Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Mr. Tyson hurt our Chihuahua Brian. they were playing and Brian fell off of the back of the chair, and by the sound that he made I thought that he was dying. He won't put his back rear leg down, and if you touch his paw he screams bloody murder. How do you know if it is broken, or just bruised? The vet said that it may be sprained but not to bring him in unless he doesn't start to try to walk on in for a couple days. But what if there is something really wrong with it. He is in pain :(. Anyone know, have helpful tips?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yeah I have to say I agree with that one.  Generally with a sprain or bruise they will put the leg down on the ground or at least touch down on the toes limping.  With a break, crack or fracture they generally hold it up all the time without putting weight on it....Plus if it is broken or cracked and needs to be put in a cast or splint I would want to go ahead and do that not wait for several days unless there is alot of swelling on the leg.

I would go in and get something for the pain either way.....Is this your normal vet you talked to?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, it is our normal vet, the same that everyone in the family uses. There is quite a bit of swelling that has come up tonight right above his paw area. Before his little "doggie elbow" for lack of a better term. I did call the vet after I noticed that and she said that it is a sprain, but a bad one, and now he has medicine. It just hurts my feelings to hear him cry. Poor Tyson wont leave the side of Brian's crate either, he's sleeping beside it now :(

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
aww poor thing he feels badly..thats so sweet,...im glad hes resting comfortably...

good luck healing Brian :) hang in there Tyson hell be back to nomal before ya knwo it :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hope the the little guy gets to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I woud NOT wait any longer. Take this dog to the vet immediately.......Just like for a human break, blood circulation can be cut off and he could lose that leg....Your vet should kow this........ :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is better today, his swelling is going down and his meds for pain seem to help a lot. The hardest part is keeping him from wanting to wrestle with Tyson. but he is feeling much better I can tell.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
glad he is feeling better....if it is a sprain it will be a few days to a week before he feels like being on it...probably will fell like being on it before he reallt should.  Glad the med's are helping him

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brady sometimes gets a little bruised playing with Abby too..thank goodness he is a hearty little devil...all that padding to protect his short little bones.. :) You hate hearing that occassional thump...he tends to come running to me and I notice that he is sensitive in a certain area...but within about 4 or 5 days, he is back to normal.  In the meantime though, he is right back at it. Boxers just play so hard...fortunately, Brady is learning how to battle back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts