Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think Reeko would make a good therapy dog?? I really think he would excel at it! Hes calm, friendly! Recently hes met my husbands Aunt Rita. She is currently in a wheelchair and dependent on other people! 2 years ago she had a really bad brain hemmorage and since then her family have basically slpit up and her husband ditched her. So they started comming here on the weekends. His mom works on the reservation in Oneida and comes back here on the weekends so she brings Rita! I caught Reeko giving her some lovins today!

Im thinking Ill put him in obedience and get his CGC then onto Therapy classes along with him in the conformation ring Id also like to get him into Rally-O!

Heres the pic of my lover boy:)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Personally I think boxers would make excellent therapy dogs.  :)  I took Maddie into a nursing home that my MIL is in and she was wonderful. I was really proud of her. I had only had her for about 2 months, so she really didn't have too much training, and she was very well behaved and the residents there just adored her. I can only imagine how a very well trained boxer would be at something like that.  :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Great Idea!! That would be SO WONDERFUL! I'd love to do that with Odin but he gets SO EXCITED around new people... though I'm sure training would help with that. When I worked at a nursing home... the residents love me bringing in my ferrets. Some of course thought they were rodents and didn't care for them... but so many loved them. And what better than a ferret!??? A DOG!! Not just A DOG... A BOXER!! Great idea!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Go for it Cindi..I had actually considered doing that with Samson as well, just couldn't find the time.Or the training needed ..Boxers make great therapy dogs as they are so people orientated and natural clowns...It would be great for both of you  :)

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, do that with Reeko...I plan on doing that with Jetta...I am going to put her in beginning obediance then the Advanced obedience with the CGK...she has grown up around my aunt (visits her weekly to every other week) who has Cerebral Palsey and uses a cane/powerchair...and just loves to be around them...my uncle...her husband uses crutches or a wheelchair and she has shown no fear, just jumps on their laps and gives kisses...we were out walking once and a lady on a wheelchair was going down the street...Jetta got right up on the chair to give kisses (she was only 10 lbs then, lol)...I found a site that talks about the requirements for therapy dogs...

http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

they really do a lot of testing for them!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i think it would be excellent if reeko were to become a therapy dog! i say go for it. they are classified as working dogs and could not be more perfect for that job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts