Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in order to safely and happily raise one or two boxers?  I would just like to see what people think.  I currently live in a gated community, 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment, so all walks have to be taken outside in designated areas.  Everyone cleans up after their own dog (or they get fined) and it all works very well.  The dog owners here pretty well know each other from our respective walks and there are 4 other boxers that live here as well.  Additionally I have a home about 1/2 miles from here, a 6,000 sq. ft. house built on half an acre (which is totally fensed with large shade trees) where I take my dog to run and play on a nearly daily basis.  Long story short - parents left the home to my sister and I and we are in the process of getting this home for sale.  After which I will buy a condo or smaller home as it is just for my hubby and myself and we don't need 3 family rooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, etc.  So, my question  really is, can someone in an apartment successfully raise two boxers or would that be cruel.  No I don't have a fenced yard at the apartment complex, and they would be on leads there to go potty, but they do spend the bulk of their days at my house where the yard is fenced and it has a huge screened in porch which provides shade and all the comforts of home including carpet.

I am asking this because when I contact a breeder about a getting another puppy, the first question asked is.... do you have a fenced yard?  I dont' want to lie to them but as you just read it's a long story explaining it to them.  It's just me and hubby and we devote all of our time to our dog (Kane).  He goes where we go and is never left home alone.  If I go to the store or something he stays home with hubby.  I would just really appreciate your imput on the subject and thank you.  P.S.  Hubby wants a puppy as much or more than I do.  He's always loved dogs and this part of his personality is something he didn't forget as a result of his brain injury.  Every day he asks me when are we going to get a little girl.  I'm tough, so your honest thoughts would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I read that boxer's are good apartment dog, now we do have a fenced in yard and don't live in apartment but I thought that was cool when I read it.  The reason being is because they are made to be more inside dogs rather than outside.  Sooo if someone were to get big dogs in an apartment their best bet would be a boxer.  

If you know you will take them out for exercise and you know that eventually you will have more room then I don't see why you shouldn't get another dog.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I live on 11 acres off a main road, nothing fenced in except my pool area.   We are on a top floor of a two family house which we own.   We do not have anything fenced in, and walk both dogs on leads.   We have no issues at all.

Also our house is three bedroom, one bath. Open floor plan.  They get plenty of room to run around the house as well as by the pool area which is fenced in.   However I do take them to the park (which is fenced in) 3 times a week to play off  lead.  

Personally, a fenced in yard is nice, but I feel more comfortable knowing my two pups are attached in the form of a lead to a human anytime they are outside of the house.   We live on a main street and anyone could access my dogs if they were running around in an unattended fenced in area.  

So if any breeder asked me about a fenced in yard, I would just say, nope, and explain that you take them to a park, and to be honest, feel more comfortable walking your dogs on lead for security, and they are always with someone incase of bee sting, or what not.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, I am sure Kane would LOVE to have a friend to play with...It's not so much the space, it's how much activity you can allow them...Andrea(chloesmom), lives in a condo also with her 2, so I really don't think it's that much of an issue. YOu know they are high energy already, so no surprises there, now it might get a wee bit cramped! But nothing wrong with boxer snuggles and cuddles, right?

I had to laugh, you were saying you didn't need 3 family rooms, 4 bedrroms, etc...You should have seen me reading that...I'm raising my hand!! I do, I do, I love space..lol. Besides each baby gets their own bedroom.... :lol:

As far as deceiving a breeder, tell them the truth, explain what you are planning on doing. If they see Kane, it will be very obvious that he is a well cared for boxer in great shape...I think it's wonderful that your husband really is into this puppy thing..Sound slike the besttherapy in the world....

So, in my round about way, I say go for it... :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also want to add a breeder is going to me more impressed with your knowledge and proper care of the dog more than lets say a fenced in yard.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I live in a duplex (2 BR 1.5 baths), without a fenced yard.  Kiah is always on a leash except when we are at the dog park, sisters fenced yard, or Boxer Meetup.  I plan to rescue another dog next spring so then i will have 2.  I feel that if they get plenty of exercise, good care and are loved; a good breeder will not have a problem selling you a puppy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree with all that has been said. I have my two girls in my condo, we have a tiny slab  of concrete that is supposed to be a back yard, but that is the only thing that is fenced. They girls dont really go out there. we take them on daily walks and we have a big fenced in field behind our house that they run in off lead. I would be honest with the breeder about your plans, and just go for it. I see no reason why two boxers wouldnt be happy in your home right now. Best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
51 Posts
We live in a house in a gated community and we do not have a fence or acerage. Our boxers do just fine. They go out back to go potty without a leash or anything. They do their job, run their circles (around the trampoline) and then come back in. We did have a problem with Haylee opening our front screen door to run across the street and go swimming or after the neighbors cat, but that stopped when she ran into a car one morning when grandma and grandpa were babysitting.

Part of the reason we haven't attempted to get a boxer from Boxer Rescue or a breeder is because we do not have a fence. You can only have certain kinds of fences in our subdivision and the way our yard is, it's impossible to put one in. I think we will attempt with our next one as we have had such good luck with training the two we have now.

I wish you luck and will say getting a second boxer was one of the best choices we made. In fact, I would LOVE to have another one right now!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.  I have done just that and am just waiting to hear back from the breeder.  It may take a while before a puppy becomes available but the wheels are turning in the right direction anyway.  It's so great to have your support and advice  here.  My five children are all grown and have moved on with their own families and so we just love being doggie parents.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We have a duplex also.  It is two bedrooms and two full baths and big fenced in yard.  I think it is the perfect size for one boxer and would probably be suitable for two.  I am just not ready to try that just yet.  I think our boy enjoys being an only child at this time anyway lol.

Kate it sounds like you will be fine.  Good luck in your decisions and I hope everything works out the way you want.  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts