Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read so many stories (some shocking and sad) about people mistaking our boxers for pittbulls or other breeds with not so good reputations (and i'm not having a dig at those breeds). I get people crossing over the road to avoid us, dirty looks, parents pulling their children close etc.
Sometimes you do get someone nice - yesterday it was a homeless guy at the train station where i was waiting for my Dad - he came over and stroked Voltaire who doesn't like strokes from strangers but stayed calm & polite :lol: . I waited 20 minutes outside in the cold because i knew if i went inside people would glare at us.
I thought about using a muzzle to reassure people but after talking to an Amstaff owner she says it makes people worse :(  - they think your dog is really mean if it's muzzled. And i feel i have to take Voltaire with me to get him used to seeing lots of cars, people and noise. But i'm starting to feel guilty that it seems to distress people.
Does such a thing exist as a collar which says "BOXER" or "I AM A BOXER" on it? I'd buy one if it did exist. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get your dog accepted in public places???

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
A MUZZLE would only make him look scarier... unfortunately.

The really IGNORANT PEOPLE would still be scared of him even if you had a collar that said "I AM A BOXER".

Dr. Fosters and Smith... have a collar that you can have their name and number sewed in on... I don't see why you couldn't just have I AM A BOXER on it instead... I'll look it up for you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
This is the only one I found but I was thinking why don't you get a boxer t-shirt (hat during winter) and wear that while you are in town.  It might be easier to see rather than a collar; just an idea.

http://www.collargirl.com/boxer_collar.html

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm not even sure some people know what a boxer is.  It's funny, people either come right up to me and say "what a cute boxer" or they just stay away.  And my boy is still just a puppy, I can only imagine what it'll be like when he's full grown.  I don't feel guilty though, we're not doing anything wrong.  I generally don't like strange people approaching me anyway  :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
It won't matter. People are intimidated by the Boxers looks...which ironically is part of the reason we chose one. I didn't think they would mistake him for a pit though!

Its something about their athleticism that freaks people out...the undershot jaw and square head doesn't help either!

p.s.
Voltaire looks awesome!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info :D . Will definitely look into it. It's always a bit more complicated because of shipping :roll: ! Maybe i could get one done that says "BIG FAT WUSS". :lol:

·
Registered
942 Posts
kind of like Mastray said, put a coat on him, dogs in coats are preceived as friendly and cute. Every year after Thanksgiving we take Kaci and Milo to the Plaza for the lighting ceremony and even big ol' Milo people call cute b/c we put red and white bells around his paws and neck.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LOL I was trying to find a magazine I got in the mail... something like "Things you didn't even know existed!" It has a talking dog collar in it... I want it for Odin... lol it says the silliest things.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Annette, I totally understand...When I was walking Buck, who does look intimidating, I actually threatened to hang a sign around his neck saying "i am a boxer".....Course then I would be assuming that people can and will read....Maybe asking for too much there  :lol: Are you saying my handsome Voltaire is a wuss? He can be a wuss for me anyday....

G

·
0 Posts
K really suck that site dosen't ship to canada i tried to order one for baby....crap!!!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sumya has not been mistaken for a pitbull (yet),however  i have been yelled at by people for not moving out of the way with sumya when they walk by.i kinda breaks my heart because she is so darn cute and sweet. i just love it when people come right up to her and tell me that she makes them want to go get a boxer. but sadly, more people have shown fear and anger more than anything else.the reacton i get is one  of the biggest reasons why i did not get her ears done.i thought that maybe floppy ears would make her look more approachable,(and plus they look so cute on her! :D )

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alot of people are just plain scared of dogs.Especially dogs that are a medium to large size.I just met a guy the other day that is scared of all dogs,big and small.He had no reason other than saying that dogs just scare the hell out of him.I thought this was kinda stupid until I really thought about it.99% of people avoid spiders and snakes and there really is no reason for it.Most spiders and snakes will not harm you but people still avoid them.So I guess that having an uneasy feeling or just wanting to give a little extra space to a dog that weighs 50 to 90 lbs and has rippling muscles and broad chest is kinda OK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts