Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
i'm new to this forum.  My happiness is not doing well...but i can't write about him yet.  it hurts too much.  i do have a question to help my 2nd boxer. she can sense her friend is not well.  she's depressed and has started spending more and more time alone.  she's never been without him.  i rescued her as a puppy; instantly she bonded with my first boxer.  the one time i left her alone...she destroyed the house.  she experiences extreme separation anxiety.  what do i do?  how can i help her?  

thanks for any advice you can provide.  
-jennifer

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Oh honey, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.
I really don't know what to tell you, but somebody will be able to help.
p.s.
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh boy, this hits close to my heart, I have an aging boxer, Samson, who is 10 1/2 and Angel just turned 2, so I am dealing with some of this as well...Samson has arthritis, not real bad at this point, but it's getting worse.....We have made the deciosion to get another puppy as a companion for Angel before Samson gets worse..Samson just cannot keep up and God forbid if something happens it will help ease the grieving.....I'm not saying that is a solution for you, but just offering what I am planning as I know that it going to be a very difficult time.....I am very sorry to hear that Happiness is not doing well, hoping that others may be able to give you some other thoughts and ideas on some things you may be able to do....

By the way, welcome to the forum....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome and so sorry to hear your one boxer is not doing well; I wish I had some suggetions but can't think of any, I am sure others will be able to help.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum from all of us, and we are sorry to hear that your senior baby isn't doing well.  There are some terrific posts regarding separation anxiety in previous posts and I would suggest that you do a search for them and read through them.  I haven't had experience with that myself, but several others have.  Keep us posted on how you are doing -we care!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their warm words.  we're 90% sure 'my happiness', that's my nickname for him, has right side heart failure.  I can't write much more than that...my heart hurts.  
-Jennifer

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My thoughts are with your and your lovely boy....

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
im so sorry about this..i know that pain and its so hard..alot of us have been through similar..please keep us posted and we are all here to talk anytime you need and want to...

welcome to the forum btw

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm sorry, don't have any advice - just a shoulder to cry on if you need it. We lost our Sophie last year from congestive heart failure it's heartbreaking to watch. Please let us know how things are going, maybe more advice will pop up for your other boxer, what's her name? Kudos to you for her rescue.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I to had a boxer leave me due to her heart, and it broke mine. She was very young, only 18 months. At the time she was my only boxer, so i didnt have a grieving animal...just myself. I want to offer my sympathy for "my happiness" because i know this isnt an easy situation. I would look into what willow suggested. i know right now the last thing you are probably thinking about is another puppy, but i have seen this help an animal that was "left behind' when his/her companion passed away. My heart goes out to you Jennifer....sending boxer love.

BTW welcome to the forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to report a new drug (recently approved by the FDA) has so far...shown improvement!  It's now been 2 weeks since his last abdomen draining...a once weekly event.  Thanks for all the well wishes!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is great news. Hoping that he is on the road to recovery..Thanks for letting us know and will continue to keep him in our thoughts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Happiness is doing better. I just caught this thread and was reading through it hoping for a good outcome. Please keep us posted on his progress and we will be sending {{positive and healing vibes}} your way.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about you baby.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Glad to see improvement.  There's definitely alot of people hear that follow threads and check up on you when your babies are sick.  Best boxer website hands down!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks to all for your thoughts.  Harley, my happiness, has good days and so-so ones.  The medication is helping his spirit and improving his current quality of life.  However, the new meds are not cure.  Which means he gets spoiled with even more love...if that's even possible.

Boxerlove, your information is helpful.  I wish my two boxers were better with other dogs.  Harley hated me when i rescued Bella...would actually leave any room i entered or would position himself in a corner and stare at the wall.  Bella is unpredictable with other dogs.  Introducing a boxer puppy into our life would certainly help Bella bond before Harley passes (i can barely write that...tears)...but, a new dog would so upset Harley that I couldn't do that to him now.  If I wait to get another dog, i make a bigger mess...the puppy couldn't be left alone with Bella and Bella couldn't be left by herself.  The only solution...Harley cannot die!

Boxers Rule!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Prayers for all of you.  I agree that having a puppy would not be good for Harley, just give him time and love.  Even after a year I still cry when I read posts like this because I know just how hard it is to have our babies sick or when we lose them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I could hardly read these, my heart goes out to you.  I hope he continues to get better.  We went through the same thing, it gets easier (I know everyone says that but eventually it does).  I will keep you in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts