Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

How to make her more independant outside?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  samsonsmom 
#1 ·
Our cocker, Brady, is great outside. We put him on a cable run and stand in the mudroom and watch him while he does his business. He comes back to the door, gets his praises and treat and inside we go. Abby, the boxer, on the other hand needs to be within 4 feet of us to do anything! So we have to take her out on the leash each and everytime. Not awful but I would like to see her be a little more independant. I have tried gradually swapping the leash for the cable run and standing out there with her, with the hopes of slowly going into the mudroom over time but if she is not on her regular leash she just stands and looks at me. I am not concerned about her being out on the cable run by herself for a couple minutes while we watch as she has no interest being outside and typically is done within a minute or two and heads straight for the door.  Our mudroom has windows on all sides too so we can keep a close eye on them.  But I would like to figure out how to get her to do this on her own...it would have been helpful this week when both my hubby and I had the flu and standing out in 10 degree weather was not the happiest moment in our day!

#2 ·
Well, maybe the freezing weather has something to do with it.  I was going to suggest playing outside to get her used to it, but it sounds like it's too cold.
We have the opposite problem.  Henry never wants to come in, unless it's raining.  But it wa 82 degrees here yesterday.
I'm sorry, this is not helpful :oops: .
Zhanna

#5 ·
I should just start a practice of putting her out on the runner when I know she's desparate, like first thing in the morning.  Maybe she will eventually learn from the praises that it's a good thing. Unfortunately theya re both desparate in the morning and I need to get them both out the door, only one cable = dog left inside for a moment pees on my floor. hm.  :roll:

#7 ·
She could have had something scare her also...Never know...Samson used to be that way when I first got him...I had to stand at the door and watch him. As long as he could see me, he was fine, if he couldn't he'd high tail it back inside....After awhile, he gradually got more independent..It's hard tho when you aren't feeling good and it's cold out... I know what you mean as we are working on getting Angel re-house broke and it's been nasty here for the last week....Just be patient, which I realize isn't a lot of help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.