Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I just joined this forum as I have a question to ask of you all Boxer puppy owners. So our Boxer puppy
Charli is 5 months (almost 6 months) old and she’s been a real fun puppy to have around. We are familiar with Boxers, my dad grew up with them. We just had a Boxer for 5 yrs that was killed from a mountain lion attack last year and that was so sad for us. This Boxer puppy came to us a couple months ago, and we love her. We have had her around new people before, she goes with me to town occasionally, I’ve had her at the vet several times due to a kennel cough she’s dealt with and her shots. Last time I was at the vet for her shots she wasn’t sure about getting out of my truck and growled when she saw the lady coming out to walk us in, I’m sure she was scared and just not sure about the visit. A few days before that I had her with me (on the way to do a friends chores) at our small town coffeeshop drive-thru (I work here n I know these nice people), she was in the passenger side and my boss’ husband tapped on her window and scared the ever living daylights out of her as I can imagine! she growled at him (the first time she found her actual growling voice) was shaking and had her hackles raised.eventually she settled down. Since then if she meets “strange people outside her bubble” she will growl and cower and it takes a lot of convincing to get her to meet the new person who just wants to say hi and pet the cute puppy. she takes a treat very happily and nicely from people, once you pet her and affirm that you’re not going to hurt her, she wiggles and gives you all the kisses. Today I took her with me on a walk and met our neighbor and her friend on our way home. She saw them, once they got closer she started growling and her hair raised, she wasn’t sure about them at all. I don’t know what to do or how to correct her and teach her people are OKAY to be friendly to, if I say so. She did finally get up the courage to say hi once the nice lady coaxed her over for a good scratch and she was ok. I don’t want this puppy turning out aggressive and mean to strangers, our last Boxer was the best family dog + we all loved her but she gave anyone that didnt “belong” on “her” property a good run for their money and had them convinced she was going to bite their heads off. Most people she was fine with after a good sniff down and a couple scratches. Some people she never liked, and had fun scaring them. She got a lot more possessive/aggressive to strangers once my younger brother was old enough to be walking around and getting into trouble. We are hoping Charli will not be that way, and I would appreciate all the advice and tips on how to teach her people are nothing to be afraid of. I really want to nip it in the bud, in case it’s not just a phase! I don’t want people getting scared if she growls, and her learning a growl keeps them away and then it turns into a game. What do I do?Thank you!
* dog parks/training classes aren’t an option since she’s not had her kennel cough vaccination yet, she still had some cough so she only got the last of her puppy shots + rabies on her last visit.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't force anything but I also wouldn't keep her away. Is there a place like a bench in an area where you can just sit with your girl and just watch people a couple times a week. Something where she realizes people walking by you aren't a threat, but also where they wont come right up to you. She may never be an outgoing, greet everyone as a friendly dog, but you could condition her to pretty much ignore people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I wouldn't force anything but I also wouldn't keep her away. Is there a place like a bench in an area where you can just sit with your girl and just watch people a couple times a week. Something where she realizes people walking by you aren't a threat, but also where they wont come right up to you. She may never be an outgoing, greet everyone as a friendly dog, but you could condition her to pretty much ignore people.
Ok thanks, definitely will try not to force it. that’s a great idea - yes there actually is a place I could take her to just watch people, assuming most people will still walk the trail in the winter and it’s not to cold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One mistake that people often make in this situation is petting the dog and saying, "it's ok, it's ok" in a sweet voice while the dog is growling. This well-intentioned attempt to soothe instead gets interpreted by the dog as praise, so they feel encouraged to continue growling. I'm not sure if that's part of your particular situation, but just thought I would mention it since you didn't say how you're trying to correct her.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I’m not thinking the growling from this dog is a fear response not totally she may just be more on the protective side. If she is willing to let people pet her I would not let anyone force themselves on her in fact if you could give her some time in the presence of strangers before an attempted contact it would be best. Never let anyone corner her or force themselves on her or attempt to put their hand in the vehicle. Many Boxer particularity females have a strong protective instinct, if you are out in public or at the Vet and she growls a quick correction and a firm no is usually enough. You may have to face the fact that not all Boxers are wiggly lovey dogs I have had 2 females now who were not but the difference is I trained them to behave in public places and made sure no one invaded their space.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not thinking the growling from this dog is a fear response not totally she may just be more on the protective side. If she is willing to let people pet her I would not let anyone force themselves on her in fact if you could give her some time in the presence of strangers before an attempted contact it would be best. Never let anyone corner her or force themselves on her or attempt to put their hand in the vehicle. Many Boxer particularity females have a strong protective instinct, if you are out in public or at the Vet and she growls a quick correction and a firm no is usually enough. You may have to face the fact that not all Boxers are wiggly lovey dogs I have had 2 females now who were not but the difference is I trained them to behave in public places and made sure no one invaded their space.
Is 5 months a little young to start being protective? it does seem to be more a fear right now because when she’s out of her element is when it happens, when she’s not sure about something.she is not possessive of her food or toys to any of us 🤷🏼‍♀️ I could be so wrong but either way, we do not want her growling at people. she doesn’t have to be the friendliest dog in town, it’s ok if she barks and makes it known when a stranger is on the property or someone has arrived but there is no reason to be aggressive unless someone is stealing/trespassing. we’d like to correct the growling before it becomes a habit, and I wanna do it right so I do not contribute to that behavior. if she doesn’t stop growling with a firm no, what can I do next? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One mistake that people often make in this situation is petting the dog and saying, "it's ok, it's ok" in a sweet voice while the dog is growling. This well-intentioned attempt to soothe instead gets interpreted by the dog as praise, so they feel encouraged to continue growling. I'm not sure if that's part of your particular situation, but just thought I would mention it since you didn't say how you're trying to correct her.
Ok haha yes on instinct I definitely wanted to say “hey it’s ok You’re ok” now I know for sure not to do that! I’m not completely sure how I should correct her if a firm no doesn’t suffice. But we will keep trying, I also was wondering if carrying treats with me for people to give her at a distance would work too? to try to Teach her that people are nice and nothing to be scared of?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
This is like you said part fear and part protectiveness there is a difference between protective and agression. What she needs from you right now is to be her alpha and when she growls either quick tug on the leash with a no or ssh! When someone approaches you can have them offer a small treat if she is willing to get close to them then you need to reward her with good girls and a happy voice make a big deal of it. Dont let strangers loom over top of her dogs can get intimidated by that they should approach from the front of her. You really don’t want her to feel she needs to bite to get people away that would be very hard to undo. And there is the factor of dogs just dont like certain people they give off a bad vibe or maybe something is off about them so listen to your gut and her she depends on you to protect her. My dogs have very good temperaments but they sometimes run into people they aren’t sure of or sometimes we run into things they don’t understand the first thing they do is look at me to see how I am reacting and what they should do and that’s what you want their trust as their leader.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I'd likely to go places where she will see strangers and just sit, every time a stranger approaches, BEFORE she reacts treat her. Later walk around strangers, again before she reacts treat her. Eventually you can let preferably someone you know work with you. The idea is to get her to learn that strangers aren't scary and they can be nice. My boxer loved everyone but from day 1 he associated new people with nice treats. Growling isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is a warning that she is uncomfortable in certain situations. A dog that is simply punished for growling can end up a biter. You have to know your dog which it seems you do. My poodle was reactive so I did this with him, I had to get his attention on me before he noticed the stranger and or other dogs. He got treats to get his eyes on me and we played tug,,or did many heels and about turns. This took a very long time as it started with people/dogs being quite far away. Eventually as they got closer he would look fat me for his treats and play. He is still a reactive dog though as he is protective of me. So a stranger just cannot walk up to me and pet him, he wouldn't like it but what I do if I go to the vet for is walk him, as he is busy looking about I hand the leash over and she walks away and I go away in the other direction. He then is very friendly and does whatever she asks of him. but he won't if I'm on the other side of the leash. Now my dog is friendly, and mostly ignores others, which is fine with me.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Hmm, I started this a few day's ago but got busy soo ...

Well first "keeping your mouth shut." Is good advise, you can say "It's OK," all you want but the dog does not believe you? If he is under stress. You have to "Show them," it's OK by "Keeping people out of there face." Actions speak louder than words. Your dog needs to trust you to keep them safe. You have there back and they'll have yours! I accidently "Proofed," that one with my first "113 Lb Working Line GSD," that did not much care for people. But that's another story.

Two thing's I would never do, nor would any of the trainers, I would recommend, who deal with "Dog's with, either fear or aggression issues. Is use treat's to "Trick the Dog, into letting people into the dog's face. For one thing dog's under stress or excited really. Won't take treats?

My Boxer Struddell Luv'd people (she thought strangers were the best thing since baked bread!) And she did not care about treats, meeting strangers was the treat for her. Now where the use of treats can be an "issue," is with dog's with "people Issues." And that could go wrong like this. The dog gets focused on the treat from the stranger (and forgets the stranger is even there,consumes, the treat and then looks up to see some tool hovering in there face? WTH, where did they come from? And "Snap," they have there first "bite on the record."

I have only heard him growl once towards people? And it was so low that no one heard it? X-Mas thime and I mistaken thought he would be as happy to see people as my Gunther (Band Dawg) and Struddell, but he was not?
He stayed by my side and I thought "Well this is odd?" And then I noticed he was staring at every new guest like they were raw meat? Well Ok this is odd? He never moved, but he locked eyes on everyone? So I kneeled beside him and I "felt a low growl," in his chest ... WTH?? And my blood ran cold! I was afraid to get him out of there so I just stayed with him and just told anyone that asked "No you can't pet him! Anyway Stru was keeping folks busy with her antics. :)

So "Space management," seemed to be the answer? So I went with that. I did the same approach with a "Fear of People Boxer," at a massive Adoption Day event. And it worked just as well, so well in fact that I thought my rescue was wrong about him? I would just about five away to answer questions. And then with one person she asked to pet him? And "Tic Tack Toe," was standing quitely by side. I was thinking it about an answer, when the lady step forward anyway? And I felt "Tic Tac Toe," press aginst my leg? I looked down and he looked up at me and his eyes were big as saucers! I thought "Oh there it is fear of people!" And I got him the hell out of there! And much to my surprise he was adopted the next week? I saw he before I worked with him and he looked pretty beat down and terrified at the "Petco Event."

Anyway I manage a dog's (Rocky's) "space, very well." So no need to defend, I was always/usually the first point of contact and he was behind me and just observed. And he got used to that and after awhile, I did let "some people meet him."

But your pup is 6 months old? I am a bit surprised that your having issues? My Rocky GSD was fine when we got him at seven months and it was 6 or so months later when he copped an attitude?

But it doesn't matter, the following (thing's) should work anyway regardless of age or issue. Now first is to "Walk, your dog." This is extremely important. It helps to build a "Bond of trust." But at 6/7 months with Vaccinations and growing muscles and tendons and such, you really should not take him very far on walks.

Grass would be good but again if he is not fully vaccinated? You really want to stay away from areas where other dog's go.

This next part is the "essence," of managing his space on walks you want him to ignore people. Once he starts to get use to that, he will learn he does not need to fear having to be around people . More details on that point here. : Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Well the article seems to have changed a bit over the years? I did not use treats to enhance engagement with me? But take note "he ,"is giving the dog treats and not a stranger. I still think the dog would not take the treat in any case but whatever?

And I never claimed my "Rocky," was a "Service Dog?" But if someone was really pushy, I would say he is in "Training." And that was true ... he was being trained. " He was being rained Not to bite the crap out of people." No one ever asked, in training for what?:)

And on walks, I was always the first point of contact. If he was beside me, (which he was at first) if someone looked too interested in him? I would stop and step in front of Rocky. I was always the first point of contact and he was "good with that." I refined this approach even more later on.

I would at first if "approached," turn and say Stay to Rocky. And meet whoever and explain, "No you can't pet him and I would just say "Fear of People." And that was "Good Enough, for most people." I only used the "In Training, bit at first. But that tened to lead to more questions? Fear of People, was much simpler.

And (the Body block) worked so well in fact, that later on. If "Off Leash," on walk's, if I stopped to talk, he would automatically step about five feet behind me and lay down and wait.

And he learned people don't matter, he just ignored them. And after a while I did start to let him meet a few people as I could "Read Him." But yeah I was always cautious with him, but bottom line, was no corrections and he never acted ontowards with people while out and about. And he was one of the few GSD's that did not need to be "Drugged or Muzzled," to visit the Vet. He was often one of the best behaved dog's in the office. The staff had no issues with him.

Next the Sit and observe bit? That is actually a "thing." Very old,old school but it works' and looks like this.:

And it is not so the dog can meet and greet, it's just so he can be calm "Watching People," but not being touched by them. And finally the "Place Command." And this one is very useful around and trains a dog to be "Calm."

SInce you have a puppy I'll show this one as it look's like a good way to start.

And Tyler Muto

And "Place," is not the same as "Stay," at a glance they look the same but they are not. A stay is usually 3 to 5 minuets at most? The dog expects to move shortly? A properly trained "Place Command," (takes awhile) but is 2 hours in Place. If you say "Place," it tells the dog ... it's time to settle down.

None of this is new but if you at "Trainers," that Deal with Dog's with "People Issues," (successfully) they all tend to do the same thing? I solved Rocky's people issues first and later became curious as to how "exactly?" And the rest is history, he passed in 2015 and never bit anyone! And I am pretty sure it was because of years of "Grain Free Food!" But he was a great dog but yeah a lot of work but it was not hard. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, I started this a few day's ago but got busy soo ...

Well first "keeping your mouth shut." Is good advise, you can say "It's OK," all you want but the dog does not believe you? If he is under stress. You have to "Show them," it's OK by "Keeping people out of there face." Actions speak louder than words. Your dog needs to trust you to keep them safe. You have there back and they'll have yours! I accidently "Proofed," that one with my first "113 Lb Working Line GSD," that did not much care for people. But that's another story.

Two thing's I would never do, nor would any of the trainers, I would recommend, who deal with "Dog's with, either fear or aggression issues. Is use treat's to "Trick the Dog, into letting people into the dog's face. For one thing dog's under stress or excited really. Won't take treats?

My Boxer Struddell Luv'd people (she thought strangers were the best thing since baked bread!) And she did not care about treats, meeting strangers was the treat for her. Now where the use of treats can be an "issue," is with dog's with "people Issues." And that could go wrong like this. The dog gets focused on the treat from the stranger (and forgets the stranger is even there,consumes, the treat and then looks up to see some tool hovering in there face? WTH, where did they come from? And "Snap," they have there first "bite on the record."

I have only heard him growl once towards people? And it was so low that no one heard it? X-Mas thime and I mistaken thought he would be as happy to see people as my Gunther (Band Dawg) and Struddell, but he was not?
He stayed by my side and I thought "Well this is odd?" And then I noticed he was staring at every new guest like they were raw meat? Well Ok this is odd? He never moved, but he locked eyes on everyone? So I kneeled beside him and I "felt a low growl," in his chest ... WTH?? And my blood ran cold! I was afraid to get him out of there so I just stayed with him and just told anyone that asked "No you can't pet him! Anyway Stru was keeping folks busy with her antics. :)

So "Space management," seemed to be the answer? So I went with that. I did the same approach with a "Fear of People Boxer," at a massive Adoption Day event. And it worked just as well, so well in fact that I thought my rescue was wrong about him? I would just about five away to answer questions. And then with one person she asked to pet him? And "Tic Tack Toe," was standing quitely by side. I was thinking it about an answer, when the lady step forward anyway? And I felt "Tic Tac Toe," press aginst my leg? I looked down and he looked up at me and his eyes were big as saucers! I thought "Oh there it is fear of people!" And I got him the hell out of there! And much to my surprise he was adopted the next week? I saw he before I worked with him and he looked pretty beat down and terrified at the "Petco Event."

Anyway I manage a dog's (Rocky's) "space, very well." So no need to defend, I was always/usually the first point of contact and he was behind me and just observed. And he got used to that and after awhile, I did let "some people meet him."

But your pup is 6 months old? I am a bit surprised that your having issues? My Rocky GSD was fine when we got him at seven months and it was 6 or so months later when he copped an attitude?

But it doesn't matter, the following (thing's) should work anyway regardless of age or issue. Now first is to "Walk, your dog." This is extremely important. It helps to build a "Bond of trust." But at 6/7 months with Vaccinations and growing muscles and tendons and such, you really should not take him very far on walks.

Grass would be good but again if he is not fully vaccinated? You really want to stay away from areas where other dog's go.

This next part is the "essence," of managing his space on walks you want him to ignore people. Once he starts to get use to that, he will learn he does not need to fear having to be around people . More details on that point here. : Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Well the article seems to have changed a bit over the years? I did not use treats to enhance engagement with me? But take note "he ,"is giving the dog treats and not a stranger. I still think the dog would not take the treat in any case but whatever?

And I never claimed my "Rocky," was a "Service Dog?" But if someone was really pushy, I would say he is in "Training." And that was true ... he was being trained. " He was being rained Not to bite the crap out of people." No one ever asked, in training for what?:)

And on walks, I was always the first point of contact. If he was beside me, (which he was at first) if someone looked too interested in him? I would stop and step in front of Rocky. I was always the first point of contact and he was "good with that." I refined this approach even more later on.

I would at first if "approached," turn and say Stay to Rocky. And meet whoever and explain, "No you can't pet him and I would just say "Fear of People." And that was "Good Enough, for most people." I only used the "In Training, bit at first. But that tened to lead to more questions? Fear of People, was much simpler.

And (the Body block) worked so well in fact, that later on. If "Off Leash," on walk's, if I stopped to talk, he would automatically step about five feet behind me and lay down and wait.

And he learned people don't matter, he just ignored them. And after a while I did start to let him meet a few people as I could "Read Him." But yeah I was always cautious with him, but bottom line, was no corrections and he never acted ontowards with people while out and about. And he was one of the few GSD's that did not need to be "Drugged or Muzzled," to visit the Vet. He was often one of the best behaved dog's in the office. The staff had no issues with him.

Next the Sit and observe bit? That is actually a "thing." Very old,old school but it works' and looks like this.:

And it is not so the dog can meet and greet, it's just so he can be calm "Watching People," but not being touched by them. And finally the "Place Command." And this one is very useful around and trains a dog to be "Calm."

SInce you have a puppy I'll show this one as it look's like a good way to start.

And Tyler Muto

And "Place," is not the same as "Stay," at a glance they look the same but they are not. A stay is usually 3 to 5 minuets at most? The dog expects to move shortly? A properly trained "Place Command," (takes awhile) but is 2 hours in Place. If you say "Place," it tells the dog ... it's time to settle down.

None of this is new but if you at "Trainers," that Deal with Dog's with "People Issues," (successfully) they all tend to do the same thing? I solved Rocky's people issues first and later became curious as to how "exactly?" And the rest is history, he passed in 2015 and never bit anyone! And I am pretty sure it was because of years of "Grain Free Food!" But he was a great dog but yeah a lot of work but it was not hard. :)
Thanks for the response. A lot to process for sure. Definitely will be checking out the YouTubes you have linked here in your response! I’m hoping to prevent it from becoming a problem or habit, She’s only a puppy so now’s the best time to teach her good habits and what’s not.she is outside most of the day romping around so with all her energy exercise is her favorite. She isn’t on a line or chain or anything when outside, she gets the run of 15 acres..I don’t always get to take her for a walk (she’s on a leash when I do) and it’s not a big deal since she gets PLENTY of exercise, but I will take her every day I possibly can to get her accustomed to strange people. Im really hoping that following the advice everyone has given me that we can get past this and nip it in the bud. Just hoping I don’t come across rude to anyone I may meet on the way for not letting them pet the puppy right away 😁

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Actually I don’t think it’s rude to ask people to give your dog their space, I have had 6 boxers now and two of them would not accept strangers but when people would approach and asked to pet them I would always just nicely tell them my dog prefers her space and usually they wouldn’t be offended. I did intense training and socializing and realized pretty quickly that’s just who these dogs were, but they both could be taken anywhere in public and walked quietly around other people and dogs and they were fine. The two Boxers I have now are quite opposite they happily greet people you just have to work with what you have. At the end of the day she only has to be your dog doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks! I think this dog will turn around though. Keep those mountain lions away!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding rudeness, I heard a dog trainer once say, "You got your dog for your family, not for neighbors or strangers on the street." If they think you're being rude then they are simply incorrect. You're being a caring and conscientious dog owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there I just joined this forum as I have a question to ask of you all Boxer puppy owners. So our Boxer puppy
Charli is 5 months (almost 6 months) old and she’s been a real fun puppy to have around. We are familiar with Boxers, my dad grew up with them. We just had a Boxer for 5 yrs that was killed from a mountain lion attack last year and that was so sad for us. This Boxer puppy came to us a couple months ago, and we love her. We have had her around new people before, she goes with me to town occasionally, I’ve had her at the vet several times due to a kennel cough she’s dealt with and her shots. Last time I was at the vet for her shots she wasn’t sure about getting out of my truck and growled when she saw the lady coming out to walk us in, I’m sure she was scared and just not sure about the visit. A few days before that I had her with me (on the way to do a friends chores) at our small town coffeeshop drive-thru (I work here n I know these nice people), she was in the passenger side and my boss’ husband tapped on her window and scared the ever living daylights out of her as I can imagine! she growled at him (the first time she found her actual growling voice) was shaking and had her hackles raised.eventually she settled down. Since then if she meets “strange people outside her bubble” she will growl and cower and it takes a lot of convincing to get her to meet the new person who just wants to say hi and pet the cute puppy. she takes a treat very happily and nicely from people, once you pet her and affirm that you’re not going to hurt her, she wiggles and gives you all the kisses. Today I took her with me on a walk and met our neighbor and her friend on our way home. She saw them, once they got closer she started growling and her hair raised, she wasn’t sure about them at all. I don’t know what to do or how to correct her and teach her people are OKAY to be friendly to, if I say so. She did finally get up the courage to say hi once the nice lady coaxed her over for a good scratch and she was ok. I don’t want this puppy turning out aggressive and mean to strangers, our last Boxer was the best family dog + we all loved her but she gave anyone that didnt “belong” on “her” property a good run for their money and had them convinced she was going to bite their heads off. Most people she was fine with after a good sniff down and a couple scratches. Some people she never liked, and had fun scaring them. She got a lot more possessive/aggressive to strangers once my younger brother was old enough to be walking around and getting into trouble. We are hoping Charli will not be that way, and I would appreciate all the advice and tips on how to teach her people are nothing to be afraid of. I really want to nip it in the bud, in case it’s not just a phase! I don’t want people getting scared if she growls, and her learning a growl keeps them away and then it turns into a game. What do I do?Thank you!
* dog parks/training classes aren’t an option since she’s not had her kennel cough vaccination yet, she still had some cough so she only got the last of her puppy shots + rabies on her last visit.
I strongly encourage you to find a trainer specializing in reactive dogs. My 13 month old is doing the same thing and it’s getting worse. I finally found a trainer who knows this. The goal is not that your dog needs to be friends with everyone and dogs but simply not react. Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I strongly encourage you to find a trainer specializing in reactive dogs. My 13 month old is doing the same thing and it’s getting worse. I finally found a trainer who knows this. The goal is not that your dog needs to be friends with everyone and dogs but simply not react. Good luck 🤞
Sorry posted a reply without me lol.🤦‍♀️
if she gets worse instead of better I might try to find someone who will work with her.The only problem is there’s not a lot of dog people or trainers in my small area, there are some wacks that are not someone I’d let my puppy any where near...no offense...my vet would maybe know a couple not so fruitcake dog trainers. FedEx was here today and she met him on her turf, and was good with him. She did start a little growl when he got out of the van but a firm NO. and shake on her collar and she was ...fine. She happily took his treat with a wiggly boxer butt and wagging happy tail. I don’t want to overwhelm her or force anything, so we will take it slow. I also am teaching her the “place” command and she’s gotten the concept fairly quick. we will keep working with that. I do understand her being afemale may make her on the more protective side like our last boxer girl, but there’s got to be a cue she can learn to settle down and be fine with someone on command. She does not have to like or love them at all, but I just ask her to not get riled up.I want her to listen to my call off if need be. Honestly she loves pets and scratches and cuddles so maybe it will be just a phase she’s going through who knows. Definitely appreciate yalls responses and I will use a lot of this info y’all gave! thanks so much have a blessed day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
if she gets worse instead of better I might try to find someone who will work with her.The only problem is there’s not a lot of dog people or trainers in my small area, there are some wacks that are not someone I’d let my puppy any where near...no offense...my vet would maybe know a couple not so fruitcake dog trainers. FedEx was here today and she met him on her turf, and was good with him. She did start a little growl when he got out of the van but a firm NO. and shake on her collar and she was ...fine. She happily took his treat with a wiggly boxer butt and wagging happy tail. I don’t want to overwhelm her or force anything, so we will take it slow. I also am teaching her the “place” command and she’s gotten the concept fairly quick. we will keep working with that. I do understand her being afemale may make her on the more protective side like our last boxer girl, but there’s got to be a cue she can learn to settle down and be fine with someone on command. She does not have to like or love them at all, but I just ask her to not get riled up.I want her to listen to my call off if need be. Honestly she loves pets and scratches and cuddles so maybe it will be just a phase she’s going through who knows. Definitely appreciate yalls responses and I will use a lot of this info y’all gave! thanks so much have a blessed day!
The place command is a great tool. Sounds like you have this 👏🏻 I totally understand about whacky trainers.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have seen a lot of (so called) trainers who just don’t have a clue on how to handle Boxers one of the TV dog trainers mishandled a Boxer pretty badly they take a dog out of their home environment where the are “misbehaving” to a new environment a walla! A miracle happens he actually took an older female Boxer to his place put it with a pack of dogs all over her and then punished her for defending herself I don’t know of any Boxer who would not react to being attacked! The other TV trainer with the clicker and the treats well that didn’t prove to be helpful either. I think a lot of these shows are geared to let people off the hook for their dogs bad behavior and the fact they took no time to train the dog at all so I have a pretty dim view of most of these. Your best result happens with you one on one train how you want her to be not how someone else says she should be.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Oh wow! It seems more owners are aware of the "possible issues," with the "Find a Trainer advise," then I was aware off? That "advise," used to tick me off all the time on Germanshepardforum! I will grant there are a lot of "Good Trainers out there. But the issue once you understand "uh I have a problem here?" Is one if you can afford them (a lot of dollars get flushed down the toilet and what to look for?

The "broad answer," would be in my view a "Balanced Trainer," a "Trainer," that will correct a dog when necessary, but does not put the dog in a position to "Fail." And as it happens, they all train "The Place Command." It helps to train "Calmness," into the dog. And with that I;ll move on to the topic at hand, ... with this footnote. :)

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Well that is excellent! If a "No," (which is an actual command) and a slight tug works and she accepted the treat and gave a butt wiggle? She is not that bad, you gave her times to process, what is going on? So most likely, "Who Pet's," per the link, will work for you? The behind me, thing that I did,was my modification, per my dog. I could not take any chances.

But at the time, I did not know what I was doing? But hey if I let him see people and not "have to interact with them? That should work. :)

And it did ... pretty boring really. But day in day out we walk, and day in day in, I would often stop and talk, with Rocky behind me. And he got use to that ... "Same Old Same,Old." Now I actually have no idea how long it was? He was my dog myresponsibilityy so I did not care, about time but mostly weeks and not months?

And well he was the only "large Blk GSD," in our town so he was noticed. I fielded a lot of "is he a wolf, questions?" And of course the answer was "No," he is a dog and we move on. :)

It was hard telling people no you can't pet my dog, sometimes it broke it my heart? Espically coming from a Boxer, that Luv'd to meet uh everybody! But I had to do it. And I was very good at spotting folk's that "looked, to interested?

And I would cross the street to avoid them. That usually worked, so he knew how to behave , if I stopped and talked. But I would just, as well, not have to do that. See and not neet. Kind of odd I suppose but it's what we did.

And then one day it changed. I did my usual on point guard bit. I spotted some guy, up ahead that looked "interested," in us? Now near as I could tell? We looked like everybody else walking their dog? But this guy, saw "something different?"

Uh oh, I cross the street per the norm to avoid. Rocky was good with stop and meet but I would just as soon avoid it whenever possible. But then he crosses the street to intercept?? Oh crap! Now there was no way to cross the street, again without being obvious? And if I did "Rocky," would know "something was up?"

And by now (thought I did not) Rocky, understood what was normal and what was not? So now it was "Game On," as it were, we meet. And I do the norm, stop about five feet away, get Rocky behind me and say stay. Rocky sits and waits. But this interaction is a bit different?

This guy (Ex Military) asked specific questions, about what we were doing? And not just the standard "may I pet, question?" Well this is different, so I take time to explain, what I was doing and why. He listens politely and I expect him to say OK and move on? But instead he asked me a question, that stuns me! He ask ... "well has that worked?"

Ok I had never been asked that before? So I turn around and look at Rocky, big smile and he looks fine. So I turned around and look at "Rocky," and he has the same big smile on his face that I know by now means "same old ,same old." So I say ... "I think so and step aside and let him pet Rocky?" And "Rocky," accepts his pet with no issue! And he said "nice dog you have there and moves on." My job was done!

Course that is just the short story, I skipped a lot of uh "other issues," five fight's with my Band Dawg," one of which had me in the ER for stitches, in my hand, when I tried to pry his jaws of Gunthers, neck breaking up a fight the wrong way! Good times, Good times.

But the thing is with him. None of the "Raging out of control behaviour," happened for five months or so? He was seven months we got him, and about 57 pounds then. And he got alone with my two other dog's and had no people issues, that I ever saw?

But about five months later, everything changed? In retrospect, I now know what went wrong? "Loose structure in the home." Molosser's breeds was my background, ie Boxers, Boxer Pitt's and (Band Dawg's (not a breed but a type of dog) pretty laid back and easy going as a general rule. They don't need a lot of rules. But a WL GSD yeah ... not so much?

Issues were gonna happen! Aww well, live and learn. But back on point that is also why, competent, qualified trainers, that can also help people will also say ... "That all issues start at home." :)

So I went "backwards" fix my dog first and then figure out ... why what I did worked? My life with "Boxers," save for sigh, health related Hearthbreaks. :(

Was just a lot of fun, my girl always made me smile. But yes it looks like ... you got this. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts