Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 9 weeks old and we have had him about 5 days now.I could not figure out why his head was stinky even after hed had a bath.Well we found out that it is his ears.I just got done cleaning them out and wow, they were dirty.How often should this be done?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There are a lot of experts on ears here that can tell you much more than I can, especially about what may be causing the ears to be dirty and smelly.  He might have a yeast infection or ear mites.  I think I remember reading that giving your puppy 1 tsp of plain unsweeted yogurt every day can provide probiotics which help avoid problems such as yeast infections.  Since he is new to your home, it's probably something you will want to have your vet look at.  Seems like new puppies always have some little issue to deal with.  Good luck with him.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello!  I clean Lola's a few times a week because she's had 3 yeast infections in her ears so I like to keep them nice & clean!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Havent ever had to clean their ears,  :lol: Thats just one of the benefits of cropping ;) no ear infection/yeast mold mildew or soap scum, in the way floppies are prone to them.  :wink:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I clean Lilly's ears 3 times a week.  I just gently wipe them out with a baby wipe.  She thinks of it as a great ear rub!!!  LOL!!!  If your pups ears are smelly and really dirty, it may be smart to take the pup in for a vet visit.  They may have a yeast infection or ear mites, as Kate said.   I would also start the pup on 1 TSP (teaspoon) of plain, low fat yogurt per day.  This will help fight off the yeast naturally (and it also helps with the Boxer gas)!

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I generally clean mine once a week, just because..Also do the teeth cleaning as well.. :) I call it our "hygeine day"

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I clean Fiona's once a week.  One week I clean with half/half distilled vinegar and water, the next week with alcohol.  The distilled vinegar will also keep ear infections away and the alcohol will kill ear mites if any have been picked up.

If the stuff you cleaned out of the ears was black looking then it may be ear mites.  If so, then alcohol will kill them or you can go to the vet and get something....

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
lmao @ hygene day..i can jsut see myself trying to brush Isis's teeth...i may jsut have to try it to take pics hahahaaahaha

i clean their ears once a week or so with white vineger and warm water..works great & have used the yogurt few times a week for almost 2 yrs

works great...Isis is the dirty girl..shes always other colors BUT white..today shes redish with blue and pink..hahahhaha

redish from the ed dirt she decided would be fun to roll in and the blue and pink are gum that she got stuck to her butt and it left a mark haaahahahahah

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
lillyzmomma\";p=\"38234 said:
I clean Lilly's ears 3 times a week.  I just gently wipe them out with a baby wipe.  She thinks of it as a great ear rub!!!  LOL!!!  If your pups ears are smelly and really dirty, it may be smart to take the pup in for a vet visit.  They may have a yeast infection or ear mites, as Kate said.   I would also start the pup on 1 TSP (teaspoon) of plain, low fat yogurt per day.  This will help fight off the yeast naturally (and it also helps with the Boxer gas)!

Hope this helps...
That's one teaspoon, right?  Not one heaping tablespoon?  :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts