Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need advice/help.

We've had our girl home for almost a week. She is a 14 month old female and I've had good assistance so far. We've all fallen in love, started training, and things are going great.

My wife came to me in tears a few minutes ago. She is starting to have severe allergy symptoms. We are truly hoping that something else is going on in the house.

What can we do? What can we do to mitigate, clean, etc..

I hate to see us have to make a change. I told my wife that after 23 years, I've gotten very used to her and I'd miss her if she had to move out so that we could keep our wonderful boxer girl.... :)

Thanks,

GT

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome to boxer forums - Although I haven't had any run ins with allergies as of yet, im almost pretty sure that somebody on here has. Also you could ask sharon or look through a few of the topics that have already been posted. Good luck

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am actually very allergic to cats or I should say cat dander as most people who are allergic it is to the dander.....

I work at a veterinary hospital and I have a cat and a boxer in my home...yep kind of crazy but I knew I was allergic to cats before I went to Vet School :).....I suffer from seasonal allergy as well...

I take Zyrtec everyday and I have to give the cat a bath every two weeks, if he likes it or not and trust me he does not....I generally dont have any problems with it at all since starting the Zyrtec....before that I used clariton with pretty good results as well.....:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
See, I knew Sharon would help! I think I should get a job predicting the future... Silly me :p

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We also have another member, Jeep Kuntry who has allergies as well, hopefully he will pop in with some good advice for you....Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything that can be done in the environment to help? Does frequent vacuuming help, how often to bath the dog? Is there anything special to bath the dog in?

I actually am quite allergic as well. My wife was told a year ago to start taking the shots, but we didn't start then. Maybe we'll have to start doing that.

Thanks,

GT

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Bathing might help, but Boxers don't usually need baths much, so you would need to get a very mild shampoo. Earth Bath Oatmeal is a good one..Vacuuming would help also..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
air purifier (sp??) that helps alot as well-i believe that is what JeepKuntry uses in his home. We use it in my living room where my girls are most. it helps alot!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just thought of this but here they offer something called a shed x or shed less but it is supposed to reduce hair and dander and help allergies. Just an idea. I am not sure if it is offered anywhere else.
Samantha

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a lot of allergies....I take Claritin D everyday...365 days a year on the advice of a doctor. It has really helped keep my allergies under control.
I have a bad day once in a while, but for the most part the Claritin works well.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have allergy problems myself, although thankfully not to animals, but I've done some reading on the subject. The best thing you can do is create one allergy-free room in the house.  The best place is the bedroom, because you spend a lot of time there and allergies tend to be worst in the middle of the night.  At least for now don't let the puppy in the bedroom so your wife can breathe easy at night.  Get an air filter.  Unfortunately you have spend at least over $100 for one that will actually work, make sure it's a HEPA filter, and do some research so you don't waste your money (a lot of them are useless).  If you have forced air heat, cheesecloth over the air vents can reduce the circulation of pet dander and hair.  Brush the dog once a week and do it outside.  Vacuum the house every week, and do it when your wife is not home.  A hepa vacuum cleaner is the best, and make sure to change the filters/bags often.  Don't let the puppy on the furniture.  Get rid of as much carpeting as possible, hard wood floors are an allergy sufferers best friend.  A lot of stores sell these pet wipes that supposedly remove dander.  One brand a lot of people swear by is Allerpet.  I've yet to see it in stores though.  I know places like Petco and Target have the same product under different names.   I can't really say whether these work or not but they are worth a shot.  And as suggested, OTC allergy pills can work wonders.  I hear good things about zyrtech but you could even start with cheaper generic versions and see if they work.  Keep trying different ones.   The one thing I've learned about allergies is that a lot of people are allergic to a variety of things, and only have a really bad time when there is a high level of a combination of sources.  For example, if your wife is allergic to dogs and pollen, sometimes just reducing one of those culprits can eliminate the allergy symptoms.  Sometimes just finding out the exact culprits and learning to avoid them is half the battle.  Even if she's allergic to dogs, she might be ok when pollen levels are low because the concentration is not high enough to produce symptoms.  It's very likely if she's allergic to dogs she's allergic to something else.....maybe dust, or something.  Maybe keeping the house free of dust would make the dog bearable because removing one allergen is enough!  You never know.  Seeing an allergist and getting some tests done wouldn't be a bad idea.  I believe allergies come and go in people as they get older, and while many doctors would tell you otherwise, I do think it's possible to build up a tolerance to mild allergies.  I know people who simply got used to their pets who originally bothered their allergies.  

Good luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bissell makes two vacuums which you may want to look into for cleaning purposes...one is the Healthy HOme, which is what we have. The other is an animal version (cannot recall the name but I seem to recall that the features were very similar to the Healthy HOme one but may be cheaper).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts