Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are proactively trying to research on whether to add a female or male to our household.

We have an unaltered male who is 6 months old. I want to have him neutered around a year so October 2021.

We have the opportunity to adopt a female who is 8 weeks old on April 3, 2021. We learned that you should wait until a female goes into heat once to have her spayed.

Since we won’t be neutering our male until a year and we don’t want to have an accident, would we be making a mistake getting a female now?

If not, how hard it is to have two unaltered dogs of different sex? Is it obvious that a female is in heat so that we can keep them separated?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Well I guess she would be about 6 months old when you get him altered. She may just be or nearing her first cycle, so I would just keep a watchful eye out in the event he gets interested in her. That being the case you would need to be vigilant in keeping one of them crated until it was safe. Its fairly noticeable however 1st times cycles can be a little tricky to notice but what you will notice is him getting very interested in her. Talk with your vet and he can help you avoid any unnecessary breeding.

Now that being said you will have two puppies on your hands and that is a lot of work. I personally do not like adding a 2nd dog to my household until the first is trained well, and that normally takes me 2-3 years. By then the older dog helps train the youngster.

·
Registered
979 Posts
They are recommending now waiting until the male is 2 for neutering same for females but I have a male and a female as well I got the female first I did have her spayed around 7 months old my male is not neutered and he is 2 now. Sometimes a female may come into heat but you don't realize it so you do need to make sure you pay attention to your male to see if he is overly interested in her. I think you can do this until you get at least one of them fixed I chose my female because I didn't want to deal with the blood and mess in the house. A female can come into heat as early as 6 months or sometimes not until a year so you have to be watchful!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The most obvious way to keep male dogs away from a female dog in heat is by keeping the female dog away from all male dogs, but this is easier said than done. Dogs have a strong sense of smell, and male dogs are willing to travel great distances and overcome many obstacles to find their soulmate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts