Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just put in new hardwood floors in our kitchen.  Lola seems to get more food & water on the floor than in her mouth!  She's already done a little damage to the floor with all the water.  We have a towel down now, but it looks very tacky!  Any ideas on what to put under her bowls to save our floors?  I've tried those little mats that you get at PetCo, but the water gets under them because they're not big enough!  Thanks everyone :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
We ordered these mats from orvis. they sell them in different sizes, we ordered a 2 x 3 (a little bigger than a doormat) and hope that it helps given that we just had our kithen floors refinished.  it traps the water and apparently it dries quickly, rubber on the bottom to prevent it from soaking through.  We have the same problem with more water on the floor than in the mouth. If you go to orvis.com...look under pet solutions or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought some "Boot Trays" at Home depot.  They are designed for muddy and snowy boots to be kept in at the door.  They are about 18 x 30 inches and 1/2inch deep. These trays work perfect, the water and food stay in the tray and the bowls don't slide all over the floor. We had to go back and get another because our boxer boys don't like to eat by each other anymore.  Men!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use one of the interlocking play mat things that they sell @ Lowe's , but I might switch to the Boot Trays that Cashs-Mom described.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My sister has a plastic matt under maggies bowls as well.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!  I love the mats on orvis.com, but they might be a little to pricey right now.  The boot tray should work....and I've seen them at a store..only $2.99!  THANKS  :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found buying the raised dishes was the most successful.  The drip trays weren't successful with my aggressive eaters!
Raised feeding dishes slows the eating down.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i have a big water stain on my floor under the platic mat..we use a bathmat and i jsut wash it when i wash the dog beds...about once a week...we have a few bathmats to replace when soggy..works much better..rubber under it keeps water fromt he floor and i can just wash..the boot thing sounds like a better idea though

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As much as i love hardwood floors, after my one experience in Ireland, I decided never to have them again with dogs. They just don't stand up to the abuse...My floors were totally destroyed between the water stains, drool stains and claw marks....Ugh...We are getting ready to start our remodeling and I originally was going to put hardwood in all of the house except the kitchen and master bath, well, we changed our mind..It's going to be tile everywhere now...I like that boot tray idea tho, something to think about as Angel is total slob when she drinks water  :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts