Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Good news, but I think a call to the vet's is always important to double check. I'd called our vet about Peroxide after Gus swallowed a large handful of nylon yarn from a toy. The vet said it could quickly move down, and block the narrowing part of his intestine (major problems). Peroxide is absorbed in the stomach, and takes awhile especially if it's full of food. The vet wanted immediate heaving, and gave him a shot in her office that made him vomit all contents within minutes. Who knows if there would have been a blockage, but all stomach contents came up, including some orange stuff I had to identify as sweet potato.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey! just a little info... Yes hydrogen peroxide will make your dog vomit..and yea it works fast. although, PLEASE take precautions when doing this. some things will actually cause damage if they are regurgitated ( chemical stuff) so i recommend checking with your vet to see if it is ok to come back up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
great info. and btw Jack is amazingly handsome wow :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
The key to the peroxide is having a syringe. I tired pouring it into Max’s mouth recently and it didn’t induce vomiting. I think it needs to reach their stomachs in order for it to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How Do I Induce My Dog To Vomit?

Inducing vomiting in dogs is not to be taken lightly. The first thing to do is to find out what has poisoned your dog. It is then recommended that you phone your vet's emergency phone number (more resources below) for advice. In all cases, inducing vomiting is only a temporary measure until you can take your dog to the vet. There are circumstances in which induction of vomiting is the wrong thing to do:
- If your dog is displaying convulsions, seizures, shock or lethargy DO NOT induce vomiting - instead seek veterinary assistance immediately.
- If your dog has ingested caustic substances DO NOT induce vomiting as this will tear the stomach lining.
If your dog does not display these symptoms, and has not ingested a caustic substance, then you can induce vomiting. Give your dog two teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide, or if you are desperate and have nothing else available a teaspoon of salt will also have the desired effect.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Unfortunately I had to test this peroxide thing this morning. At 9:30 my Karma swallowed a whole rope toy. Almost immediately i forced the peroxide down her throat. Could not find my needle-less syringe so i used a turkey baster! The peroxide hadnt worked to make her vomit by 10:15 so I called an emergency vet since it's an official government holiday today (Family Day).

They said to bring her down and they injected a shot of Apomorphine which made her vomit almost immedietly. The rope toy is out and she'll be a little drowsy today.

The vet said if it was left in she would have most likely NOT passed it in her stool and would have blocked her up requiring surgery.

I feel better now that i know i just saved $2000 and unnecessary surgery for my beloved girl. Sure, the $250 bill was hard to fork out of pocket but my sanity is worth more than that when it comes to my girls. I'll just have to work some overtime to compensate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Wow, glad you saw her or else you wouldn't have known soon enough to take action.
Glad Karma is going to be okay.

:)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
uggh! Been there. You need to make sure that the hydrogen peroxide in your cabinet is fresh. If it is older, it won't bubble in their tummy which is what produces the vomiting. I, too, have had to do this to get out parts of a bath towel. I hated doing it to the poor guy, but much better than a bowel obstruction. The Bermerse Mountain dog in our obedience class has been MIA for 2 weeks because he swallowed mom's panty hose and had to have surgery to remove it from his bowels. Poor baby.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts