Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog ​​often barking in the middle of the night, and when I go out to check, I find that there is nothing unusual. But he is still barking.
Why is this like this? I can't stop his behavior.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Its sounds counter intuitive but, I found if you can teach a dog to bark on command you can also teach him to stop.

With my current guy Zuke I trained the "speak" command to get him to bark. He is a very quiet dog. Only time he really barks is if someone knocks at the door which I am fine with. Occasionally he will bark at toys when excited or at me if he wants to play and I use the command "quiet" and he stops. Both commands were trained using high value treats.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
As Matt said you can also teach quiet, or that enough. Frankly if my dog barks in the middle of the night there is usually a reason. Maybe someone lurking around or an animal passing thru. I find it doubtful that he would just suddenly bark. I'd investigate, say its ok and back to bed Our boy is not a barker and if he does bark there is reason.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If he does not normally do that?? And only does at night?? I am pretty sure that even if you can not see it?? There is "something" out there?? Most likely a racoon or a opossum perhaps??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Our boys have a doggie door, so they go out as they please. Bandit likes to go out at night, and he'll bark at just about anything- cars passing, dogs barking, who knows what...that we can't hear. If there's anything of concern, our other boys will join him. It's not bad, or we'd lock him in our room with us or, train them not to do this.
I think because there are fewer sounds at night, that the few sounds that there are may trigger them more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been blessed with some pretty dam good watch dogs. my veteran boxer only barks when necessary to the T ! my 2 dogs rarely bark at the same time unless the mail man is down the street . now my other one will bark at many more noises . my home camera system is wired to my tv so I can see if somebody is walking up to the door or near my work truck etc. if it's nothing more than a wandering cat and he is going to irritate my neighbors then I tell them to be quite , usually works. another thin which may get backlash for is a training collar. what I do is use the beep not the shock! while he's barking give him a beep and he comes to the door to see what I want , keeps barking ...do it again then he forgets what he was worried about and thinks I may have something for him . the collar is 15$ on eBay I have never zapped my dog for any reason ! a training collar can be used or perceived in any way I don't use it in a negative way . it doesn't hurt him just a diversion tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your dog as you said is outside at night, maybe it is just lonely as Boxers very much like to be cuddled.
Josiesotherhalf is right. He's trying to tell you something Walt.
Boxers are not outside dogs. Bring that pup inside, put a bed on the floor in the bedroom. He wants to be included in your life:hrtbeat:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts