Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had many pets over the years but this is my first boxer. Her name is Dakota she’s nine months old. She’s had ear issues from day one. She’s had several yeast infections. We use the vet recommended ear cleaning. She takes a prescription allergy medicine twice a day because over the counter wasn’t working. The vet suggested introducing a better probiotic and we changed her to sensitive skin food. Even with all of these things my poor baby scratches at her ears all day and shakes her head all the time. When she does that I clean her ears out like vet showed me and they are always clear. Is there anything anyone has done that has helped their babies with ear issues. I’m afraid she’s miserable all the time. Vet said as long as she’s playing she’s fine but she scratches her ears until they bleed. She sleeps so crazy I attached a few pics of her.
Dog Carnivore Grass Companion dog Hound

Flooring Wood Road surface Floor Asphalt

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
The only thing I would advise is yogurt daily maybe just plain yogurt. Probiotics for gut health. But stay away from "Grain Free," for itching issues! It might stop the itching issues. But it will cost you your dog in the long run.

And kenalog shots' can provide immediate relief, but you don't want to keep her on those long term. And perhap's try a different Vet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I would advise is yogurt daily maybe just plain yogurt. Probiotics for gut health. But stay away from "Grain Free," for itching issues! It might stop the itching issues. But it will cost you your dog in the long run.

And kenalog shots' can provide immediate relief, but you don't want to keep her on those long term. And perhap's try a different Vet?
I have thought about switching vets but we love our vet. We have 2 other dogs not boxers that have always gone there and are very healthy. Dakota is healthy I just hate to see her scratch at her ears so much. We have another follow up appointment from the new allergy medicine so I’ll ask about the shot and other options. All my babies are on vet prescribed probiotics, food and they get a vet recommended daily yogurt supplement. All 3 are on a different food based on their diet needs. I just wish I could help her have immediate relief. I tried cortisone cream on the red spots inside her floppy part of the ear. That seemed to calm the itchiness for a little bit but it didn’t last. But I appreciate all the advice. I’ve never had a boxer before and she’s so fun! She keeps all of us laughing.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Welcome in! My little girls name is Dakota too! And she has itchy ears too! My Kodiescearvproblem is linked to allergies 1 cytopoint injection lasts 8 weeks it does work. I regularity use easOtic ear medication on her ear flaps only most of the time I wipe her flaps with warm washcloth too when we do face cleaning I just use water no soap. Please avoid the grain free dog food I’m sure people will be pushing on you. You get the easOtic at the Vets

·
Registered
451 Posts
Could be that it is totally environmental and not food related at all. I would use Zymox otic 1%. Was Dakota the runt of the litter? Some times not enough of colostrum or missing being on the teat in the 1st 24 hours will be a factor. imo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts