Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay as you all know harley was 100% healthy today.. weighing in at 16.9 lbs at 9 /12 weeks.

but how much food is to much?? ive been feeding him a cup 3 times a day.. he would eat even more if i let him.. but he is looking a bit thick in the ribs when i pick him up.. and he was negative for worms.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: how much is... TO MUCH???

What did the vet say about his weight?   If he's "thick in the ribs" I'm assuming you mean you can't see his ribs.  From everything I've read on here, you should be able to at least see 2 of his ribs so if some ribcage isn't showing you may have to cut back.  What kind of food is he eating and what does it recommend on the back?

·
Registered
38 Posts

We feed Brutus Pedigree Puppy bites.We give him about 12-14 0z 3 times a day (even tho he wastes alot of it) but can still see his ribs like hes starving to death.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

If the vet says he is healthy, I wouldn't worry.  A bout of diarreah or an upset stomach can take them down in weight so fast - I'd be greatful he has a little meat on his ribs.  I think the key thing here is you don't want a fat dog, but I remember my vet telling me that Sophie should be eating 3 cups a day when she was that age - but it also depends on the food you are using.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Kate\";p=\"46059 said:
If the vet says he is healthy, I wouldn't worry.  A bout of diarreah or an upset stomach can take them down in weight so fast - I'd be greatful he has a little meat on his ribs.  I think the key thing here is you don't want a fat dog, but I remember my vet telling me that Sophie should be eating 3 cups a day when she was that age - but it also depends on the food you are using.
Yup definitely depends.  Just for reference, Science Diet Puppy formula recommended 3 cups a day while Canidae Life Stages recommended 2 cups a day for the same weight class.  And even then it's been my experience boxers require more than the recommended amounts on the back, probably because they are more active than your typical breed.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

8O cant see ribs on either one of my dogs hahaha..well no you can see Isis kinda has ribs but they arent evident..

i have fat dogs :D hehe

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well sometimes i can see maybe one rib sometimes none...he has a waist but not much of one.. but the vet said he was fine.. he just looks a bit big to me.. . but my last boxer that i had as a teenager was so skinny i could see all the ribs..

im feeding him about 3 cups a day im gonna cut back to 2 cups for a few weeks and see how that goes.

im feeding nutro ultra and just now checked it says for his weight to give 2 1/2 cups a day.

ill try and get a pic of him so you can all see what he looks like..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

As for puppies, I would be perfectly fine with 3 cups.  The play and burn it off quick and require more food when they are younger.  After about a year, I went down to 2.5, but depending on what they were doing, would give more.

I think a label is just a guideline and you have to look at your dog, its activity level and make the judgement for yourself.

You pups is at perfect weight, Kash was 20 lbs at that age.   Hanna was 17.8 lbs at 14 weeks.
All weight will vary.    

One the crap food you feed more because they are not asorbing that much from the crap.  They just pass it, make more poops - so to get the recommended dosages of nutrients, they require more food.  With human grade kibble they are take in more (nutrients), and getting rid of less (filers), hence less poops, and why you dont have to feed more.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

I wouldn't cut back that much. Rather than a cup at each meal, make it like 3/4 cup...See how he does...Keep in mind, Boxers grow soo darn fast..One minute he may look a little pudgy, than he will look anorexic...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay here is a pic of what harley looks like.. as you can see you cant see his ribs. sorry for the poor quality

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He looks fine.  They will go thru lanky stages and look thin.   If so give them a little more.  YOu should see definition of the hips and a rib or two, sometimes not.   As young pups, they go up and down, and not much to worry about.

Its when they are adults and not playing as much that they can develop weight issues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all...  i picked him up this morning and his belly felt soooo bloated and he looked .. well FAT.. but he is looking better by this evening.

and he is loving the nutro ultra dog food...YIPPIE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts