Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per many recommendations, I switched Taco to Taste of the Wild... he LOVES it!

I was wondering how much you all are feeding your dogs. On the grain-laden stuff that we had before, Taco had to eat about 8 cups a day... ridiculous. The vet said that with a grain-free, higher quality food he could probably eat half as much.

When buying our test bag of TOTW this weekend, the girl at the checkout was talking to us about her dog... a 110lb Rottweiler who's on TOTW and eats "4 cups a day - she's a fatty!" So now Taco, the 70-75lb, 6.5 month old Boxweiler is on 5 cups a day... according to the packaging, I'm going to increase that another 3/4 of a cup to make sure to keep up with his ridiculous growth...

So my question is, 1) how much do you feed your dogs? how old? how much do they weigh? 2) at what point did you start reducing the intake to adult levels (packaging says over 12 mos.

I will certainly be consulting the vet, but just curious as to what everyone elses experience may be...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
We feed TOTW now too, Kosmo is a big boy 17mos old and weighed 89lbs before he was fixed a few months ago...I have not weighed him since that appointment but I think he is a little bigger now. He has alot of muscle and is built like his daddy who was a 110 lb full boxer poppa. That said, Kosmo eats a little more than the bag recommends. I started him with the recommended amount and he would go try to get in his food can and cry every night around 8:30pm so I have been giving him another cup at 8:30pm & now he doesn't mope around begging so he must be satisfied. He will definately let us know if he is still hungry :)
The info on the bag is just a guideline, if your dog is still hungry you can up it gradually and see what amount makes him satisfied...that's what I did.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
I free feed.
If the dish is empty I fill it, but neither of my two are over weight.
They each probably eat about 4-5 1/2 cups a day.

:)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Rocco (2+ years & 75 lbs.) and Gus (5 months & 30 lbs.) each get 3 c. a day of TOTW Pacific Stream. Wrigley has to be on special liver food or he'd be eating TOTW too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Lexi is getting 4c a day of TOTW (Sierra); 2c each meal with her always asking for more at dinner.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not a Boxer, but my GSD female was eating about 3 cups a day on the TOTW. Im getting ready to pick up another bag again to rotate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ries is 13 months, 55lbs. We usually feed 3cups a day but she is currently in a growth spurt so it is 4 cups a day. It really does vary with her because it depends on the day, you can instantly tell when she needs a little more because she gets ribby very fast. We are in Europe so you wouldn't know the brand of food but it is grain free.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Reekos 3 1/3 years and eats 4 cups a day (he needs some extra to get a little weight on) But on the back of the back it has guidelines for age and weight.....thats what I follow

·
Registered
144 Posts
I free feed.
If the dish is empty I fill it, but neither of my two are over weight.
They each probably eat about 4-5 1/2 cups a day.

:)

Bogey would eat the whole bag if we let him. I have found him, head in bag, goin to town...no idea how long he'd been at it. His sister is a Bichon Friese who is used to having food down to free feed, but can't do that anymore....

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi brand new here, came on because we just got a new boxer puppy- we’ve always have rescues before, so I’m a nervous wreck with a baby. He’s 11 weeks now and only eating 1.5 C of TOTW a day. I’m worried he isn’t eating enough, but my older boxer (7 years, 50lbs.) only eats 2 cups a day and doesn’t finish the bowl. It looks like most of these boxers eat way more.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just a little advice on grain free dog food there a site put up by the FDA warning about grain free dog food they don't know why but it has been linked to Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I lost 2 dogs this way its not fun. I would urge you to research and make up your mind whether you want to take this chance or not. I feel like I am remiss if I don't warn others. If I had known there was any risk I would not have taken it. There is a list of dog foods listed on this site, to get on the list there had to be at least 10 reported deaths.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts