Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just learning about my boxer and she is wonderful but she has come into her first heat and has had her first bleed.....AND SHE STINKS!!! really bad is this normal? she is creat trained so the only place coverd in blood is her bed but it stink so bad I am really worried about her I have talk to a vet but all they said was dogs do stink when menstrating and because i am pregnant it is just worse for me.... but i don't think so....if you have any info i could use i would be greatful forever!!!.....and another problem i have is she wont gain any weight she is not skinny skinny but i don't think she is up to par.... i have heard of silk balls but they don't seam to be working for her.....please please help!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: I am really needing help with my new boxer please help m

I had my bitch spayed before her first estrus, so I can't really comment, but I would imagine that if the vet says it's normal, then you probably don't have much cause to worry.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Dont have any advice on heat cycles...

Are you planning to breed her?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No you can not see her hips or ribs except when she streches or turns the right way and i did think they should be chunky lol as i said i am just geting to know about boxers...as to breeding i still have not made up my mind about breeding her i would like another boxer as that is the only dog i have had where i feel comfortable leaving my kids with in the room my almost 2 year old snuggles on the couch with her all the time and now that she is crated he sits by the crate and talks to her my kids really love her so i would like to have another boxer but......i was told if i was to breed her i was abusing her as there are to meny unloved boxers out there as it was and they need a home but when i went to get one i was told i could not as i have young children at home....so my only option is to buy (way out of my price range i am a singal mother soon the be 4 kids) or breed her keep one or two puppies and find homes for others.... but i do not feel comfortable doing that as i want a good home for them and if i was to send a puppy to a bad home i would never forgive my self....so not sure what to do as of yet.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I'd have to agree with Eimear that you are probably more sensitive to the smell, however, if you are really worried then perhaps you should have her checked by a vet to make sure there is no infection.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

babygirl\";p=\"39310 said:
No you can not see her hips or ribs except when she streches or turns the right way and i did think they should be chunky lol as i said i am just geting to know about boxers...as to breeding i still have not made up my mind about breeding her i would like another boxer as that is the only dog i have had where i feel comfortable leaving my kids with in the room my almost 2 year old snuggles on the couch with her all the time and now that she is crated he sits by the crate and talks to her my kids really love her so i would like to have another boxer but......i was told if i was to breed her i was abusing her as there are to meny unloved boxers out there as it was and they need a home but when i went to get one i was told i could not as i have young children at home....so my only option is to buy (way out of my price range i am a singal mother soon the be 4 kids) or breed her keep one or two puppies and find homes for others.... but i do not feel comfortable doing that as i want a good home for them and if i was to send a puppy to a bad home i would never forgive my self....so not sure what to do as of yet.
Theres nothing wrong with breeding her... as long as you do it properly and have her and the male health tested....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

......i was told if i was to breed her i was abusing her as there are to meny unloved boxers out there as it was and they need a home but when i went to get one i was told i could not as i have young children at home....so my only option is to buy (way out of my price range i am a singal mother soon the be 4 kids) or breed her keep one or two puppies and find homes for others.... but i do not feel comfortable doing that as i want a good home for them and if i was to send a puppy to a bad home i would never forgive my self....so not sure what to do as of yet.
You are not "abusing" her, just there are certain ways to go about breeding to ensure you are producing healthy puppies.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The male is a very healthy show dog the people who own him love baby's colouring i guess she is kinda rare around here and i had her in to the vets they keep telling me its ok but it really stinks!!! lol i guess its just me :) .....I am not to sure how old she is I found her at animal control

and this is her story.... I was so upset with the condition of her I told the guy that he was to give me the dog or I was going to have him shut down, he gave me the dog and I still had him shut down she was a rack of bones very discusting but i saw the love in her eyes and knew she was my dog when i tracked down the owners they told me she had papers and they wanted her back i was in agreement i was asking for a replasemenet.... they got a mut i was not going to take a mut for a boxer especialy after i had paid to have blood work and every test that needed to be done for her done. so i told them i was not going for it  that we could come to an agreement so i took her to their hom and found a puppy mill so sad i cryed all the way home i never left her there no way!!! i also called the humane society and had them arested and charged and now she lives with us..

and i can't get the papers i really can't afford to get them so the owners have agreed to breed when she gets older and we both keep one puppy and sell the rest to get her papers but i am still not to sure i want to do that..... I do not want to be a puppy mill!!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

and i can't get the papers i really can't afford to get them so the owners have agreed to breed when she gets older and we both keep one puppy and sell the rest to get her papers but i am still not to sure i want to do that..... I do not want to be a puppy mill!!!
If you dont know her family history, you honestly should not breed her. Also the contract of selling puppies for $$ so you can get the papers is not really a good reason to breed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

You did a good thing by protecting your girl from her previously bad owners, but I don't think anyone on this site can recommend breeding her.  It's not to be mean, it's because you don't know her background or what genetic defects are either dominant or recessive in her lines so finding a male to better her qualities would be impossible, and color is the last consideration for breeding.  Believe me when I tell you it will be far less expensive in the long run to start over with health tested breeding stock if you are going to get into breeding than it will be to merely hope you hit the jackpot with this girl.  You may get healthy puppies, but you would be breaking every rule in the book to do so.  The American Boxer Club has adopted a Code of Ethics that we as boxer lovers and owners have agreed to adhere to.  To ask us to do less is just not going to happen.  Please continue your research and learn as much as possible about what you are getting yourself into - I know you don't want to become just another byb. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

to HannaBanana she is being fed beniful about 2 cups during the morning and 4 cups at night lots of water she also gets penut butter as the kids feed her their toast or sandwiches she also gets some raw food if i have to much chicken or beef or lamb chops or goat i give her and my other dog the rest. I know some don't like the raw food thing but to each their own she really likes the raw and she is really good about the bones the kids and i can walk right up and take the leg bone or chicken off her and she just waits for us to give it back no barking no growling nothing she is the perfect dog lol except when it comes to the cats but that is another story.

As the the cost of medical procedures i have insurance on both dogs and i do regular payments every month so if anything goes wrong it is coved by my account as it stands i have about 20 thousand in the account and they are coverd up to 50 thousand on the insurance so i have no worries there..... its non-medical procedures i have to worry about but it should be coverd by my account... i do not want to use that to get the blood work done for the papers.. papers don't make the dog the dog makes the dog i would like to have the papers but its not going to ruin baby if i don't.. I would rather make sure i have enough money for the dogs health then the dogs pedigree.

As to her health check up she has had the overall cheeck she is not fixed so my vet recomended getting all the blood work done just to make sure she is not lame or has some kinda strange health problem as she does go out side and any dog could breed her if not watched very carefully she has had a pelvic exam to make sure she don't have...some thing to do with a puss filled uteris or that her hips and birth canel is formed right and a bunch of other x-rays blood work and exams not to sure what but she was given a great bill of health.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

to HannaBanana she is being fed beniful about 2 cups during the morning and 4 cups at night lots of water she also gets penut butter as the kids feed her their toast or sandwiches she also gets some raw food if i have to much chicken or beef or lamb chops or goat i give her and my other dog the rest. I know some don't like the raw food thing but to each their own she really likes the raw and she is really good about the bones the kids and i can walk right up and take the leg bone or chicken off her and she just waits for us to give it back no barking no growling nothing she is the perfect dog lol except when it comes to the cats but that is another story.
I am going help ya thru the nutrition thing, and leave the breeding alone (please do research!!:)

Ok, beniful is a really low quality food.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

My recommendations (please note these are only recommendations)

I would if you are comfortable feeding kibble and raw - do maybe -

Kibble in the am, use some sardines, canned makrel, cottage cheese, plain yogurts as add-ins.  Try to see what you can find to upgrade the kibble a bit.   I feed my 55lbs female about 1.5 cups of a human grade kibble (much less food when its better ingredients).   If she is a bit on the skinny side, maybe do 2 cups, or 1.5 cup with a protein heavy (cottage cheese) add in.

For the PM - Why not stick to raw?   RMBs are great, but want to make sure she is getting the proper nutrition with the bone and meat as well.  Organ meat is cheap.  Also chix necks and backs can be scored at a good butcher for low dough!  (they usually discard them).    I usually feed about 1.5 pounds of meat in the PM.     I am lazy and use premade with a RMB.  

Of couse snacks are welcomed, what dog does not like treats!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I really do agree with you guys that is why she is not breed yet i still feel it is wrong to back yard breed but i do still want another puppy or older dog but not just any dog a boxer i do take really good care of my dogs and other animals and get them the best care possible...lol some say i treet my animals as good as i treat my kids...lol my frog;s can tell you that and my cats out side and in... i am called the animal lady i take in all animals which is why i have such a large account with the vets i take in stay cats and  get them fixed males i release back in to the wild femals i try to find homes if not they go back to the wild but being fixed they can not reproduce and i put out food and water and they get their needles and other shots cold meds regulary so i do know about over breeding and how it hurts the animals to do bad stuff to them. i will do more research and mabey try to do another adoption but i get shut down everywhere i go because i have young kids and this was before i got preg with my 4th child lol my friend say i have enough animals but baby has reached into my heart and my kids that i just have to have another, and my other dog moe is a husky shep wolf and i am fighting to keep him the township wants him put to sleep so he is going to be going soon to a new home out side of town so nothing happens to him. i hate these stupid laws agenst animals who have done nothing wrong grr it make sme so mad..any way thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i get raw from avituar my friends boyfriend works there he has sled dogs that he feeds raw to and brings me the same stuff he feeds his sled dogs along with the vitamins and yes i will switch to another dog food. please can you make a list of dog food in ont that i could pick up for her or any resipies that i could make for her. and she only gets that much food because when i got her she was sickly skinny and i always over feed my animals kinda my fopaw i never want to see my dogs food dish empty can't stand it!!! but i know that it is bad and i have to curve my bad habits and i am working on it lol slowly....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I'm sure you are a true animal lover and my comments are meant in the kindest way because I love boxers too and I just want the best for the breed as a whole.  Sounds like you have your hands full with kids and animals so I wish you good luck and look forward to hearing more about all of them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

thank you for your help and i hope i can get this whole boxer feeding and health worked out.... I am still wanting a puppy but will hold off untill further notice.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

Here is a list of foods that are human grade.  Also check out this site -

www.dogfoodanalysis.com   it list all and every dogs food, grades it by starts.  Also has pros and cons of ingredients.

I always suggest for the economical foods, Nutro Ultra, Canidae, Chix Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Merricks.    I use Timberwolf Organics, but can be pricy.   I would maybe go to the Canidae site.

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html    And find store locator.    Petsmart and Petco sells Nutro Ultra.    However most of the other stuff you find a smaller specialty stores, and cost about the same as the stuff sold in the commerical stores for human grade kibble.

Good Luck, and feel free to PM if you need help locating any distributors!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

I know in ontario it is really hard to find most of the foods hanna listed and they are expensive here, almost 60$ for a large bag, well more expensive than the USA however i found that pet value chains carry all the holistic brands and they even have an in house brand called preformatrin or something like that which has ingredients that are similar to canidae and the others. it is cheaper and i think they do this to sell their own brand but whatever. i am still researching it but from the ingredient list it seems really good and im thinking of switching maverick to it because it is cost affordable and healthy.

Also they will give you a few samples of different foods usually to try out and see what you like. For raw foods, i know the petcetera stores carry this ready made raw food....it's cheaper to do your own but if youre squeamish like me you can buy the precut little meat things that have a chart that tells you how much to feed for your weight class

Question for Hanna: When is it too early to start feeding raw in the PM to your boxer? Just curious

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Question for Hanna: When is it too early to start feeding raw in the PM to your boxer? Just curious

I think anytime after about 4 months is fine.   I would start with premade raw - its the easiest for pups.   With Kash I fed him a chix wing, it took him a bit, but he got it down.  A friend says he has great success with Chix backs with Kash's brother.  He divides them into three parts and feeds.     Read some info in the raw section if you are not going to use premade.  It will tell you what and how much to start off with.

Here is another good link -

http://www.rawdogranch.com/gettingstarted.htm

Its confusing, but sometimes i find premade to be the best way to start out, once you gain the knowledge and understanding, you can dig right in!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts