Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard that I should have Boz meet the puppy on neutral grounds, for instance a park neither have ever been did you all do this or did you just bring the pup into the house to meet your other dog? Why is it so important?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've heard that to, I didn't follow it for introducing Oscar to Jetta, I think it applies more to older dogs (I could be wrong).  Jetta definitely had her kid gloves on she was very gentle with Oscar she knew he wasn't a threat to her territory.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, it seems a little excessive I'd say. Before we knew this rule we've had dogs come meet Boz at home and had no problems, I mean they didn't stay long but they still met on his ground you know? We're actually picking the pup up today and I'm so excited I can't sleep! I've been up since 4 am and decided to get out of bed! I hope someone is on to reply!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I took my dog with to go and get the new puppy.  I left him in the car and went in to meet and get the puppy so he had my scent all over him when I brought him to the car.  I had a barrier in the car to separate the two at first the one time and a small crate for the pup to go in the other time.  I let them bond that way while I drove back home.  Didn't take them long either.  That is my preferred way to do it.

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You want to always honor the first dogs seniority in the "pack" or family so he doesn't feel like he is being replaced.  That is why it is important to include him in things.  Feed him first and give him the treat first and reinforce that Boz is the "big brother"

Nano

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about bringing him along but the breeder didn't think it was the best idea, after all it would be 7 hours in the car for the poor guy!  
How long should I let him eat before the pup and give him treats before the pup?  I didn't know if it's important for them to be on an even field once they both get adjusted to everything?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My suggestion is to put the puppy in the crate or gated area.  Then give Boz his dish of food.  Then give the puppy his dish of food.  If you are passing out a treat, give Boz his first then the puppy his.  I use the command as follows:  "Mateo, Here (meaning this is your treat you can take it" then " Talia, Here."  It teaches them to wait for good things and that YOU are in control of the good things and helps prevent food and resource guarding.  A good book you might want to pick up at Barnes & Noble is "Mothers Knows Best" by Carole Benjamin.  It is a cute book full of good puppy information.  

I took my dog with to get Talia and it was a three day trip!  He loves to travel in the car and we had nice time together on the ride to get the pup and he was much calmer than if we had gotten the pup and I returned home to him without seeing him for days or hours as you know how wound up they get when your gone.

Good luck with the new pup!

Nano

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes! That's dedication!  That's really cool that you guys went that far to get the perfect pup! Thanks for all the advice, I'll go pick that book up here pretty quick!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I went 6 hours to pick up Mateo and took my female at that time with on that trip also.  That wasn't quite so far, but I was willing to go as far as I needed to to get him.  How exciting to be getting a new puppy!  You will be getting up at 4 am for a couple of weeks anyways, so good you started practicing today!

nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You're welcome by the way.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know right? My fiance is going to shake his head at me once he finds out how long I've been up...! I get a little cranky when I'm sleepy so it might not go over well  :oops:! I'm sure with all the excitement who could be crabby!
I'm studing to become a dog trainer(actually as we speak)! I'm in the early stages which is why I decided to get a puppy, we really like to rescue but the Boxer Rescues A. Doesn't adopt out to apartment reguardless of the owners didication and B. they pretrain all the pups before they adopt them out!  
How did you get into training? Do you own your own business? Who are you certified though or are you certified?  I'm super excited about it.  I'd love to hear all about your experiences.  I'm working at a groomers now and not exactly enjoying it... but there are no trainers in the area that need help or want to mentor. I got my first bite Thursday from a Pomeranian! I'm officially in the Bite Club!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I am lucky to work with a lady who is a Master Trainer and cerified Canine Behaviorist.  She is also a close friend and collegue of Suzanne Clothier who wrote the book "If Bones Would Rain from the Sky"  a  dogs prayers would be answered.  Another good read by the way.  IMO the best way is to find a good trainer and learn from them by attending their classes.  Like I said, I am a "canine connection" teacher.  I don't train obedience for show or agility or any of that type of stuff.  I am more into the behaviorial aspect of dogs and their people.  I do work with private clients with problem dogs under the guidance of Dr Coppotelli, my mentor.  It is wonderful.  You just need to decide how you would like to train.  My mission is to help people and their dogs understand each other.  All praise baised training with no clickers, gimmicks or other nonsense (IMO).  You certainly dont strike it rich training at first and my goal is not to make a living at it which would be very difficult where I live in the mountains.  It is really a labor of love for me.

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sign up with a trainer that you have recommendations on and take a basic obedience class with the new pup.  That would be a really good way to start on getting to know all about training.  Don't go to a PetSmart or other class like that.  Find a good trainer that uses praise based training and go learn from taking that class.  There is a lot to learn about dogs.

Nano

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's really cool! I've made some connections with trainers in the area, my boss is an obeidience trainer, I helped him teach a class, he didn't give me any warning on what we'd be doing that day and kind of  threw me to the wolves for lack of a better term so I really didn't look like I knew what I was doing! That's a great idea, I talked to a couple times a trainer is 100% praise based too, I should sign up for one of her classes.  That's really cool that you are in the loop with all these impressive people! I wish I had a support system around here like that.  
I don't want to get into conformation or agility or anything like that. I want to enrich the bond between the family and the dog.  The only thing I would even THINK about getting into is Obedience trials, not for fun but to show that I'm a good trainer you know? I'm not really into things like that but I would give it a  thought.
I thought I'd learn a lot about dogs working at the groomer but really I'm just for lack of a better word torturing the dogs, I can't blame them for biting me.  I would hate it if people were blowing hot air on me just to make me look good!  I don't think grooming or bathing is for me, not very much fun... I haven't learned very much about dogs.  Bassets don't like there feet being touched, big dogs don't like being picked up, no dog likes it's face being blown on with hot air.  I mean all these things are givens... I want out of the grooming business, it's only frusterating me.  I don't know where to go from here though.

Ps. I LOVE Mateos fawn spot on his chest in the white! It's so charming!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mateo says thanks! He thinks he's pretty cute too.  The spot on his chest is in the shape of an "O" that I believe came from the male I had before him named Osmond.  That was the sign that Mateo was to be mine!
He is CGC by the way.

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
How old is Boz by the way.

Nano

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We adopted him in September everyone thinks he's around 2 but I think he's more around 1 1/2 or something.  He's filling out so much not fat but his muscles are getting more defined, I just don't think that he's 2 1/2 but that's what everyone says.  His teeth are super nice, he's so pretty!  Why do you ask?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just curious regarding bringing home the puppy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts