Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,   Bruce is doing really well on the leash and is finally learning to stay beside me or even follow me..  to avoid our tripping all over each other.  But on the way back to the car from our our walk, whether it be in the woods or on the beach, it seems he is so excited to follow the scent back i can't seem to stop him from pulling like crazy.  He will stop and sit when I say so, until I move and invite him along..  But he goes right back to trying to pull me along.  He's still a little guy (thankfully) but I know I need to curb this behavior before he's taking me for a drag instead of me taking him for a walk.  I am thinking I may need a choke chain for starters...  He's 5 months maybe 35 pounds.. Is he too small for one?  What do I do?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Two tecniques I have learned.

1. Stop right in your tracks when he starts to pull.  Only go forward when he give the least some slack.  It may look funny and take you about 25 minutes to walk 6 feet, but the dgo will associate that he can only go forward when there is no tention on the leash.

2.  When he pulls, change directions so that you are pulling him, and everytime he runs ahead and pulls, change directions again.  

The first is something you can somewhat do in public without looking like a freak, but always practice even in the yard.  I have Hanna who at almost two can pull and still sometimes have to go back to basics!!

Good LUck

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts