Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took her to the vet I asked them how would I know if she was fixed or not and they gave me two ways of knowing
One being that she will go in to heat and the other being they would have to reopen her and see. Of course we opted out of them reopening her because I don't want her to have to have surgery for no reason.
I have a couple questions regarding that
1. Are those the only real ways of finding out?
2. How do I know if she is going in heat?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He looked and said that he couldn't see anything  and told me that those were my options... I really didn't like the vet and do plan on taking her somewhere else in the future but for now I was wondering if there was any other way of telling.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also wanted to add that when I took her there It was like taking my newborn to the pediatrician. I was asking all kinds of questions and most of them the vet just blew off and moved on to something else without giving me a solid answer...  When I did my research on veterinary care the one that stood out to me the most was the VCA hospital, I probably should have taken her to something a little less commercial.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I can't see Kiah's scar; not sure when she was spayed so can't say how long it has been.  Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.  Sharon may have some ideas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He felt around but couldn't give me a straight answer...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel was spayed about 6 weeks before we brought her home and you cannot see any scars. I wouldn't recomend a surgery just to see if she has been, that seems rather hazardous if you ask me....How long have you had her now? If I remember, I believe females come into heat maybe twice a year..Andrea is going thru this with Reese, she could tell you the signs....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got her on August Second

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i can't see sumyas spay scar either and it has only been 4 months.i'm sorry to hear that they did answer your questions thourougly(or at all ). you and summer deserve thier undivided attention, i would definately take ger to someone else if you could. just for a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We had Sadie spayed about 6 or 7 weeks ago and you can barely see the scar now.  She's a white girl so that makes it a tad bit easier to find it.  I'd find another vet.  Either way I would not do surgery just to find out if she's been spayed.  In time, you'll know if she goes into heat or not.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You might want to check with your local ASPCA.  They may be able to help with a small donation. I'm sure they get strays all the time that have been fixed and know what to look for so they don't perform surgery on a dog that doesn't need it when adopted out.  Surely an ultrasound would show what they need to see, too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts