Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bf was very "in the dark" about how to go about buying a puppy when he got Lola.  As well as I was before joining this forum.  He got her off a website...which I won't mention.  I don't think he ever asked about her parents health or if any health tests were done, he only asked about their temperment.  The woman he bought her from is not very helpful, it took months after we got Lola to get her papers.  If I have the sires name and AKC DNA number and the breeders name is there a way that I can obtain the parents health records or do I have to go through her.  She only owns the sire I believe.  I'm questioning this because I feel that Lola is sick all the time.  Hookworms, conguntivitis, allergies, loose stool, sensative stomach and now the cough.  I know these are not really big issues, but I want to know if there is a possibility for big issues to arise.    
Thanks for helping/listening to a very worried mom!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awe Lola, I am sorry you are having problems and I understand how worried you must be Alicia.  You might be able to get some information if you can find out who the vet for the breeder was.  If you can get a name, you can probably call and find out what kind of care the puppies received.  If no, your best bet is just keep Lola up to date on her own vet checks and do the best you can.  Even with health testing, they are a consant worry!!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If you are able to get the vets name on who performed the tests or who took care of the puppies the ONLY way that vets office will release the info is if YOUR vets office calls for records. Vet offices have the same rules as a human doctors office about not releasing patient info. If you are not the owner of the dog in their system they wont give you the info. I had to have Savannah's vet call to request her medical history because the "breeder" we got her from wouldnt give me her past two years health history. Unfortunatly AKC does not require the health testing so there is not a way to go through them for any testing that have been done. I hope she gets to feeling better soon!! Best of luck

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Good point Andrea, I called Kane's foster family's vet and got what little history on him I could, but because he was rescued from an abusive home, all I know is that he was brought up to date on his vaccinations and rabies shot right before I got him from the rescue, and our vet will redo everything again in one year.  I have nothing on him or even how old he is.  So I feel for you Alicia.  I'm going to have to make up a birthday for Kane so he can have a party - I know it's not a big deal to anyone else, but it really bugs me I don't know when he was born.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to get the information you are looking for other than get it from the breeder. If the breeder is not helpful I think there is no way. When Buster was diagnosed with hip dysplasia, I sent a copy of the X-rays to his breeder (through a pet store, so who knows where they went), in hopes that they would stop breeding in those lines, but we all know how that goes.
Now with Maddie, she is a rescue, I have no clue once again where she came from...BYB, puppy mill, pet store, or even reputable breeder, I just take one day at a time. If a health issue arises I will just deal with it then. But please don't worry about any future health issues. Our time is not any where long enough with these furbabies as it is. Just love Lola and do the best you can for her, and she will love you back for it!  :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you looking for info on parents ask the breeder if they are listed on the OFA website.  All you need is the name of the parents.  The OFA lists all sorts of certification and their outcome.  You can check for certs on eyes, heart, elbows, and hips. They only catch is there info has to have been sent to the OFA.  They are simply a record keeping organization.  Here' their link: http://www.offa.org/

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thank you Vivianne, I'm going to add this to our web list!! Good info  :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm with you Alicia..I don't know anything about Chloe's parents health..After we got her, a week later the so called breeders number was disconnected. It sucks not knowing especially when you are hit with different health issues every other month. I also worry about this all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts