Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i saw a post concerning a dog that ate something bad and the owner used hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. i wondered how much to give and what was the procedure. not finding it on the forums i did a search and found this. hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Frequently, dogs ingest items, chemicals or foods that have the potential to be dangerous or even toxic. If you see this ingestion, you may be able to avoid the potential danger by making your dog vomit.

Inducing vomiting should be done only if instructed by your veterinarian. The procedure can be hazardous. We strongly encourage you to contact your family veterinarian or local veterinary emergency center for advice regarding the appropriateness of inducing vomiting for each specific incident. The item or substance ingested, the time and amount of ingestion, as well as the overall health of your dog should be considered prior to recommending the induction of vomiting.

Methods to Induce Vomiting

# Hydrogen Peroxide

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide.

Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

# Syrup of Ipecac

This medication is frequently used to induce vomiting in children. Unfortunately, it can be dangerous and even toxic to dogs so it should not be used unless specifically advised by your veterinarian.

# Salt Water and Mustard Seed Water

These are other alternatives that have been used to induce vomiting but have not been proven to be very effective. Therefore, it is not recommended to give salt water or mustard seed water for any reason to dogs unless specifically recommended by your veterinarian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Its very good to know. I was also reading that other post and thought I should get some and keep it on hand....just in case (knock on wood). You just never know :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Wow Annie really likes money :lol:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Anniesmom said:
Annie ate $800 cash. 1 tbsp hydrogen peroxide induced vomiting and I got all my $ back!
:eek: i guess she REALLY wanted you to spend some $$ on her!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Anniesmom said:
Annie ate $800 cash. 1 tbsp hydrogen peroxide induced vomiting and I got all my $ back!
nothing more awesome then paying for a new tv with soggy bills :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Anniesmom said:
Annie ate $800 cash. 1 tbsp hydrogen peroxide induced vomiting and I got all my $ back!
OMG insane! lol
Great post tho and very good to know!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Good info, going to make a Sticky of this as it does come up a lot..Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
This is an excellent video on how to get your dog to vomit.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/16303_dog-vomit.htm

I learned that you should NOT induce vomiting if any of the following are true

1. Swallows an acid, alkali, solvent or heavy-duty cleaner;

2. Is severely depressed or comatose;

3. Swallows a petroleum product;

4. Swallows tranquilizers (which prevent vomiting);

5. Swallows sharp objects (which could lodge in the esophagus or perforate the stomach);

6. Or if more than two hours have passed since the poison was swallowed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
Great info! I had posted a little while ago about Saurekraut to induce vomiting. I haven't personally done it, but Nikita's breeder recommended it in case she swallowed something she shouldn't have. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mybaddogs said:
I am going to have to try this on Kaiser tonight, he has a piece of Rawhide stuck in thte back of his throat
i dont know that i'd induce vomiting in that instance. if its stuck in his throat and he cant hack it up you probably need to take him to the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another thing to be mentioned (goes along with nlgordaz's post). same as with humans, if a liquid or soluble has been ingested that can cause more esophageal damage coming up, activated charcoal can be given to absorb the substance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
not to be gross, but my buddy's boxer got into his wife's purse and tore into a unused tampon, and got one in his throat, it expanded they called emergency vet said to give teaspoon of peroxide. Luckily he threw it up and is doing fine. they took to vet to get check out and all was good.

So rule of thumb... dont leave those lying around..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Thank you soooo much for posting this.

My Gixxer ate a tullip bulb a couple weeks ago and my girlfriend took him to the vet and 300$ later he was alright. the vet never told us about these tricks LOL i guess then they'd be outa business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
not working

Ruby ate part of her rubber football this morning.... trying the peroxide method but it's not working......
when should i stop feeding her more peroxide?
she's had about 100ml over the last 50 mins....
she weighs about 60 lbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Ruby ate part of her rubber football this morning.... trying the peroxide method but it's not working......
when should i stop feeding her more peroxide?
she's had about 100ml over the last 50 mins....
she weighs about 60 lbs
How big of a piece? Is it nerf-like material or hard rubber? A lot of times, they will vomit on their own as well. There's been so many times all of a sudden Duke throws up and I look and there's some stuffing from a toy or something that I didn't know he swallowed. There is a "formula" to how much peroxide to give. I didn't look to see if it's in this thread or not, but it is based on weight. If I'm correct in my conversion (I'm not versed in metric!), 100 ml = about 3 and a half ounces. I think that's quite a bit of peroxide. Keep an eye on her. If you notice she is not having a usual bowel movement, get her in to the vet, as the piece of rubber could obstruct the bowel. I have a feeling she'll bring it up on her own, though. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
about an hour after i gave up, she threw up.... a lot!
i had to sift through the puke to find the pc. there were two pcs.... all good now.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top