Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the story.

My wife moved out on me last week, while I went to cut grass, (kind of my second job). She had me take Radar along (the older boxer, almost 2 years old), while she kept Milo. It was a surprise to both me and Radar that no one was home when we got home.

My question is, should I be worried about him getting depressed? I know sometimes he likes to run around and play, but the other times he just wants to sit on the couch. He seems more excited when my parents are around. I do take him down to my parents during the days I work, so he won't be staying in a empty house.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Sorry to hear this.
I think he might get a little sad without having Milo around to play with and keep him company. I would keep an eye on him to make sure he continues to eat, drink and sleep like normal.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would just make time for him when you are home to play.  (sorry about the situation).   Maybe find a daycare around that he can go to a couple of days a week to get that "socialization" that he is now missing with Milo being gone.      Sometimes after a good day of daycare they spend the entire next day sleeping.  So that should take away the "alone" feeling.  But if he is having a good time at your parents then that is good too.  But if he is missing that dog interation, then I would suggest a day of daycare or some time at a dog park.

Good Luck, and again sorry about the situation!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh boy, can I relate to this....I had 2 boxers when i lived in Cali, Buck whom I gave to the ex as a gift and then Tia..They were inseprable and my whole life....We went to Ireland for 2 yrs, the ex's company sent him there for work...Well, our marriage broke up while we were there and when we came back to the states, the original agreement was that I would take the dogs as I had been the "primary caregiver"...Spouses know how to push buttons, about 2 wks before I moved, he decided that HE was going to keep the dogs, as Buck Was HIS dog and as the 2 could not be separated, he ended up with both of them...Did they notice the tension, oh yes...Their behavior changed some and they became very clingy at times..Now because they both stayed with the ex, there was no issues as far as missing each other..However, the day the moving van came to get my stuff...My coldhearted ex left them alone after the movers left and Buck tried to go thru the front window...Ended up in the hospital for 7 days, lost about 30 lbs and near bled to death..Why did he do this? he thought he was being adondoned...

So to answer your question, yes, expect to see some depression from your boy..Try to spend as much time with him as you can..he needs to know that that not everyone is leaving him....Good luck and I am very sorry for the way it ended

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"122445 said:
Oh boy, can I relate to this....I had 2 boxers when i lived in Cali, Buck whom I gave to the ex as a gift and then Tia..They were inseprable and my whole life....We went to Ireland for 2 yrs, the ex's company sent him there for work...Well, our marriage broke up while we were there and when we came back to the states, the original agreement was that I would take the dogs as I had been the "primary caregiver"...Spouses know how to push buttons, about 2 wks before I moved, he decided that HE was going to keep the dogs, as Buck Was HIS dog and as the 2 could not be separated, he ended up with both of them...Did they notice the tension, oh yes...Their behavior changed some and they became very clingy at times..Now because they both stayed with the ex, there was no issues as far as missing each other..However, the day the moving van came to get my stuff...My coldhearted ex left them alone after the movers left and Buck tried to go thru the front window...Ended up in the hospital for 7 days, lost about 30 lbs and near bled to death..Why did he do this? he thought he was being adondoned...

So to answer your question, yes, expect to see some depression from your boy..Try to spend as much time with him as you can..he needs to know that that not everyone is leaving him....Good luck and I am very sorry for the way it ended

Wow thats terrible :(
Come hell or high water i would have kicked his arse, but as you say, they know how to get to you. :x

But shame jps77, i think it was not a good thing for her to have split the dogs up and i feel bad for you in the way that she just left and never said a word to you.

Just keep an eye on your Boxer and give him lots of extra loving, you never know, it may help him get through it without much trauma as they love attention let alone all of your attention. And him spending time at your parents so he is not alone is a brilliant thing. Hope things get better for you soon :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry to hear about your problems, I agree with what everyone has said so far.  Give Radar a hug from me and the K's.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this...what a difficult time for everyone. I agree with what others have said, although I thankfully have never been in that situation. I liked Heather's idea of a dog park or doggy daycare. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think there is a doggy day care or dog park around where I live. But when he is at my parents at least he gets to bother their cat. I just know when he is with me, when we are alone, he doesn't seem too peppy. I guess I was used to him playing non stop with Milo. Now he might play for a little while and then go lay down.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
So sorry.  Divorce stinks.  I let my ex keep both of our boxers.  I agree with everything that was said though.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm so sorry for your situation.  We got our Duke, due to a divorce situation.  The couple split up, and split the two boxers.  The ex-wife decided she couldn't afford to keep Duke, so that's how we got him - our gain, for sure!  Luckily, we already have another dog, Chipper, an elderly black lab.  Duke was never an only dog, so he's used to both human and canine company.  Have you considered getting a companion for your dog?  We already know that when Chipper passes on (he's 11, so it probably won't be too long from now :cry: ), we'll have to get another dog for Duke.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I probably will get a companion for him sometime, after this whole divorce thing gets over with.

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Where do you live? I'll come over and play with Radar. I just went thru the same thing as you, except there no pets involved, and could use some doggie love.

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Oh, well that might present some logistical difficulties...although that would be a great excuse to go visit the Flickmeister and his fur-siblings, and my skin sib. :lol:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Im sooo sorry that you were put in this situation... You already got great advice... i just want to say one thing... i think its awesome that you are concerned about Radar.  We've all heard so many horror stories about the dogs getting the short end of the stick in this situation!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I do care for him, because right now he is the only other person I got, besides my parents.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So sorry things have taken a rough turn for you and Radar (love the name) life upheavals just stink :( Please take care of yourself and Radar, we'd love to see pics. One of my Mom favorite expressions used to be "it'll all work out just the way it's supposed to" drove me nuts, especially when I was going through a divorce. But, she was right. Been happily together with Kelly for almost 25 yrs now. Don't know if I'd recognize the ex these days if I fell over him. Wishing good things for you and Radar and hope better days come your way soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me, my oldest I think would not be phased to bad at all, he's pretty independent.  My youngest is addicted and dependent on the oldest, and she'd be the one i would be worried about.  How close were these two when they were home?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been hearing that also (everything happens for a reason). Radar and Milo were pretty close. I will have to get some pictures on here some time. Wife took all the dog pictures.

G

·
0 Posts
i agree w/ jessiesmom!  i can't imagine having to go through splitting them up.  you are awesome!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts