Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just changed to Pro Plan - Lamb & Rice  - Athletic (29% protein, 19% fat). We don't have anything like the varieties of dog food you have in the US.

Anyhow this costs 64 Euros for 15 kilos (About $100 for 33lbs) which lasts a month-ish - how much are you paying for your dogs food? I think $100 a month is expensive - or am i just being tight with my cash :wink:

·
Registered
942 Posts
whoa, $100 is quite a bit. We buy 40lb bags of Nutro lamb and rice and it's under $40. I'm not real sure how often I buy food, but maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

edit: that is for both dogs...but then again Kaci is like 1/2 a dog :lol:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ummm... lets see... i feed dungy blue buffalo and it is 24 for 15 lbs i think so i guess i spend around 50 MAYBE a month if not a little longer

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola gets Pro Plan Sensative Skin & Stomach  price range is $11  $26  $38   I believe.  Also give her wet which is $1.09 a can.

·
Registered
933 Posts
WOW!  Yeah, I think that is ALOT!  I feed Purina Pro Plan sensitvie skin & stomach.  A 40 lb bag is about $38.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is high Annette.. The 35lb of Chicken Soup runs me about $35 and we go thru 1 every 5 wks or so...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems there's some serious mark up going on over here :roll:  - And there's so little choice.
The Royal Canin Boxer one is even more expensive at $94 for 26lbs.
I was buying something called Royal Canin Selection Croc which was ok quality-wise - in any case Voltaire liked it and it never caused a problem. And it was only half the price of the Pro Plan.
Problem was it really was giving Voltaire fish breath! :-&

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - The French are officially overpiced - here are about the only kibbles i can find that i've heard people talk about on boxer forums:
Hils Science Plan
Hill's Nature's Best
Eukanuba
Solid Gold wolf king

The above 3 are about the same price as the Pro plan-

Timberwolf ($112/33lbs)
Almo Nature Holistic ($82/16lbs)
- are VERY expensive 8O

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It is much more expensive in France than here in the States.  However- that may just be b/c the dollar has lost so much value it is harder to compare to Euros.  I know when I was in London last year a bottle of water that usually costs $1 here was over $3 there.  (but that was pounds not euros)
Anyway, out of the first three you listed Solid Gold would be my first choice.  the other two aren't good quality, but with the selection you have, who can blame you?
Have you thought about feeding raw?  I don't know the price of meat there.. but I feed mine raw for about $50-60 per month- thats for both of them.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Just got 177lb of raw.   50lbs of turkey premade mix, 47 lbs of beef ribs, 80lbs of chix necks and 5 lbs of veggie mush - $212.00  should last month and a half to 2.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
$58.00 USD for a 30# bag of Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I spend about $40 for a bag of Chicken Soup food and its good for about a 4 to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
8O Even for 2 dogs that means raw is pretty darn expensive! Not to mention all the love you have to put into the preparation!
Solid Gold has 22% protein and 9% fat - compared to the 29% and 19% of the proplan does that mean Voltaire will lose weight??
I expect i'll stick to the Proplan and see how it goes (i'm lucky to have a dog who doesn't do allergies or sensitive stomach :D ) - if not i might decide to pay a little more because i've just found out i can get Orijen Adult delivered (I checked old threads and the foodanalysis link - apparently it's one of the better ones).
Would it be completely pointless to mix a really good quality kibble with an average one?

p.s. All this because hubby can't cope with a bit of bad breath :roll:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"114083 said:
Just got 177lb of raw.   50lbs of turkey premade mix, 47 lbs of beef ribs, 80lbs of chix necks and 5 lbs of veggie mush - $212.00  should last month and a half to 2.
::THUD::... sry i just fainted when i saw the price lol... im ok now lol
:partyman:... the right one passes out lol.

I give u so much props heather... i hope that i can do that some day... jw, where do u get all the meat??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Mizorie\";p=\"114091 said:
$58.00 USD for a 30# bag of Taste of the Wild.
Wow, that is a lot.  I get the ocean for 41.99 for a 30# bag but Pro Plan Selects is 51.99 for a 33# lb bag.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It depends on where you go and what you get for meat with raw.  I go organic but in bulk - so yeah its tough separating 80 lbs of chix necks but worth it esp since my last order will    So I look at it as 177lb of food cost me 212 get me down to about 1.19 per pound organic human grade meat.

If I were to get a 30lb bag of timberwolf at 55.00 I am paying 1.83 per pound - for kibble!!  So raw is much more econimical.

I break it down by how much food I can get per pound.   Or what is my per pound cost - then you see what is more bang for your buck!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"114036 said:
That is high Annette.. The 35lb of Chicken Soup runs me about $35 and we go thru 1 every 5 wks or so...
ditto..we use senior but same price...and go through about a bag a month or 5 weeks..

we add extras but its stuff we eat too..plain yogurt, meats, veggies,fruits, broth..etc

1 - 20 of 40 Posts