Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an incredibly frustrating conversation on another forum (another reason I appreciate this forum so much) on hybrid vigor, and mixed breeds possibly being a slight bit healthier genetically than a random purebred.
Many, many people vehemently objected, but I couldn't get reasons, mostly just insults. You guys are an intelligent thoughtful bunch, of that I am sure. How do you feel, and why?
My thought was that as a group mix breeds will be a teensy bit healthier, because genetically not-great traits that have incomplete dominance or that are recessive will be less likely to display, because the other copy of the gene is less likely to exhibit the same fault.
Of course a dog from a really nice proper breeder is a different story, I am simply referring to purebreds as a group, and mixed breeds as a group.
Thoughts? Is there a point that I've failed to account for?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Idk, I just feel like if your not willing to put the time and money into going to an actual reputable breeder who produces a wonderful healthy dog, then you'd be better off rescuing than getting a pup from a puppy mill or BYB.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
LOL ... still looking for a "civil" "Pitty" group???? :)

Ah well "Forums" depend on the "individuals" there in. Some forums have no issues with mixes and others do??? And in "Pitty" world ... last I looked you could dual register an "APBT" as an "American Staffordshire Terrier" on the CKC in effect the same dog. But if a dog is registered as an "APBT" on the CKC then he can't be shown or registered with the AKC.

As far as the CKC is concerned the APBT/American Staffordshire Terrier are the same dog. Try telling an American Staffordshire Terrier that his dog is a "APBT" and you best be ready to "throw down!"

And yes "hybrid Vigor" is a thing but in "PB" it's not that important. The whole point of "PB" is an established type/temperament and behavior. That's a part of why people like them.

Not to say Mixed breeds can't inherit traits from multiple breeds ... I found "Boxers" because I had a APBT/Boxer mix. Stewie, just struck me as kinda sorta "different" then my "Bull Mastiff/APBT/Lab mix?? Just not as serious about uh ... anything. :)

I lost him young and had to pick a breed and I went with "Boxer" cause that is what I thought I was seeing in him and yep sure enough ... nailed it! :)

But dogs do change someone always wants to develop a better dog for ... whatever. In 1995 the "Dogo Argentino" was recognized as a "Breed."

Why is that signification here you may ask?? Well ... take a lot at the members of the foundation stock used in the development of the "Breed." :

History of the Dogo Argentino | Dream Dogos :)

And some of what you are asking ie genetics and health etc. Your not looking in the right place ... "American Band Dawgs" ... big and tall, short and stout, everybody is looking to create the perfect blend.

The best site I have found for all that "madness" is here:

Midgard Mastiffs

Only tip I can offer as to finding a civil "Pitty" site is to look and see if a given site has a "mixed breed" section??? As to your guy a APBT/Boxer mix I belive?? By and large what you won't see is "built in" Dog Aggression. Training dependent of course.

But my baseline "I don't you I don't know your dog, keep your distance ... I'd do the same attitude??" Yeah ... that came from Gunther ... the aforementioned "American Band Dawg!" He rolled out of the box not liking other dogs??

With work and an intelligent approach (keep dogs out of his face) he got over it. But his "attitude" caught me off guard?? No dogs harmed by him ever ... I'm a quick study. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, you are correct Chip, and seriously, this is just the best forum for anything I have found. The forum I'm referring to was just a general dog forum would you believe!
I feel bad posting so much here when my girl is only half, but I can't find anything half as good, so if no one cares, I'm staying, and I'll have to get my pit info from articles.
Luckily Wren is great with other dogs, I used to work at a Doggy Daycare where I met her. But she does have leash reactivity issues, so we're working with a trainer on that, using clicker, and we've been seeing some fantastic results. We're still not ready to introduce on leash, but maybe someday soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and actually the pit sites had a lot on built in Dog Aggression, but treated it like a good thing, a 'must' even. I just didn't have the stomach, and if that's really what a pit is, which it's not, I figured my girl just didn't fit and I wouldn't ever be continuing in those forums long ago.
I completely agree with the benefits of knowing what you're getting, and that can be so important. My argument was just that mixed breeds overall might be a little healthier, because let's be honest, most 'breeders' are not true breeders.
I do live true breeders...
As a side not I had a client come in the other day with two wonderful Airedales... One had been rescued from a horrible person calling himself a breeder...
He fed the dogs decaying road kill, kept them in tiny cages, and many were missing toes because they couldn't pull their feet in when racoons came round and wanted to chew the dogs toes off. So you see, I think many people breeding dogs should never get the title of breeder...

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Meeting on leash ... seems "reasonable" but is actually a very serious "potential" issue! "Leash Barrier Aggression" being restrained by the leash can "create aggression!"

If this is a "known" dog your talking about?? Then there are things you can do to insure a smooth encounter. If your contemplating a random dog on the street encounter ... "NO!"

I have to get back to this thread ... but take a look here:

http://www.boxerforums.com/1914993-post4.html

And more directly for reactivity issues see here:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Brady our Sheprador

If she walks on leash fine already??? Then don't concern your self with the "Prong" but as long as your using a "Proper Tool" a correction is a slight tug sideways! I'm not really a "clicker" fan myself but if it works for you ... go for it. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh don't worry, we're working with a trainer, and honestly I not ever going to do meetings until the trainer okay it and supervises several. Even then of course we aren't going to meet just any dog. But I do hope to someday soon ish be able to meet another dog on leash if possible, and our trainer thinks it's definitely possible.
Wren doesn't do the the early growly thing, she fixates, but we've been making real progress I think.
Of course it's possible she will never be at a point where she can meet dogs in leash, but we hope eventually she can, because she lives dogs so much. She has a blast at daycare, and behaves beyond perfectly, but still we'd like to do playdates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts