Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was walking Chino when I ran into one of our neighbors with a beautiful Boxer. His Boxer was only 16 weeks, but was much heavier than Chino. Chino is 14 weeks and the last time he went to the vet (like 2-3 wks ago), he was only 18lbs...should I feed him more??

He eats 2 times a day and is being crate trained...should I feed him 3x a day?? Should I mix his food with canned food??

·
Registered
537 Posts
When I got Harleigh she was 14 weeks and she weighed 17 pounds. I wouldn't worry. 7 weeks later she is 30 pounds. They grow fast. Some just have smaller more petite boxers

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
IMO weight doesn't mean anything- the important part is what your puppy LOOKS like.  Does he look healthy?  Lanky is fine, and so are a couple of ribs.  They go through awkward stages. Felix has always been a lean dog/puppy and sometimes there are boxer pups that look much stockier in comparison, not really overweight but their whole body looked more solid.  Walking around we saw boxers that were bigger and smaller than him.  I think you will find that is the case with Chino as well.  There will always be bigger dogs, and smaller ones.  How do you know that the other pup isn't too big and Chino is the correct weight? ;)
If you have some pictures we may be able to say if he looks like he is a good weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post some when I get home. My DH says he is just lean...he does have some ribs...doesn't look like he is hungry. The Vet says that he is going to be big (huge feet, he looks like a kangaroo), but maybe he will just be lean.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
This topic has been posted alot and from what I always read it is completely different between the boxers.

Duke is 1 years old...he is probably 75lbs, in my opinion he is a big dog.  We just got Bentley, he is 12 weeks old at 8 weeks he was 13lbs (but he was also under-fed when we got him) he is twice the size Duke was at that age.  He's longer, taller and has bigger feed.  So I think it just depends on the dog and the parents.  If he looks healthy I would say you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like you already got good advice/answers.....They go through a skinny long legy lean look...If what you are feeding is working (good stools/coat/maintaining and growing in size and weight) then I would not change things.....They are all different so it does not do well to compare.  Someone always ends up thinking their boxer is to thin and others thinks theirs are to heavy :)  He will grow into those feet.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
From everything I've read final size is dependent upon genetics mostly, but also diet and exercise levels.  Pups are just like children in that they grow erratically with huge spurts and sometimes very little growth.  As long as he looks alright your probably fine.  My Spinx is huge for a pup his age.  He turns 5 months today, and he weighed up yesterday at a still skinny 46.2 lbs and he gets exercised til he drops almost every day.  He is almost as heavy as most of the adults at boxer meet up.  It just depends on the pup.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, I've got a tall, lanky one over here.  Koa's now 48 lbs at 8 months.  I see younger pups that weigh more than him but few are taller.  I'll just have to wait for him to grow the other directions now.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think you got some good ideas of weights, please be sure to do a search next time. I know this topic has been asked and answered many times and i konw there is one thread that has almost every memebers answer with what weight at what age :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think you got some good ideas of weights, please be sure to do a search next time. I know this topic has been asked and answered many times and i konw there is one thread that has almost every memebers answer with what weight at what age :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 4 month old boxer female pup and i was worried that she may be underweight and size, until i read this thread (sounds like she is about the right size).... Right now she is about 22lbs and 16-17 inches tall (I measured her standing up on all four feet from floor to middle of her back). ..... Does this size sound about right for a female pup? Is there anything i can change in her diet to make sure she stays on track with growing? Right now she is eating just kibble, Purina Pro Plan, Nutro, and Costco Kirkland brand dog food.... I just recently stop feeding her the Costco Kirkland brand because it made her sick, so i am experimenting with other brands like nutro and purina. All of them have about 28% protien, and 18% fat.... She is also being crate trained and gets PLENTY of excersize...

both her parents were tall and about 65-80lbs, so i am expecting her to be a big dog too....

·
Registered
942 Posts
violatorcm, be careful feeding her so many different types of food, you're definitely messing with her stomach. Nutro is a good food, the rest of that is kind of junk. There is a thread around here somewhere where you can grade your dogs food, I'd recommed doing that. I personally feed the Nutro lamb and rice formula to my two boxers. Also, you want to measure her while she's standing and from the top of her front shoulder to the floor. As long as you can't see ALL of her ribs, I'm sure she's plenty healthy :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
CrazieKC\";p=\"107355 said:
violatorcm, be careful feeding her so many different types of food, you're definitely messing with her stomach. Nutro is a good food, the rest of that is kind of junk. There is a thread around here somewhere where you can grade your dogs food, I'd recommed doing that. I personally feed the Nutro lamb and rice formula to my two boxers. Also, you want to measure her while she's standing and from the top of her front shoulder to the floor. As long as you can't see ALL of her ribs, I'm sure she's plenty healthy :D
I was about to say the same thing. Why are you feeding them so many different brands of food?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was only feeding her the Costco brand but after she became sick, she wouldnt eat it...... So i tried buying her some Purina Pro Plan and Nutro to see which one she would like....... she ate that for a while and then stopped.... I think at this point i am going to stay with the Purina Pro Plan for a while....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts