Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're on the topic of food....I was wondering how much everyone feeds.  We give Lola 2 cups of dry in the morning and two cups of dry in the evening.  Sometimes she's hungry during the afternoon (she'll let us know!) so we'll give her one cup.  Is this too much?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah!!!  The feeding guidlines on the back of the bag are just guidlines and are generally to much food for the average dog.  A dog will eat all day long if you let it.  Most dogs will act like they're starving even if they aren't.  Even my Silly Lilly doesn't get that much and she's 2.

How old is Lola now?  

Have you asked your vet how much he/she thinks Lola should be fed?

Is the food your feeding high-grade?

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel gets a cup and a half twice a day..Samson about a cup twice a day(he's dieting)...If you want to supplemt her during the day, fix her a Kong..Nutrition and a way to keep her occupied at the same time :) Also try making some of those yummy doggie treats that Lillyzmomma put in the treat section...Mine don't get any treats other than homemade, unless it's venison.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lola's only 5 months old.
I believe the vet is the one that told us 4 cups a day.  Is that way too much? (don't yell at me  :oops:  lol! )!
We give her Euckanuba Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice (I don't think it's high-grade is it?).....I know a lot of people don't like it but we've tried others and this is the first we came to that agreed with her (other brands gave her the runs) and that she seemed to like.  Any suggestions on a better food?  We tried Blue Buffalo and Science Diet (another one I know many people don't like).  Also our trainer told us that by 6 months we should switch over to adult food...is that correct?    
This is all new to me....I'm trying to do the right things so advice is helpful!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Odin's been getting two cups a day (one cup per feeding... twice a day)... though we're inching it up to 1-1/2 a feeding (for 3-cups a day).

Odin fakes starvation... he eats his food in about... oh... three or four seconds (so it seems)... I'm not sure he chews either... seems mostly to inhale his food.  :lol:

We think Odin looks pretty good though... not too stocky, not too skinny.  He's very muscular, has nice solid poops and seems to have plenty of energy and vigor.

Oh... Odin is a little over 4-months old now... he was born February 5th.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah that is way too much...They way samsonsmom and Odinsdad feed are great!!!  When you switch a dogs food you should wean them onto it so they get used to it (ie: 1st wk:1/4 new food to 3/4 old food; 2nd wk: 1/2 to 1/2; 3rd wk: 1/4 old food to 3/4 new food; 4th wek: all new food...)  This gives them plenty of time to adjust to the new food and offers you the opportunity to make adjustments and work out problem as well as fininsh off the old bag of food.

I agree with Odinsdad for snacks...

And the treats I posted in the boxerbelly forum are healthy and dogs love them...

Good luck...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We feed both girls a cup twice daily- we also add half a can of wet food to each feeding. My girls dont like to crunch on kibble, and they started to lose weight. the wet food encourages them to eat and the weight is packing on nicely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently got a 6 week old flashy brindle,  I think it might have been a little early to take her.  But, she is here and now I need to do everything possible to help her transition well.  The seller had already been feeding the puppies crunched up kibble, and I have gone out and gotten the same kind.  I don't like the brand that much, it is Ol'Roy and I think Purina or something that shows what is in the food is better.  Kiana is doin alright but I think she might have gotten a little upset stomach.  I don't know how much I should feed her and how oftern?  Currently we are on a three times a day and maybe only 1/4 cup each time.  I haven't weighed her but I am going to be taking her to the vet tomorrow or the next day for her first shot and a check up.  Any suggestions would really help.

Jeramy

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The amount you are feeding is probably okay, but try wtiing the food with warm water as a lot of boxers don't like crunching their kibble.  Also, your pup did come home too early, but yo have her now so run forward with it.  Ol'Rol, Purina...these arevery low grade foods for a dog.  We actually have a tendency to believe here that where food is concerned...you get what yu pay for.  Go for a higher grade puppy food like Iams (which still isn't great but better), Canidae, Chicken Soup, Natues Choice (I think this is the name)...  I'm sure the others will have suggestions as well.

Feeding should probably be 3-4 times a day due to your pups age (to total one cup).  Your pup will look skinny...this is just the boxer look.  They look like this until they are done growing ing height and start to pack on a bit of weight.  Even when they are done growing they are likely to look skinny...again that is just the Boxers build.

Hope this helps.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
294 Posts
Beckham is 5 1/2 months (27lbs) and he gets about 1 1/2 cups per feeding and twice daily.  We have him on Solid Gold Wolf Cub (large breed puppy food).  It's formulated so that he doesn't grow too quickly and end up with hip/joint problems.
He was a very picky eater and was so skinny when we got him, so we started to mix either all Natural Plain yogurt or Organic chicken broth in with his food and that's when he finally started to eat.
After awhile we weaned him off yogurt and broth, now we just put warm water in with his food and his poops are nice and solid and he usually wolfs the food down.  He's tall and thin, but he's filling out nicely.

I know it's confusing and scary with a new puppy and there's so much information out there.  
Just get your puppy on the best quality food you can afford, it's well worth the extra money.  
I also found that if you have a "Mom and Pop" pet supply store near you, they are much more knowledgeable and have better quality products over Petsmart/Petco, etc... Just my opinion.  Mine recommended Solid Gold, Canidae, California Natural(??) and the Chicken Soup for Pet Lovers Soul.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese is 5 months and a couple of days and she weighed in at 30-34 lbs with her last vet appointment  which was about 3 weeks ago. She is skinny also though-but she is going to be a big girl when she grows up. She is almost as tall as Savannah only about an inch shorter!! anywho- we recently switched the girls to Nutro Natural and they both get 3 cups a day. 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. Now we recently increased the amount since we stopped with the wet food, i am waiting to see how much just dry before i bring the amount down any.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie eats about 3 1/2 cups a day right now at 12 weeks.  Charlie is 14 months and he eats 4 cups a day now.  If I remember correctly we got up to 7 cups a day with Charlie at around the 8-9 month mark.  Sadie still has trouble finishing her food at times.  According to the bag she is on the lower side as far as quantity goes.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I fed Toby 6 cups a day because he was always running around and being active and burning a ton of calories.. Now that I cut him back on exercise, I cut him back on food to now 4-4 1/2 cups a day... Mia eats maybe 1 1/2 cups a day...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've gotten Lola down to 1 1/2 cups twice a day with a teaspoon of wet mixed in.  She seems to be doing good.  If she gets whiney and looking for food in the afternoon I'll give her an all natural dog cookie that I found at a pet store or some carrots....she loves baby carrots!  

P.S.  Beckhamboxer....LOVE your new avatar!!!  Made me chuckle...so cute!  :lol:

·
Registered
780 Posts
We usually fed our three girls just under 1 cup three times a day.  They were all full grown and eating regular food.  Zig (15months) eats 5 1/3 cups a day now.  We still feed three times a day.  Teaki gets 3 cups a day of the same food.  Ziggi is just a very large boxer and at one point he was eating over 6 cups of food a day when he was having growth spurts during his first year.  The vet said he was doing fine, not fat, etc.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah eats 2 cups 2 times a day.  That is what her foster parents were feeding her and she is doing real well on that for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts