Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so they are not Boxer Babies.... Fiona is fixed :)

But, some of you may remember that we got my daughter a hamster for Christmas.  Well, I come home tonight and hear my daughter "freaking out" in her bedroom.....I go in there and she is saying something is in her hamsters cage.  I am thinking a bug or a roach or something got in there....who knows.......BUT....to my suprise....I have 3 baby hamsters about a half inch long each......

Well now what, I am no hamster expert at all  I am going to call the store tomorrow and see if they will take them back when they are old enough.  I hear they sometimes eat their babies and I hope that is not the case because my daughter will freak!!!!!

I am going to try and get a picture of them.....:)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
When i was a kid, my friends hamster ate 3 of her babies... it was nasty...  tell her to keep an eye on the mother....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
this happened to me as a kid. ewwww they look all pink when theyre born right? well sometimes they do eat the babies but i hope not because it will upset your daughter for sure. All my parents did was make sure she had plenty of that sawdust stuff and feed her as regular. she dug a nest for the babies in the sawdust and laid on top of them till they were big enough to come out on their own. youre lucky there is only three. we had 11 i think.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donya\";p=\"65266 said:
we had 11 i think.

8O Goodness 11....I would be upset ......well they are fur now so they are probably a day or two old and she has dug a nest and covered them.  I dont know how my daughter even saw anything, but she saw the bedding moving around and was sure something was in there....

·
Registered
3 Posts
when we bought my son a hampster it was a pregnant girl and she had 23 babies.....lucky you only had 3 The best advice I can give you don't touch the babies mom don't like that and is a chance she will eat them,lots of water and food for her also.. Good luck with them

·
Registered
169 Posts
OO i had a guinne pig when i was a kid that ate her babys i was terrified ( i was like 11ish) i know theyarent hampsters but it was real freaky

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GabbysnewMom\";p=\"65268 said:
when we bought my son a hampster it was a pregnant girl and she had 23 babies.....lucky you only had 3 The best advice I can give you don't touch the babies mom don't like that and is a chance she will eat them,lots of water and food for her also.. Good luck with them
That's uh...quite a deal you got there. buy one, get 23 free.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha Yeah I started seeing 11 and 23 and decided to go poke around a little and make sure there were not more....I did not disturb the nest I know there are 3 in there....Thank goodness there were not another 20 hanging around...:)  All we have is 3 and that is 3 to many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
WOW!!!  Maybe there were more than three and she ate some of them already.  Eeeww, that's gross. :sick:

Your daughter is really young, right?  Like 4 or 6 or something?  I hope she doesn't see momma abusing the babies!

Anyhow.  Good luck! :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sharon, I feel your pain!  When I was about 16 my friend was looking for a home for his two male gerbils that he'd had for about 3 years, he couldn't keep them anymore because their Yorkshire terrier had recently decided that he didn't like them and was doing dirty protests around the house (after 3 years, go figure!), so I said I'd take them.  Had them home about 3 days and my friend Edel was looking into the cage and says "Eh, Eimear, Luke's male gerbils just had babies".  I was like "Yeah, good one Edel, he has gay gerbils"... had a look in the cage and yep, there they were, 7 little pink baby gerbils, literally a few minutes old.  I started freaking out because I'd read about them eating their young too, rang the vet and was told take the male out or he'll cannibalise the young and was going "And which one is the freaking male???  They're both male!!!"  We made a highly scientific decision that the fatter one must be the mother and took the other one out.  

Anyway, needless to say, Luke got a rather irate phone call from me.  He genuinely thought I was winding him up until I arrived at his house with the cage.  Seriously, though, what are the chances after 3 years of celibacy that they give birth approx. 36 hours after arriving in my house???

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
So, I guess congratulations isn't in order here?!  :lol:  

I hope no cannibalism happens and that the store takes the babies back. Although....will your daughter want to part from them when they get bigger?  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Sharon,,,Surprise!!!! After reading these other stories I guess you got off light with only having 3...Laughing at your daughter in there talking to all of them, going to be hard to part with them now that she's bonding with them....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts