Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garlic do you give your Boxer for flea and tick prevention?

I guess I'm very specifically asking Lisa this, but of course, others whom are using it are welcome to chime in...

Lilly has been getting about a quarter clove per evening meal.  I have come to the conclusion, with the aid of a holistic pet practioner friend on the mainland, that this may not be enough and we think uping the dose is a good idea.  Lilly is 60#'s and has a decent build up of garlic already.  She not only does well on it, but she loves the taste.

I'm aware that to much garlic can be fatal in a dog.  I don't use very much and it's fresh minced garlic, so it's the good stuff.  Not the powdered hard to control crap.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks ahead of time...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
This is what Lisa posted in  my thread when i asked a few months back.

"I give her a half a clove of garlic once a week, but only in the winter months. I don't use flea control in the winter, just use the garlic. In the summer I have to use revolution but don't like giving that year round."

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Liz, I use to give Samson 1/2 teaspoon a day, but keep in mind, he's 85 lbs..He loved it..The only reason I quit was it wasn't effective enuf. I also was adding the apple cidar vinegar to the water..What about using Brewer's Yeast? I just started adding that to the dogs evening meals and it has garlic in it

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Liz I don't know if you got my pm? I'm assuming you did, but I just wanted to second the apple cider vinegar that Willow posted about. You can add a tablespoon a day to their water, or directly to their food with the garlic. The two ingredients work very well together. For anyone else that would like to use a natural flea preventative, you can check out this site, it basically uses the garlic and vinegar but adds some herbs and citrus. Here is the link:

http://www.healthyfoodforpets.com/FleaFree.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts