Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
That seems abnormal.  Lola at that age had no problems going a few hours without peeing.  We brought Lola home at 7 weeks and after probably 2-3 weeks she was making it through the entire night without going potty.

Do you crate her at all?  Crating helps them control their bodily functions as they typically do not want to soil their "den".  They are clean dogs and crating helps teach them to hold it.  I would think, at a minimum, your dog should be able to go 3-4 hours without going potty.

There's many posts here about crating, it's benefits, and how to introduce it correctly to your dog.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nexu\";p=\"84199 said:
Crating helps them control their bodily functions as they typically do not want to soil their "den".  They are clean dogs and crating helps teach them to hold it.  I would think, at a minimum, your dog should be able to go 3-4 hours without going potty
I agree with Nexu he should be able to hold it for at least 3 hours....  I crated my boxer/lab (still do when I go to work) they do not like to potty in their den..  He holds it all day when I am gone.  Good luck

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
how much is he drinking? If you free water and he is drinking ALL the time then he is going to have to pee all the tie. in that case it would be normal. If he isnt drinking excessivly but is peeing that often then i suggest taking him to the vet and seeing if he has any urinary issues.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Fist off I'd like to say welcome to you and Oogie!

I would also agree with what others have said, at 4months he should be able to hold it for an average of about 3 hours....I know that at 4months Gaby could hold it for 2 1/2 to 3 hours no problem and I free water, so I would definitely consult your vet.....maybe Sharon (SharonL) will see this post and give her opinion on the situation, she's a vet..

good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's normal.  When I first got major, he peed every 10-15 min.  and we would take him out all the time, so he got used to the habit of peeing often.  He also drank alot, but at 4 months, he peed every 45 min. or so.  And we weened him off of peeing so often by making him hold it longer.  At this time though, he did hold it the whole night, (actually he held it the whole night from when he was 3 months) so that is why we knew he could hold it, but was just used to us taking him out all the time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would say that's a definite possibility.  Major really started to hold his bladder very well once he got fixed, which was at 5.5 - 6 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just thought I would let everyone know that we took Oogie to the vet Saturday with a urine sample. They did find bacteria, and blood in his urine. He's a twice a day antibiotic for 10 days, then he gets tested again after those ten days.  I'm a little worried because the vet said that when it's a puppy, they keep the idea in the back of their head that it may be congenital. :( Does anyone have any thoughts?? I feel horrible for just thinking he couldn't hold it very long when all along he was sick. :( Poor baby!

G

·
0 Posts
many many many puppies get UTIs...less common in males...Jetta at around 3-4 months had one..2 weeks of antibiotics seemed to clear her up.  Don't beat yourself up...when you found out it could be an infection, you got him checked and treated- you are doing great!  I think the reason pups get UTIs are
1.  they don't "clean" themselves up as well as adults
2.  they have weaker immune systems, so are more prone to illness
3.  Their little urinary tracts are much closer to the ground than adults, and smaller..so bacteria can get in there a lot easier

make sure you give him lots of water...add it to his food if you have to and think he isn't drinking enough.  Cranberry pills can also help- I gave them to Jetta during her treatment.  and above all else...give him lots of loving!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts