Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice anyone can give me on how to stop Hayley from jumping up on me (and others) because of excitement would be greatly appreciated.  It wasn't really an issue when she was brand new but at 5 months it's starting to get old.  I have used "off" everytime but it doesn't seem to be doing any good.  Thanks!
April

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Try turning your back on her, arms over chest, no speaking when she jumps up on you as you (or someone else) walks in the door.  When you (or someone else) is sitting and she jumps up without being invited, stand up, arms crossed, no talking no eye contact. Every Time she does it.  It'll get old (especially for her) pretty quick...

If that doesn't work...Let sus know and we will go to another method.

Liz ansd Lilly

·
Registered
381 Posts
One of the most common techniques is to teach an alternate behavior and in this case, teach to "sit".  I think where most people screw up is they come home from work (or whatever) and the dog is all excited so they let the dog jump all over them and give them affection (reinforcing the bad behavior).  When we come home we have Lola sit before she gets any petting/affection.  Same for when friends come over or if we meet a person on a walk, Lola must sit before they acknowledge her or pet her.

She isn't perfect but she does pretty good for an 8 month old and we don't really work this behavior as much as we should/could.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
All good advice you have received. Another thing that helps when one is too young and too excited to get a sit is to let them drag a 6 foot leash and step on it when they approach so they can't jump praising with "good off".  It really helps with my younger pup.

Boxers do love to jump though! I've never had one that isn't a challenge to learn it's not appropriate behavior.  I think some of it stems from their way of playing when they jump at each other and box.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good advice by everyone....Samson never did that, but he was 6 when I got him..Angel on the other hand can be relentless. I have been working with her about not jumping on guests, as that is the most annoying part...When she jumps on either me or Marq and it's not welcome, I back up, and turn my back on her..Boxers don't like to be ignored..Keeping a leash attached is a very good idea also, we did that with Angel the first few weeks, mostly for potty training, but it works great for behavior too....I'm sure our resident trainer (Lillyzmomma) can offer you some great ways to work with Hayley also...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You name it, I've tried it with Charlie.  First I tried putting my knee up/out to block him.  I tried turning around.  Each time no matter what I do I say No.  Then I heard to squeeze there paws because they don't like it.  He'd jump up, I'd give it a little squeeze and he'd move in closer.  My guess is the jumping will decrease with time.  Charlie never jumps on me and Jessica unless I tell him to raise up.  I've tried to break myself of doing this also because I'm sure it makes him think that jumping is alright.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah i just turn my back to the boys, and still sometimes they try to keep on doing this and whenever i give them a knee which is only Dante because Zesu listens to me, Dante thinks that i am wanting to rough house play with him. But thats all the pointers i can give you in this situation. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks like I need to read the tips here... Odin is starting to get bad with jumping when he's excited... guess he's reaching the "terrible five months"?!?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am working on that with Baxter as well.  He is 10 months and has more energy than that body can hold.  Even with the turning around and not giving attention which is what i am currently doing, it will take some time.  They will find another way to get attention from what i see.  I hope you have better luck with it than i do.

cheers
:cheers:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hector is also really, REALLY bad for jumping, particularly on children.  I've been doing the "turn your back" trick with him, but it can be very hard to try and get the neighbours kids to do that - they just keep raising their hands or shouting at him, which only serves to excite him even more.  It's got to the stage where I won't let him outside with me if there are children around.  And by God can the little fecker jump HIGH - he gets past head level on most of the kids.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is just an idea but in our obedience class we were taught a method that I thought was very effective with Poe and all the dogs in class.  While the dog jumps on you shuffle and kind of stomp your feet  (shuffle so you don't step on their paws) and move forward into the dog quickly while saying "OFF"  or "UHHH UHH  OFF" , once the dog touches his four paws back on the ground you can give a positive marker such as "Yes" or " Good dog". I think the combination of you moving into their space quickly and the noise of your feet gets a good reaction.  There were some very jumpy dogs in class but after 5 minutes of doing this excercise they were all getting the hang of it.  I was really impressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts