Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I despise the "dog smell" so I normally bathe Chino every week. Some people think that this is too often, because it could dry their skin out...I do a conditioner too...I know bad right!! At any rate, Chino is fine with it, no dry skin or increased itching and he is so awesome when I'm bathing him...I think he enjoys it!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My dogs get baths only when they need them.  I do use whipes on them, as well as brush a lot to get the "dander" out.   Constant bathing strips the oils out of their skin causing dandrif or other skin issues.  Also make sure you are using products designed for dogs.  People shampoos have a different PH level then those formulated for dogs and can also cause irriations.

I do know my dogs dont smell like dog.  I think it has something to do with their diet.   However if Mr. Nibs goes to daycare, he comes home smelling like a dog - its gross!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I only use puppy products...what types of wipes do you use?? He loves to be brushed, I try to brush him once a day for 10 minutes. I don't think it helps matters that he is crated during the day while we are at work. For some reaon it makes him smell doggy like...

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've accepted that my dogs smell like dog and I'm sure all my friends probably thing its gross to be around me because I smell like dog too!  :poked:
I bathe my dogs maybe one every three months at the most.  Unless they roll in something!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have only given Harleigh a bath once in the 6 weeks I have owned her. That was the first night we brought her home as she had an accident on the way home. We use wipes too like Heather stated. My vet told me that there really isn't a reason to bathe them that often. Only in dire situations.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't give baths unless he gets into something.  Not a big fan of putting unnecessary chemicals on skin so I just use plain water.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ours get baths every 2 to 4 weeks.  The deciding factor is me.  I'm allergic to dogs, so when I break out in hives, they get a bath.  This isn't anything extreme, must be a fur/skin issue with me, but I get bumps mainly on my forearms and face.  This is from contact!  After both the dogs and me have had a bath, the hives disappear.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I only bathe Maddie maybe 4-5 times a year. In between I use baby wipes. I will wash her feet more often when I can't stand the Frito smell anymore!  :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah got a bath right before Thanksgiving and will probably give her a bath next Saturday after we go to the dog park.  She doesn't smell bad but noticed she is looking pretty dirty since it has been so muddy out.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't know how people can smell "dog smell" on their own dog. I'm sure he smells like dog, and so does my house, but I don't smell any thing.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I don't bathe Phoenix all that often...their fur doesn't seem to hold on to dirt because its so short. She might get 4-5 baths a year. Even then sometimes its just a warm dip in the tub not even really a shampoo. I don't find she ever gets that skinky dog smell.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We usually bathe ours every couple of months.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Mine get about 4 baths a year, if that...Matter of fact it's almost that time and we shall try out their new shampoo they got in their Easter Basket :) I use unscented wipes on mine as well, but to be honest, they really don't have any smell..Samson does sometimes, but not much

·
Registered
544 Posts
I only bath Templeton when he absolutely needs it so maybe a few times a year.  It's hard at the stable sometimes because he loves finding dead animals to roll in back in the fields...sounds gross but it smells even worse!!!  Throughout the year I try to groom him as much as possible and sometimes I spray on some horse Show Sheen - that spray makes his coat super shinny and soft.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We bathe our dogs every 2-3 weeks.  I can't stand the doggy smell (esp. bad on the lab)!  I use Groomax for Dogs  Black Velvet Shampoo (for dogs with dark coats) that I get at Petsmart.  It really makes our black lab and Duke very shiny (it claims to have Chamomile and botanical oils).  Neither Chipper nor Duke have any issues with dry or flaky skin.

G

·
0 Posts
JeepKuntry\";p=\"99025 said:
Ours get baths every 2 to 4 weeks.  The deciding factor is me.  I'm allergic to dogs, so when I break out in hives, they get a bath.  This isn't anything extreme, must be a fur/skin issue with me, but I get bumps mainly on my forearms and face.  This is from contact!  After both the dogs and me have had a bath, the hives disappear.
That's exactly how it is for me as well!  Especially on one of my dogs who has really really short fur, he gives me hives a lot easier and sooner than my other pup.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Freya's been with us for almost 2.5 years now and she's had 1, maye 2 baths. She's a very clean dog though with no odor at all. Jack hasn't had a bath since we got him a month ago but he needs one, he smells like Freya's saliva and has a long black stripe of an un-identified source going down his side :lol:.

Kerri

1 - 20 of 44 Posts