Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dempsey has been humping veryone in the family since I left to come to Iraq, I know this is a sign that he thinks he is in charge.
Is there anything they can do about, the wife has tried to use the phrase 'NO HUMPING", But that does not seem to work, the trainer that Dempsey went to on Monday suggested that to use a water bottle to divert his attention by spraying him to make him stop. will that have any negative affect on him?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Liz will be able to tell you the right answer lol.  A squirt of water is often a good choice for stopping a behavior.  I would try and do what your trainer has recommended.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know a lot of male pups go thru that stage and it's a dominance issue if I remember correctly..Buck never did, thankfully..If your trainer recomends using a squirt bottle, I'd try it and see how it works...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I found this:   Correcting a dog in a harsh manner for humping is not necessary and can create problems worse than the humping. Work with the dog to develop several behaviors the dog will perform on cue, such as sit, down, come, fetch, go to a spot and settle calmly, go find a toy to chew, and any trick the dog enjoys doing for a reward.

The list of alternative behaviors can be endless. Vary which behavior you cue as a distraction from humping. This keeps your intervention interesting for the dog, and helps avoid encouraging new obsessions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I cought my 9 week old humping the other day, I was shocked although it was with another male dog that is extremely dominant but I didn't think he would start that young so I hope this problem doesn't begin.
The suggestions I have is honestly as much as this sounds weird, your wife should hump him back so he gets the sense that she is in control. I personally have never done this and hope to not have to but I have several friends with dogs and some have had this problem and used this to control it. Now they only use this when the dog tries to hump them personally as a natural response of what another dog in a pack would do to prove who is dominant. Of course since you have a trainer involved and they have met the dog they probably have the best advise.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thats funny u bring this up because we were at a party about a month back we brought jessie with us. We were telling this couple how jessie humps once in awhile and then they said when there dog humps they hump him back  :rofl: I could not stop laughing at that..I guess I just wanted to share

·
Registered
20 Posts
Roxanne has just started this behavior and I was definately shocked..
is it strange for girl dogs to act this way?
she has been humping the kids mostly our son  :oops: .. what reason would she be doing this?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
BucsFan\";p=\"30837 said:
Dempsey has been humping veryone in the family since I left to come to Iraq, I know this is a sign that he thinks he is in charge.
Is there anything they can do about, the wife has tried to use the phrase 'NO HUMPING", But that does not seem to work, the trainer that Dempsey went to on Monday suggested that to use a water bottle to divert his attention by spraying him to make him stop. will that have any negative affect on him?
Have you read the "dog body language" sticky? It's very informative...the humping doesn't mean the same thing to them that it would to us...Liz can often help with this sort of question...seems to me that distraction is a good way to go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts