Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided today was the day I was going to try to start getting back into shape (haha..) so I took miss Autumn with me out for a little jog.  We didn't go far, 16 residencial blocks or so (we went in a circle, 3 blocks north, 1 block west, 7 blocks south, 1 block east, then another 4 north again to get back home - her standard morning and before bed walk) and to be fair the last two blocks we walked as I was completely pooched!  Autumn just loved it, she spent most of it doing a super springy canter and now she's passed out hard (she would be passed out hard right now either way - morning nap time haha).  I'm sure she could have gone much longer than we did, but I certainly could not have!!  

I've gone a bit further with her on my bike, but she just trots along side my bike, we go slow because I don't want her to get one of her crazy bursts of energy and bolt, taking my bike with her haha.

Now, I know you're not supposed to push them too hard when they're young, their bones, joints, etc.. need to develop first...Autumn just turned 10 months, is this too young to be doing that much running?  I wouldn't take her any further than that at this time, I'd say the run was no longer than 10 minutes (including pee break).  She's so low key it's hard for me to remember how young she is sometimes.

It's going to be bad news for my getting back into shape plan if she is a bit too young still haha...I'd feel like a real jerk leaving her home while I'm out for a run so I'd probably just skip the run all together!!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
From what I was told, on pavement it's like no more than 5 minutes per every month of their age, per day ... so she's good for 50 minutes a day, but I don't know about the running part...that was the info I was given for walks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've read a fair amount on this subject and talked to my dog trainers and they say you should wait til they are at least 18 months old to begin running or biking on leash.  They also said 24 months is a good point to wait til for any intense exercise of that kind.  Any sooner and their bones just aren't developed enough and they risk injury.  With that said, I still occasionally run or bike a block or two with Spinx just to get him used to it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah shucks...that's sort of what I figured.  I waited too long with my goldens and Tessa was too chubby to keep up (and was like, 7) and Pippin just did not care to bother trying to keep up haha.  Some day I'll have a dog to get exercise with.  Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know that info about walks either, I have apparently been over walking her if that is the case.  I guess this summer is not the summer that I'm out in a bikini :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah I run with Oggie in the yard for 15-20 minutes straight and although he loves to run, he has to take breaks, especially if it's 70 degrees or warmer.  I can tell it'd be too early for a real forced run with him and he's almost a year old.  And I don't do any pavement, it hurts my knees bad enough I can only imagine what it feels like to him!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't get discouraged, there are other ways to get exercise and have fun with your dog.  Try searching your area for large dog parks with trails or normal hiking trails.  I hate running and Spinx is too young to bike, but we go hiking nearly every day for 1-2 hours.  It's different because he can stop, start, and rest as he pleases.  

Good luck and have fun with it, you only have a little left to go.

Brian

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yeah, I was told that too...hiking you can do at any age, as long as you listen to what they want.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely wait til at least 18 mos for any activity like that, same with agility...Those growth plates needs to be closed to protect the joints....Running, walking should be kept to soft surfaces, especially at a younger age, but even fully grown it helps those joints a lot to stay on soft surfaces :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts