Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boxer, Chili, is 5 months old. I feed her 3 cups of food per day, as per the instructions on the puppy food bag. I feed her Nutro's Natural Choice, which was recommended by my vet. But, Chili is VERY skinny. I can see her ribs. And she is always hungry. I also feed her lots of pigs ears and bones which are high in fat. Someone mentioned that she may have a thyroid problem. I don't want to be an over-anxious dad, but I'm an over-anxious dad. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
im still new to this myself.. but i think if you can not count all of her ribs then she is okay..
have you tried feeding her peanut butter? maybe in a kong? im not sure if it will work but i know peanut butter is good for her non the least.. as well as cottage cheese.

just some thoughts on more to feed her.. she is beautiful

·
Registered
942 Posts
boxer are naturally a little more lean than most dogs, so it's okay to be able to see ribs...it's not okay if you can see their hip bones and/or all of their ribs. Try maybe giving her more food, those guides that are on the back of the bag aren't very acurate. I don't think it would be bad to feed her more if she's skinny.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
As stated above the boxer breed is very lean. You should be able to see the last two ribs, but should the spine/hip be easy to see then the dog is under weight. We used peanut butter sandwiches as a snack in the afternoon and a spoonful of cottage cheese mixed with the food in the evening to fatten up Savannah.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
it is perfectly fine if you cant see them :) just means she is a healthy girl :lol: just if you CAN see the last two ribs than it is ok. hips/spine being seen is never a good sign in any dog.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would not worry.  If you think she is too thin, then increase each meal by 1/2 cup or so.   The guidelines on the bag are just that - guidelines.  I always adjusted up or down based on how my dogs looked or their activity level.  

Plus puppies go thru lanky skinny stages as a result of growth.  So one week they can look fat, two weeks later a bit on the skinny side.  

**I would look into bully sticks and avoid the pig ears.  Only because they are not 100% digestbable, contain some chemicals and can post problems of blockage if they do not break down.   Bully sticks are digestable.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"51597 said:
**I would look into bully sticks and avoid the pig ears.  Only because they are not 100% digestbable, contain some chemicals and can post problems of blockage if they do not break down.   Bully sticks are digestable

Heather- I don't give Sadie Pig ears or anything...but what is a Bully stick??

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would say that if you cant see thru her then she is ok.........j/k.I would ask your vet or someone knowledgeable about boxers that can see her in real life.When I first got Jake he was to skinny and my told me to feed Jake as much as he wanted until he thickened up a little bit.Maybe try that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If she is getting so skinny that her hip bones are sticking out. Feed her more. Have worms been ruled out? Remember all dogs especially Boxers should have a waist. You should be able to just make out the last few ribs and their should be a bit of a tuck up to the belly. An hourglass look from above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, thanks everyone for all the great tips and advice, I feel better already.  btw, all the pics of your pooches are awesome...you gotta love boxers.  thanks again, cheers.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Chili\";p=\"51577 said:
My boxer, Chili, is 5 months old. I feed her 3 cups of food per day, as per the instructions on the puppy food bag. I feed her Nutro's Natural Choice, which was recommended by my vet. But, Chili is VERY skinny. I can see her ribs. And she is always hungry. I also feed her lots of pigs ears and bones which are high in fat. Someone mentioned that she may have a thyroid problem. I don't want to be an over-anxious dad, but I'm an over-anxious dad. Any suggestions?
OMG that is so cute!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Felix was really ribby at that age too, I could see 3 or 4 sets of ribs even though I fed him more than the recommended amount, plus extras added to his food like canned sardines, turkey necks, and eggs (not all everyday).  
How many times a day do you feed her?
Ditto Hannabanana on the pigs ears- and what kind of bones?
I would suggest looking into switching dog foods too.  While Nutro is better than the Science Diet stuff that a lot of vets push, it still doesn't rate very high according to THIS website.  Nutro Natural Choice is rated a 2 out of 6 stars.  I am really glad for finding that website, it has taught me a lot about dry dog food- you can do a search for your food, and there is also a wet dog food rating system.
good luck with the pup!

·
Registered
358 Posts
We feed Cassie on Neutro puppy and haven't gone by guidelines on the back of the bag from about 3 weeks after we got her home, Boxers are a very diciplined breed and tend not to over eat so we just fill her bowl and she stops eating when she's had enough.

She tends to eat about 6 to 7 at night then sometimes again at about 10 to 11 depending on how many treats or bits she's had over the day

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Just want to say Chili is adorable.  I agree with the others, up her food a bit and add some extras.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts