Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that people think ear cropping is like satanic or something.People that I have spoke with act like it is just the worse thing ever.Then I see the voting poll on here and it looks like about 5 to 1 people prefer natural ears.I would just like to hear some of the reasons why people are or are not against it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Some people are TOTALLY against it and some just prefer the natural ear. I "prefer" the natural look obviously because my two arent cropped but Im not against it!!  :)  Some people are absolutely anal about cropping (Im sure youve talked to some) like how much pain the dog is in, ect. Its bad ear croppers that did that. They have changed the standard so now its exceptable to have uncropped dogs in the ring! Of course you have alot of bias judges that prefer the cropped over the uncropped but Im sure it will change! My boy is uncropped and currently in the ring. Ok Im rambling...............I prefer the uncropped(natural/floppy look) over the cropped because it adds to the dogs expression but on the other hand the cropped look gives the dog a more regal/proud look.

G

·
0 Posts
I just like the floppy...the look cuter and sweeter and less mean that way...gives a true portrait of the clown of the dog world...the cropped ears just look sooo....snobby

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My sis in laws dog(Mic and Indy's Sire) is cropped and VERY handsome...but, personally, I prefer not to, because I think it makes them look more intimidating...and I don't want people to be any more skittish then they already are! That and it's expensive...but, hey, if a person likes it, then more power to them!! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the cropped look, but my Bf was totally against it......It's just a matter of preference and I wouldn't look down on anyone who had it done.  I  think they look so majestic cropped...but then again , uncroppped gives them a little more character (a little less intimidating I guess)  They are beautiful both ways and as long as you have the proper after care (pain med's if needed) I don't see anything wrng with getting the ears cropped...just my opinion and a matter of preference.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am not against it  and I think it tightens there face up. I think that the cropped and floppy look are both very adorable.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think it all depends on the dog as to whether it should be cropped or not. I am in no way against cropping, but it is purely cosemtic which is why some people have such big problems with it. I betcha that if you ask these people who have issues with ear cropping they are also against plastic surgery and things of that nature. When i get my male (many years from now) i plan on cropping his ears, but my girls now...well with Reese it was a choice not to...her ears flip inside out when she plays and when this happens i just love the expressions she gives me. savannah was 2 we she came to me so i didnt have a choice, but i dont think she would have looked right cropped. in the end it is a purely personal choice-some people just take it too far

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thought we had this topic put to bed ages ago!

Cropping is illegal in Europe and has been for many years, which is why you'll find nearly all of us non-US people on the forum have a strong anti-crop bias.  It's just not seen as acceptable here.  It's completely a cultural thing - I would compare it to male circumcision for cosmetic reasons - perfectly acceptable practice in some countries, seen as almost barbaric in others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input.It is interesting to me,to hear the different opinions instead of just "yes"or "no" on rather someone likes it or is against it.I was not here ages ago or even 3 months ago so I didnt realize that Europe "put it to bed" or that it was illegal.What about docking tails?Is this also illegal?What a crazy law.Well once again thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had 2 boxers about 25 years ago & I had both of their ears cropped. The male's turned out great, but the female had nothing but problems with hers. It wasn't worth the hassle & pain she had to go through. The boxer I have now is a rescue that I got when he was 8 months old. His ears are floppy and I wouldn't put him (or me) through it. He's adorable just like he is!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The tail docking was banned recently in the UK, I know other countries like Germany, it's been dis allowed for quite some time as well. Eimear, how about in Ireland? How long has it been illegal? I realize that they are governed separately from the Uk, obviously....I know from talking to some people that show in the UK, this will be the first year you will see undocked tails in the ring....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
YES tail docking IS illegal in some european countries now!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Both ours have floppy because that's what the wife wanted!  I actually like males with cropped ears better.  People don't like the cropped ears because they feel that the dog is in pain.  As mentioned above, this is typically the result of somebody that doesn't know what there doing.  Now the hardest part is finding somebody who can crop your dogs ears, and do a good job!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Why did I think it had? Guess I got confused with the UK...I should have realized that as Hector & Tink have docked tails.....Duh

1 - 20 of 27 Posts