Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 5-year old boy, Paxton, had surgery today for a benign tumor in his ear. His vet suggested a teeth-cleaning while he was under and we agreed. I received a call during surgery stating he had hyperplasia gingivitis and would we authorize removal of several "tumors" as they can cause problems if left untreated, including overgrowing his teeth and malignancy. We did and I picked him up an hour ago. I received a jar of over 20 small nodules from his gums, the ear tumor, an antibiotic, and Gabapentin for pain. Two questions:
1) I looked up Gabapentin and found it's not FDA approved for use in dogs and some vets don't feel the benefit outweigh the side effects. Anyone have experience with your boxer? He drowsy from the anesthetic but seems uncomfortable when awake (he's a very stoic boy).
2) I read hyperplasia gingivitis is chronic and the "tumors" will grow back requiring annual surgery?! Anyone have experience or know of a cure or way to delay growth?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My dog has had Gabapentin for pain before it did help but not well. I think Vets had to go to that because people were abusing the drugs prescribed for their dogs pain management its very sad and unfortunate for the dogs. The nodules on the gums I did have one of my Boxers get those she actually got a big one near her front lower teeth that had to be removed but I don't remember it ever coming back. Does Paxton have stuff around for him to chew on like nyla bones or benebones? My dogs chew on those and I throw them away when they get sharp but I have never had to have a dental done on any of them. Their teeth stay very clean all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts