you have the luxury.   The vet told me Oggie is a bit on the thin side so I'm feeding him more.  He seems to be growing slowly to me but I've seen his parents and they were pretty good size so I'm sure he'll hit his stride.  I'm actually way more worried about him being overweight than ending up a small adult, just because I'm kinda a fanatic about being healthy myself and everyone I know seems to have overweight dogs.  He would eat all day if he could, you can't expect a puppy to let you know how much to feed them.  It's your job to do what you think is best for them.  I think we get a little too competitive about size, like we need to have the the biggest dogs.  It's not a race.  No matter what size they end up being you'll love them just the same and so will everybody else.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well said Sully  :) Every puppy and adult is different, you cannot measure one against the other....

21 - 40 of 40 Posts