Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and I apologize if this topic has been brought up before.  Ali is 6 months old and I don't really have any major problems.  However, when I take time to train him commands like sit, down & stay, he has a tendency to lay down without me giving the command "lay down".  Sometimes he will lay down just because he sees that I have something he wants.  Admittedly :oops:, I hvae not been as consistent with training as I would like.  I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to correct this.  Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Florida

What a smart boy to anticipate the command.  I'm no expert so won't offer any advice but I'm sure you'll get some good tips from those who are.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, and that is one of the harder commands to get mastered!!!! Read thru our training Sticky topics for some good help in that area...

Welcome to the forum  :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum! LMAO Lay down is the only basic command that Sadie just can't wrap her head around  :lol: Like Willow said, the training section of this forum is an awesome resource. For Sadies training, we use lots of tiny treats or pieces of kibble and LOTS of praise. But the lay down...its just difficult! Good boy! LOL. Try saying when he lays "lay down" and then treat. He should eventually start to associate the word with the action. (and the reward)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know Soloman would sit all the time on his own when we where out for walks. So if he sat on his own I  would just tell him to good sit praise and give him a treat. It made teaching him to sit a brease. I say run with it

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin does this. Not as much as he use to but I think it's because we spent more time teaching him "down" (lay down) than we did sit... so he thinks that he'll be mostly right if he just DOES IT! I've slowed it down by asking him other things instead, since he obviously knew 'down'. Then I noticed if I had the treat in the LEFT hand he'd anticipate me telling him "shake". So he'd automatically start lifting his paw before I'd say anything. So I started swapping hands with that command... and it's almost stopped.

They are so eager to please along with the simple fact that they WANT THAT TREAT! I think they can get a little carried away. I'm no expert but I'd just try shaking things up a little bit. Maybe even drop the command all together for a little while... it worked for Odin. I scramble things up and never say the commands too many times in the same sitting.

I would ALWAYS say "down" right after "sit" and that's where his laying down constantly came from. Now I say... "sit"... "shake"... "down"... "crawl"... "leave it"... etc. Then say them in a different order. I've noticed I've kinda started getting into this pattern so I've realized that and started making it more random... before he gets imprinted on that. SORRY didn't mean to make it so long!

Good luck! He's just so eager to please you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry I missed this one earlier, but I've trained that the down is only done on my command.  While they are "working" they must sit until given the command for the down. I've got one girl that LOVES to try to lay down, and I have to remind her as soon as she starts to move into the down.  I use AT AT as a vocal cue, and then remind her sit.  I also use lots of hand signals, so I re-enforce the verbal with a hand signal.   There are lots of training ideas out there, but I've found that often times if you can talk to other owners in your area, or find a training group (obedience, agility, schutzhund, etc) in your area that you can find enormous support and help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts