Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on how to break Ruby from nibbling on your hand when she's excited and playful?  I understand that it is normal puppy behavior, but I have 3 young girls and the nibbling scares them.  I've tried telling her no, ignoring her and refusing to play, but those haven't worked yet.  Any ideas?  I don't want to squash her excitement, but I'm wondering if a flick to the nose would work?  

And just a little brag....no accidents in the house in 5 days!  Ruby will also sit and shake for a treat!  I'm so proud!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Way to go Ruby!!!  :clap:  I always did the ignore on Chloe and it seemed to help with her nibbles..But my moms dog the ignore didn't do a thing so we would let out a yelp to let her know she was hurting us and then ignored her and it worked.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yelping loudly gets their attention and sends a clear message...THAT HURTS!!!  Also, get your children involved in your dogs regular training routine.  This will send the message to your pup that your children are leaders of the pack as well and should be respected.

Hope this helps!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel, even now does that occasionally when she is very playful. I just turn, look at her and say 'UH UH', she stops, but it took us awhile to get to that point and the last thing you want is your kids being scared of her as well. The yelping idea is a good one and something that your kids can do as well, like Liz said, get them involved in training, it's good for them and Ruby  :) ...

By the way, Way to go Ruby, 5 days accident free! Such a good girl  :clap:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I use the phrase "uh-uh" too. But it's a common phrase used... everyone knows what it means; "NO!" Sarah knew what that meant before she knew what "No." meant... lol. Odin still does it during play when he's really excited... he doesn't mean to I think he's just all riled but the second I say "uh-uh." he stops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I say no teeth, and it seems to work for a little bit (when playing) but he starts up again after a little while so I have to remind him.  He doesnt really clamp down though, he kinda just puts his teeth on you or around your fingers, but I imagine that will change when he gets a little older.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Yea Ruby, no accidents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats on Ruby having no accidents.  I hope to one day reach a similar level of zen with Windsor.

I don't mean to Hijack the thread but I figured the topic is the same.  I have the same problem with Windsor.  I don't mind the energy, I don't mind running outside in the 105 degree heat, but my problem is that Windsor ALWAYS reverts to biting when we play.  I've tried everything I can think of.  

-I've tried replacing my hand with a toy but he bypasses the toy and goes straight for the flesh.
-I've yelled "No" but this seems to give him an all new burst of energy and aggression
-I've yelped(as high up as my voice will go) and turn around but he goes for the back of the head and ears.  

Here is another thing, he charges.  He's got to weigh some ~20lbs now but at his sprinting speed he gathers some pretty good kinetic energy and wham!  He likes to ram his thick little skull straight towards the face.  

I worried that he wasn't getting enough exercise so I started taking him on 2-3 30-40min brisk walks a day, throwing tennis balls, giving him chew toys but no matter what we play, *snap* he starts running around at full speed and then charges straight at me or the wife.  As soon as we stick our hands out to push him away or stop him, chomp!  

He's only about 10.5 weeks old, is this just a phase?  

I'm thinking that when he weighs in at ~60lbs, it won't be cute but downright painful.

·
Registered
291 Posts
at first tyson nibbled a lot, i would give him a firm no biting command and then ignore him.Be firm,yet gentle -do not show excitement or anger.  after a week or so he got the idea and learned it was not okay to nibble on me, funny thing is he will play bite on the hubby but not me. it has to be consistant and include the behavior in the command that you do not approve of. Provide extra toys that are good to help teething and boredom.

also I was watching the dog whisperer this weekend, he says a good way to break the habit is to tell them no and actually put their their lips over their teeth gently of course and they nibble themselves pups or dogs alike do not like that. just an idea.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yelling at them when they are excited makes them more excited! :?
Pretending to be hurt and saying no bite will work, eventually.

As for the charging, it will stop eventually, too.  Henry used to do that when I was standing up.  He'd wait till my back was turned, then whamo right into the back of my knees!  He actually knocked me down once! 8O   And he was just a little feller!  Well it scared me when he knocked me down and I think it scared him too, because he hasn't done it since.  That was months ago.

Sounds like normal puppy stuff, that with time and training, will go away.

Z

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This is old school training, but we learned that when a puppy charges like that and is biting at you (as he probably would do with other puppies in rough play), just put your knee up and block him (ie., let him run into your knee throwing him off balance).  He won't like it and you haven't done anything to hurt him, just block his agression.  Then tell him no and try and distract him by giving hime a toy or something he is allowed to play with or do.  Constantly letting him get the best of you teaches him he's the boss and not you.  Don't know if this is still appropriate training, but it worked for dobies we trained.  Better ask Liz though, she's be the expert.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts