Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zuke hunting minnows. He has yet to catch one in 3 years. He tries every year though, so an A for effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Zuke is a gorgeous boy! Its cool he likes water I have had only one of my boxers who loved to swim I could not keep her out of the pond where I kept my horse she would be just swimming along nub up like a little periscope! My dogs favorite thing to hunt is crickets and they do catch them I guess they squish them and spit them out (at least I hope they do) they spend a lot of time in the yard doing that. That comes second to chasing any neighborhood cats who may be in the yard!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zuke is a gorgeous boy! Its cool he likes water I have had only one of my boxers who loved to swim I could not keep her out of the pond where I kept my horse she would be just swimming along nub up like a little periscope! My dogs favorite thing to hunt is crickets and they do catch them I guess they squish them and spit them out (at least I hope they do) they spend a lot of time in the yard doing that. That comes second to chasing any neighborhood cats who may be in the yard!
I don't know if Zuke can actually swim. lol He will only go up to his neck in the water. He loves smashing crickets that get into the house with his nose. Then he looks at me like "why aren't they moving anymore?"

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I think Kai would stand there and look, if he even got his feet wet, lol but the poodle..now given the opportunity I think if I threw a ball into the water he jump right in. He would make an excellent hunter...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found this pic on an old phone of the 1st day I got Zuke. Can't even remember him being so tiny. Crazy how fast they grow up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Kai would stand there and look, if he even got his feet wet, lol but the poodle..now given the opportunity I think if I threw a ball into the water he jump right in. He would make an excellent hunter...
Zuke was wary the 1st time, but I just walked in(didn't want to force him in) and I guess the idea of following me overrode his nervousness at that time, because he just walked right in. Now its harder to get him out on a hot day.lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zuke is SUCH a handsome guy!! His puppy picture is precious; those big baby puppy eyes are gorgeous.

It is sweet he trusted you so much to follow you in the first time he went minnow hunting. I love his determination lol! If he ever finally catches a minnow you'll have to post a pic and we will all celebrate!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Love Zukes' baby picture! I took my dogs down to the local river but we just looked at it. Its been so hot here this summer that I heard about a dog who contracted Lepto from a river south of here so now I am scared to let them in the water I didn't know that Lepto could be found in running water I did not get the Lepto shot since a lot of boxers have a reaction to that vaccine. We have also had some algae blooms around here that have been killing dogs when they are exposed to the water so we just went down and looked at it today maybe one day we will try it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did not know that about the Leptospirosis vaccine. Thank you for mentioning that.

Did a quick search and found this on the Mercola site:

"The leptospirosis vaccine contains a powerful adjuvant that prompts a strong immune system response. It carries a significantly greater risk for adverse reactions than other types of vaccines."

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zuke is SUCH a handsome guy!! His puppy picture is precious; those big baby puppy eyes are gorgeous.

It is sweet he trusted you so much to follow you in the first time he went minnow hunting. I love his determination lol! If he ever finally catches a minnow you'll have to post a pic and we will all celebrate!
Lol. I will keep you posted. I'm guessing he never gets one. He avoids the crabs now after one snipped his paw. Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love Zukes' baby picture! I took my dogs down to the local river but we just looked at it. Its been so hot here this summer that I heard about a dog who contracted Lepto from a river south of here so now I am scared to let them in the water I didn't know that Lepto could be found in running water I did not get the Lepto shot since a lot of boxers have a reaction to that vaccine. We have also had some algae blooms around here that have been killing dogs when they are exposed to the water so we just went down and looked at it today maybe one day we will try it.
I have heard about that, especially in the south. That would worry me also. Where I'm at is basically the inlet to the Atlantic ocean. Salt water, lots of water movement from the tides. They also do water reports I can find online in case there are any issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My friends boxer had a strong reaction to the Lepto vaccine so that's how I found out about it. My first boxer broke out in hives after getting the shot but at the time nobody was linking the two things. My Vet also told me that there were many different kinds of Lepto and that the shot did not cover all the strains of it so now I have something else to worry about! A lot of the places we walk are farm fields and wooded trails but have not had a problem so far. I heard people can get this too.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My friends boxer had a strong reaction to the Lepto vaccine so that's how I found out about it. My first boxer broke out in hives after getting the shot but at the time nobody was linking the two things. My Vet also told me that there were many different kinds of Lepto and that the shot did not cover all the strains of it so now I have something else to worry about! A lot of the places we walk are farm fields and wooded trails but have not had a problem so far. I heard people can get this too.
Interesting. I don't even know if my guy got that vaccine. I would have to check his records. I know he got a nice bump from the rabies shot. Lasted about a month, but the vet let me know beforehand, so I wasn't concerned at all.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I must say Zuke really matured into a really good looking boy. You can see from his baby picture till now how much these guys fill out. My daughter came home a few days ago and said one of her co workers wanted to give her , her boxer. That made me sad but I had to say no. There are already 4 dogs int his house, I'm having trouble keeping it clean and my husband isn't well. Too much from to handle. I hope she just keeps her dog. She isn't one to abandon it so I feel she is responsible for it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts